PDA

View Full Version : Newest kid on the block here...

WireD
27-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Øyvind from norway here! :happy:

The missus is crawling my back, demanding that i buy an estate, since the 323 astina i have is more of a toy than a family wagon....!(i dont understand her.... :evilgrin: )

SO, i had a few demands... power, handling.... she wanted a 4wd and lotsa room....

Ive been lookin at those galants for a few years now, but the power out on em hasnt been all that..... until i found the VR4 off course! :evilgrin: This matched the demands of both parts, and im getting tired of german and sweedish steel, as everyone up here has it.... :zzz:

A few small Qs...

1. i see the rear on the cars look different on the uk and japspec models.

how come?

2. i see they come in rallyart and regular versions... difference is?

3. in norway we run 95, 98 unleaded. can this be used on japspec models?

4. what do you recommend i should go for?

5. price differences on the ralliart and regular vr4?

6. equipment/interior/exterior options?

7. your experiences with theese wonderful machines, especially regarding the fuel consumption :2thumbsup

thnx in advance

Øyvind

WildCards
27-02-2006, 05:14 PM
1. Because they're Pre and Post facelift models
2. Ralliart versions are the official UK versions, all others are grey imports
3. 98 preferably, 95 ok but you'll lose alot of power.
4. Depends on your budget
5. Ralliart supplied cars are newer, but if you get an early one they are about the same money
6. Loads of options from TCL, moonroof, MMCS, interior trim (velour/leather/Recaro) etc etc
7. Fuel consumption = ouch : Everything else = :2thumbsup

bradc
27-02-2006, 07:39 PM
1. To continue from Wildcards response, 1996-1998 models are prefacelift with a squarer rear end, and late 1998 to 2002 models are facelift. The front spoiler is slightly differant as well. If you look at my vbgarage (click on clubvr4 cars at the top) and 'dreamer' you will see the differance. Wildcards car is a Super VR-4 which means it has a slightly differant body kit to the normal cars.

2. Probably won't affect you too much, unless you are buying a UK model. If you buy one straight from Japan then it doesn't really matter.

3. 98 is great.

4. I personally like the Facelift cars, but then other people really like the Prefacelift's as well. Another thing to consider is if you would like the Tiptronic gearbox or the Manual gearbox.

5. There isn't really any differance, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

6. On Prefacelift cars they tend to have traction control. Facelift cars tend to have Recaro seats and a Momo wheel as semi-standard equipment. There are millions of other options though, the best thing to do is to probably have a look through the garage and see what some cars have and what some cars don't have, and which options you like.

7. Absolutely love it, don't intend to change any time soon.

Nick Mann
27-02-2006, 07:45 PM
The VR4 only comes with the steering wheel on the right side of the car. Will that be a problem for you?

Nick VR4
27-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Service intervals every 4500 miles

KiwiTT
27-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Gets the newest, well - serviced one you can get.

WireD
27-02-2006, 08:22 PM
The VR4 only comes with the steering wheel on the right side of the car. Will that be a problem for you?

ABSOLUTELY no problem at all! :2thumbsup

Up here, we drive on the right hand side of the road, and lotsa mazdafarians in the norwegian mazdaclub has RHD RX7s, no problem getting used to it :)

WireD
27-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Service intervals every 4500 miles

no problem, i like doing small services... oil replacement on engine, and fluid check on the rear diff, gearbox, coolant...?

WireD
27-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Gets the newest, well - serviced one you can get.

yup, read abit about it on another page here on vr4club. :)

ANOTHER FEW Qs:

1. Gearbox...what do you recommmend? tiptronic or manual? and why? my girlfriend is a A to B caruser. i drive hard at times....!

2. is this aprox. the same gearbox as the evo?

3. tuning, easy? How much, safely, on a standard engine?

4. I found a 2000 model in japan, thats a post-facelift?

like this?(not jap. pic)

http://www.gtcarsuk.co.uk/stockgt443.JPG

So, if i buy them from japan, there is no difference between a ralliart and a legnum vr4?

KiwiTT
27-02-2006, 08:41 PM
1: Depends on your driving. If you are in traffic most of the time select the Tiptronic.
2: Gearbox may be similar
3: Tuning options are not as great as the EVO or GTR. But you should be able to add 20-25% power with a few mods.
4: Yes. 1996-1997 pre-facelift. 1998-2002 post face-lift.

WireD
27-02-2006, 08:53 PM
appreciate all the great answers soo far!

The biggest obstacle is to persuade my girlfriend! :2thumbsup

Is the tiptronic gearbox as fast as the manual one?

Usually on all but american muscle cars, the autotrannys are weaker than the manual.

is this so on the vr4 as well?

KiwiTT
27-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Is your are in anyway an Enthusiast and your girlfriend can drive one - get a manual. However, I do have quite a bit of fun in my tiptronic and it is very responsive to me.

As to lifetime. I have read about manuals clutches going and tiptronic boxes failing. Just keep your servicing up.

As to performance in 1/4 miles they are about the same.

Nick Mann
27-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Manuals are rare so this may not be a fair statement, but in the UK you have to look a long way down the 1/4 mile times achieved before you find a manual. I think Mo is the quickest manual 8g VR4 in the UK at the moment? AFAIK Derek Dave and Myself all have quicker times than him in heavier estates with auto boxes.

KiwiTT's advice is good on the box selection.

WireD
27-02-2006, 09:31 PM
ill keep it in mind when i consider trannychoise on the VR4 :D

I come from Mazda 323s and GT-Rs, and im worried about the small transmissions on the cars with the engine across the engine bay...!
But, the key word for the GT-Rs as well, is maintanance, maintanance.... AAAAND maintanance..! :D

also considering to upgrade the turbos after some time... Therefore, worried about the powerlimit in the transmissions :)

I have seen a few photos of vr4 estates on the strip...

whats the 0-60 and quartermile on theese babies, standard and tuned 25%?

i really appreciate all your answers here, as each of them bring me one step closer to buying one of theese beasts! :afro:

KiwiTT
27-02-2006, 09:35 PM
I think the Tiptronic can handle up to 400hp

WireD
27-02-2006, 10:16 PM
I think the Tiptronic can handle up to 400hp

400bhp of hard driving, spinning loose from start?

or if you ease a little on the start, 400bhp is no problem exeeding?

oh, another thing...

how does the 4wd system work?

KiwiTT
27-02-2006, 11:16 PM
how does the 4wd system work?Very well. If you have the AYC equipped one, even better. Think of it like a Rally Car in an executive body

WireD
27-02-2006, 11:30 PM
found this interresting post :

http://www.wheelsjamaica.com/wheels_forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ba10d610c7178afda12fc3da7d243c b3&topic=18678.msg255353

KiwiTT
27-02-2006, 11:48 PM
That is a Quote from a WebSite review. Simply type Review here and search for lots of info.

WireD
02-03-2006, 08:53 PM
hmmm...

Things are lookin good so far! Girlfriend is almost all go!
All she wants to do, is try a righthanddriven car, and i have gotten a friend of mine who has a right hand drive, to let her try it.

Ive found a 2002 legnum, all leather interior, computer, aircon, and all the other good bits and things you need to feel cool!

Need some extras while were at it, so im thinkin Blitz boostcontroller, blitz bov, volk rims, a good performance exhaust.....a FMIC kit...

What do you recommend of exhausts? cooler kit? anything else i may need if i get this baby?

bradc
03-03-2006, 02:11 AM
I think most exhausts perform about the same, just remove the cat and get a new muffler installed. Most people fit a 600x300x76mm intercooler. After that the mods are endless. Have fun :D

WireD
03-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Is there any aftermarket stainless steel full exhaust out there? what brand? 3" all the way, two tailpipes preferbly.. pics?

what coiloverkit do you recommend?

im going to fill up the car in japan...!

richy rich
03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
most people in the UK get a xorst made rather than an of the shelf job

WireD
03-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Ye... i can do that... did it on my 323 :D

But, what about coilovers? What brand u suggest?

Is there 1 or 2 BOVs on the legnum?

I saw in another post on performance that you speak about black and blue turbos...? and the blue ones were the best.

In what car did the blue ones come?

Kieran
03-03-2006, 08:49 PM
I saw in another post on performance that you speak about black and blue turbos...? and the blue ones were the best.

Errr! Which thread was that? Can you post the link?:inquisiti

WireD
03-03-2006, 08:55 PM
lemmeseee.....

here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14002&highlight=blue+turbo

SportsGTs second post.. :D

Kieran
03-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Aaaaah! That's for the older VR-4, the 7G (1993-1995 I think). The 8Gs all come with the same turbos - there's no differences between the models.

WireD
03-03-2006, 09:00 PM
ah, great! :D

thnx m8! :D

WireD
05-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Had a good long chat with the missus last night, and she is all go, exept she wants to test a right hand driven car first... arranged for it to happen on the
20th of march! Fingers crossed, guys! :D

We are refinancing the appartment to get the loan for the car in under the house morgage.

This is being done on wednesday..!

OH, I CANT WAIT!!! :2thumbsup