PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Groans

bernmc
26-02-2006, 07:18 PM
This last week, my driver's side front suspension has developed the most awelful loud graoning. Most evident when turning right or left with a bit of speed (right worse). Nothing if I turn the wheel when standing still.

Any ideas what it could be? I've had the wheel off, and can;t see anything obvious. Powersteering fluid is full too.

DUNLY
26-02-2006, 07:32 PM
ummmmm yup.

dont want to scare you here, but mines was doing the exact same, infact reading it again THE EXACT SAME. have u gave the wheel a good shake? any play?? could here mine knocking a bit. took mine to the mechanic expecting just new bearings. haha NOPE. it needs a new cv joint a HUB (mitsubishi part only) bearings and a big bolt. the HUB is 150 odd from mitsi, cv joint 80 odds i think bearing comes with the HUB and the Bolt only a couple of quid. including labout talking 400 odd, shall let u know the bill when it comes through.

good luck :2thumbsup

bernmc
26-02-2006, 07:43 PM
No play in my wheel, no knocking. Driveshaft is about 4 months old, so CV should be fine. Hub is original though :(

DUNLY
26-02-2006, 07:49 PM
i know this sounds daft but have u grabbed the wheel and gave it a good shake?

bernmc
26-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Yeah - had it up on the jack, tried to pull it every which way to replicate the groans. Solid as a rock.

DUNLY
26-02-2006, 07:54 PM
tyre pressure???? other than that, not got a scooby mate. good luck!

bernmc
26-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Tire pressures are fine too - checked last night.

Noise is definately coming from the suspension - whenever the front compresses.

RED
26-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Dry rubber on your strut mounts? Give em a squirt of something lubricating and see if that helps

Jane:happy:

vrfan
26-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm getting something similar, again on the offside. A loud squeal when you go from straight to near full lock. I only hear it at low speed though, like junctions in town etc.

It happens at standstill too, so I think it's the ball joint. The gaitor is fine and there was excess grease on the nipple so it's been filled recently. It's just that mine is intermittent, started about a week ago but only heard it twice since. Makes it hard to pin-point.

Any ideas?

bernmc
26-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Dry rubber on your strut mounts? Give em a squirt of something lubricating and see if that helps

I'll give it a try, Lady in Red. Was a little bit worried that oils/WD40 might mess with the rubber...?

Kieran
26-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I'll give it a try, Lady in Red. Was a little bit worried that oils/WD40 might mess with the rubber...?

I worried about this too. Castrol Do some 'Red Rubber Grease'. Should be just the ticket, or some Silicone lubricant (sometimes known as belt dressing spray) will do nicely.

Nick Mann
26-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Ball joints?

zedy1
27-02-2006, 12:15 AM
wheel bearings?

bernmc
27-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Oh you swines. Those are expensive problems! Would bearings creak and groan only when the suspension loads, or constantly groan? Ball Jt's are possible, I suppose - some of the rubbers were a bit tured when we changed the hub carriers...

colVR4
27-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Sounds like ball joints to me

RED
28-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Have you lubricated your rubbers yet Bern:embarasse Got to try the cheapest option first just in case it works (plus I don't get many ideas that allow me to post in the technical forums/dunce)

Of topic for a mo but did you set up on your own and would you be available around the 5th August and do club members get a discount?:happy:

bernmc
28-02-2006, 08:12 PM
I've greased me rubbers (dirty wretch), but I'm still squealin' like a stuck pig! In fact, it's getting worse. I suspect colVR4 is right - the ball joints had dodgy seals when we changed the hub carriers, and the driver's side one has a hole in it. There's a smattering of grease around it too :(

Anyone know if you can just replace the joints, or whether you have to do the whole lower arm?

I'm going to nip into Xtreme on the way back from work on Thursday morning and see what they think it is. Might have to give Bal a call and see if he can get me some bits.

And the other thing... I still have 2 months of my training contract left (it's only been 17 years after all). Get my ticket on 29 April (and become unemployed too!). If you're serious, I'm sure I can arrange something - we'd have to sort it with your chosen spawning ground. A 100 % discount is available to Club members stupid *ahem* brave *er sorry* wise enough to want my services ;) so you don't need to worry about any of that.

bernmc
03-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Today's star prize goes to colVR4.

Problem solved by removing both lower suspension arms, cleaning and regreasing the ball joints, and reinstalling. Article written here.
(http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14529)
Not sure how long the fix will last, but it buys me some time!

colVR4
03-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Cheers mate, but the credit goes to Dan at Corby Mitsubishi who diagnosed the same problem with my motor. He is currently checking whether it has had the recall done, but can't find any data on it at all from Mitsi UK!!!

Wodjno
06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Have you checked here ??

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5201&highlight=recalls

Nick Mann
06-03-2006, 11:05 PM
So if I wrote ball joints without a question mark in my first post would I get the prize??!!

:p

Wodjno
06-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Did you check the recall status on these Bern.. :thinking:

bernmc
07-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Have you checked here ??

yeah, mines showing all recalls done. May still try UK Mitsi tho ;)

I've still got squeak-free driving after the fix, so holding thumbs...

bernmc
07-03-2006, 09:03 AM
So if I wrote ball joints without a question mark in my first post would I get the prize??!!

Yes. We only favour those who are willing to commit :D

PS have you thought of a job at Xtreme :happy:

bernmc
12-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Rats rats rats. Quiet creaking has recommenced - won't take long before it sounds like a galleon on the high seas again. Ca$h again :(:(

Springie
20-03-2006, 11:42 PM
[edit] sorry wrong thread :uhoh2: