PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint replacement

bernmc
01-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Assuming it turns out to be my front offside balljoints that need replacing... I was wondering if you can just do the ball joints, or if it has to be the whole lower suspension arm...?

Is this do-able on the front drive, or should I leave it to the big boys? Anyone got a mini how-to?

Also, should I get new stuff, or is it worth taking a chance with 2nd hand bits from Mo, assuming he has some?

I don't have any free w/ends for the next month, which makes things difficult, but if it's the sort of thing that can be done in a day relatively easily, I might be tempted to have a go....

richy rich
01-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Bern i don't think you can replace the ball joints only
i think it is the lower arm to be replaced

have you checked if your car is under a recall

it is a easy job

i would get new if i was you read the thread by bluey
she had a accident because one gave way

richy rich
01-03-2006, 09:02 PM
bern we nearly removed them when we did your brembos

just a couple more bolts and they would of been out

we could do them for you in a couple of hrs

bernmc
01-03-2006, 10:36 PM
My problem is getting up to you - no free weekends for several weeks now, and it's going to need doing soon - the car is squeelin' like a stuck pig now! Xtreme are going to have a look for me tomorrow just to make a diagnosis. Then I might try bal to see if he can get the bits I need. Are you blokes available anytime in the week at all?

I'm working next Thursday night, which means I could scoot up Thurs or friday afterwards - if the car can make it that far by then... Otherwise it's an attempt on my lonesome, or give it to Xtreme at 40 quid an hour.

richy rich
02-03-2006, 09:23 AM
My problem is getting up to you - no free weekends for several weeks now, and it's going to need doing soon - the car is squeelin' like a stuck pig now! Xtreme are going to have a look for me tomorrow just to make a diagnosis. Then I might try bal to see if he can get the bits I need. Are you blokes available anytime in the week at all?

I'm working next Thursday night, which means I could scoot up Thurs or friday afterwards - if the car can make it that far by then... Otherwise it's an attempt on my lonesome, or give it to Xtreme at 40 quid an hour.
ok bern get a diagnosis from xreme
then we might be aboule to do thurs/fri or do a mobile job.

rich