PDA

View Full Version : Too many brake lights ?

SGHOM
28-02-2006, 09:53 PM
On my way to work early monday morning, I was hugging the rear end of a van so as not to let scummy beemer/vectra drivers pull into my lane. /Grrr If any of you know mottram hill, you'll know what I mean !! I noticed that every time I braked, my headlights dimmed !! /help
now... I know I,ve got a slightly less powerfull battery fitted, but I would have thought it wouldn.t make that much difference ?? :inquisiti

Could it be my alternator....... or the battery....or the fact we've got too many brake light bulbs !! :book:

Kieran
28-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Pezza was reporting similar problems when he still had his Jap-spec battery fitted (Pezz's car is a 'warm area' car, with the teeny-tiny Jap battery fitted).

BraindG
28-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Mine does it to? ive got a big battery..

Nick Mann
28-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Lots of VR4's do it. Don't worry.

Nick VR4
28-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Mine use to do, cant say I have noticed it lately then again the car only gets driven maybe once or twice a week if lucky and during the day 90%

I-S
01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I thought I had the same thing...

Are you sure that it's not that the lights seem dimmer because the front of the car dips when you brake and lifts when you accelerate? If it was a battery problem (I had this when my old battery was dying) then the idle would drop too low and slowly hunt back up.

If you REALLY want to check whether it's the electrics, wire up a DVM to the 12V and see if it dips when you press the brake pedal. Or, put the handbrake on with the car in drive, and press the brake pedal while stationary to see if it still makes a diff.

ariddell
01-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Mine doesn't do it, should i be worried? :)