PDA

View Full Version : Brake light won't go off

gdelargy
01-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Not entirely sure if this is a brake problem or an electrical one...

Left the house this morning, using the Galant for the first time since Sunday. Temperatures have been sub-zero or thereabouts for the last day or two, so it's just been sitting there. As soon as I moved off, I noticed the brake warning light (pictured) was on:
http://www.2pass.co.uk/brake.gif

I opened both front windows, and couldn't hear any rubbing noise indicating seized pads or drums. I tried hard and soft braking a few times, and everything worked like it should. So I kept going, and for the remainder of my 12 mile journey the light stayed on, much to my annoyance and dread. However, no other problems appeared.

My thoughts:

Electrical fault somewhere?
ABS fault? I don't know yet if the 7G Galant has separate brake and ABS warning lights.
Something has seized at the back, but seized 'off' so there's no rubbing, and isn't affecting braking performance enough that I can feel it.
The brakes have sensors measures pad depth, and it's warning me I'll need to change them soon?
Anything else I haven't thought of?

Any help here would be appreciated. Also, I'll post later tonight, and I can report on whether the warning light stays on all the way home as well.

Regards,
G

Nick Mann
01-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Fluid level. (Most likely)
Handbrake lever switch.

gdelargy
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Brake fluid level ~ I knew I missed summink off me list!
/duh

Anyway, got in the car this evening and the light went off as soon as I released the handbrake, just like it's supposed to. So I reckon it won't be the fluid (unless it can top itself up) or an electrical fault (that'd most likely be intermittent on both journeys, not all the time in the morning and not at all later on).

I'll put it down to something being very slightly seized this morning because of the cold, but not enough to cause problems or be heard. And it seems to have freed itself.

Self-repairing cars, eh? Those Japs think of everything.
:joker:

Regards,
G

richy rich
01-03-2006, 09:17 PM
i don't know but i guess its just the switch frozen up.