PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer problems

Paul Beazer
25-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Help!

Had a problem yesterday when we had a power cut whilst on the pc. Now when i load up IE6 it wont instigate a dial up connection and wont display any web pages at all! I've tried uninstalling IE6, checked the connection details etc etc and still its the same. Im using Firefox at the mo which is fine, but i still want to be able to use IE6 at some point (windows update for example)

Any suggestions please?

BraindG
25-02-2006, 02:59 PM
I theory, if your using FF, you'd never need to use IE ever again - the only reason i do is to allow me to log into club with test account at same time..

Take it you manually start the modem now?
Have you tried looking in tools/internet connections/connections?

Funkstar
25-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Have you tried a system restore to before the power cut. May help.

On the Uninstall of IE is there a Repair feature? May be worth lookingat that.

Paul Beazer
25-02-2006, 05:55 PM
This day gets worse!

Now cant even log on in safe mode. Repair job now in progress. Bl@@dy computers!

Mine has been playing up for 2 weeks now! This is the third rebuild i've done and just replaced the hard drive last week, getting pretty fecked off with this cr@p!

Still my old faithful win2k laptop keeps going at least....

Nick VR4
25-02-2006, 06:15 PM
There are a few Viruses going around that stops you logging in in Safe mode and a few stop AntiVirus running and block the site

What AntiVirus are you running? are you upto date with signatures

Paul Beazer
25-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I use AVG which is uptodate.

Ending repairing XP and all is well. Have run virus scan etc to make sure and all seems to be ok now.

Bladdy computers!

Springie
25-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Just for interest i found a new browser called "Advant Browser" its build on IE base but tabs, and its way faster. You can get it at download.com.

Also, theres is a site i found about firefox myths and how its not actually as good as it appears.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

The only thing i can think of for IE is check the settings in tools/internet options/Connections and select Dial whenever a network connection is not present. But that all ready been mentioned.

chris702564
02-03-2006, 03:49 PM
hi do you still have your start up disk for windows XP if so i would say that you need to restart windows,yes you will lose all your saved files but it would get rid of the problem

also a nothe thing is avg all you use i use:
AVG (free download)
microsoft anty spy ware (free download)
spybot S&D (free download)

and if you have AOL you get free McAfee firewall/viruses scaner
+ i have a fue that i have payed for it's better to have to menny that to little because if 1 don't pick it up 1 of the others will!!!

V6Dan
02-03-2006, 04:49 PM
And if you're a devout firefox user (like me) - use the IETabs plugin (just do a google for IETabs) and it renders the window in a pseudo IE, thus allowing you to use windows update and our helpdesk software amonst other things..

Nick VR4
02-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Yes you can use more than one AV scanner but you can't have both running at the same time as they will conflict with each other.

I also belive that the Free of Charge AV's are not looked after well a new Malware was doing the rounds a few weeks ago every paid for AV software had a signature file made within hours or was already picking up the Virus
But some of the FOC Vendors it took them over 24 hours to get a sig file to download

There are two types of anti-virus programs. Those that you invoke explicitly (called on-demand scanners) and those that are always active in the background (called on-access scanners).

You should never let two on-access scanners monitor your system at the same time. Instead of providing better protection, the combination of two or more such scanners will likely cause your system to behave in a weird manner and possibly crash because the scanners will interfere with each other.

Also, a single background scanner will use some of the resources of your computer; the supplementary protection offered by the second scanner is not worth the additional resources it consumes (and the additional trouble mentioned above).

However, you can install as many on-demand scanners as you wish. Because they do not run simultaneously, they won't disturb each other, and two scanners detect more viruses than one. Note that you should switch off your on-access scanner before running an on-demand scanner.

On-Access Scanners (sometimes called Memory Resident Scanners), as their name implies, run in the background all the time the PC is switched on and running. Usually you will see a little icon in the taskbar that indicates it's there. The main function of an on-access scanner is to monitor all activity on your machine, like files being read, processor streams, Internet downloads, receiving, sending and reading email and so on.

Basically they watch what's going on, and if they see something that they think is a virus, they tell you about it.