PDA

View Full Version : Can You hear your turbo?

WildCards
05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Can anyone else hear they're turbo'd spooling down while driving? When I accelerate, then back off I can hear my turbo's spooling down, with no music on obviously, but they are quite loud. Nick noticed this also the other week when we finished the oil service, he said it was odd but nothing to worry about.

Just wondered if anyone else could hear it, because it sounds cool :afro:

Kieran
05-03-2006, 07:58 PM
My turbos wail like banshees from cold - even when not on boost. They do quiet down a bit when the car's warmed up a bit, though you can often hear them winding up. I like it!!

Can't say I've ever heard them spool down.... I would occasionally hear the standard re-circ valve 'hish' if I lifted off suddently, but thats about all.

Axeboy
05-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Not tested my new vr4.. but my last one was reasonably vocal, you could easily hear it.

Funkstar
05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Ye can here mine more now I've turned up the boost. I agree, does sound cool. Wish you could make it go louder, without the engine going bang obviously.

BraindG
05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Yup, with boost on i hear it all the time - thats if i ignore all the rattles.

WildCards
05-03-2006, 08:19 PM
I hear mine mostly when i lift off the gas and can hear the turbo's still spinning, when on the gas the car is very loud inside, prolly due to the exhaust, but I can't hear them that much then nor the re-circ.

Cheers guys

Just wondered really.

thecustomer
05-03-2006, 08:37 PM
they're nothing like as loud as they were on my Maserati - but then the squealing tyres usually drowned out the turbos...

:thinking:

Will

Nick Mann
05-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Wildcards are strange in that you don't hear them whilst on boost - you hear them as they slow back down again, e.g. slowing to a stop on an off ramp.

I don't think it is anything to worry about - there is no smoke at all at the moment.

bradc
06-03-2006, 01:54 AM
I can't hear mine most of the time due the exhausts. The only time I can hear them in cruising in 5th gear between 110-130kmh when I can hear a bit of a whine coming from them. If I lift off the throttle it stops straight away

jaimz
06-03-2006, 05:33 AM
Yep, you can hear mine pretty clearly whether or not on boost. Having an exhaust or not plays a big part I'm sure. I don't. I drove a friend's one who has an exhaust upgrade. Didn't notice the turbo whine, but there was an excellent little chirp when coming off power. Not a BOV (none installed), probably the recirc. Nice though.

mpau009
06-03-2006, 05:41 AM
The only time i have heard the turbos spool down, is when you accelerate, can hear them clearly at .7bar, and then just hold a consistant throttle, no gear change, if i lift off, then all the boost goes, and you hear nothing, but at a fixed throttle, the boost slowly decreases, and i can hear it tail off.

I can also hear the turbos just before the gauge reaches 0.

... Of course if your not sure it might pay to take them out, and replace with bigger ones:thinking: ....:evilgrin: just to be safe of course....:2thumbsup

pezza
06-03-2006, 12:59 PM
I can hear mine spinning up esp when the car is cold in the morning... if there was a way to amplify this sound... sounds like a harrier jet ready for take off! :afro:

For Those of you with unobtrusive exhausts :D can you also hear a lil whistle sound (very short) when you lift off the juice pedal... am not sure if mine is from standard air scoop? (I do have a lil bit of the sponge come loose so it may be this flapping in t he air intake scooop) I also get a sound as if it may be coming from where the squeezy pipe joins the hard pipe which goes to the rear turbo?
:thinking:

WildCards
06-03-2006, 01:16 PM
... Of course if your not sure it might pay to take them out, and replace with bigger ones:thinking: ....:evilgrin: just to be safe of course....:2thumbsup

I need some bigger turbos if i'm going to keepo up with Dodge Vipers

Bal
08-03-2006, 09:38 PM
harrier jump jets ... mmmmm

Kenneth
08-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I can hear my turbos... they speak to me... "Go on, we want you to... make our turbines spin... we love you so much" and "ooh, thats nice oil it makes me all slick"

um, probably time I stopped now /help

ANTHONY
08-03-2006, 10:44 PM
cannot hear mine at all

Kieran
08-03-2006, 11:06 PM
cannot hear mine at all

/duh Get your coat Tony....

BraindG
08-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I can hear my turbos... they speak to me... "Go on, we want you to... make our turbines spin... we love you so much" and "ooh, thats nice oil it makes me all slick"

um, probably time I stopped now /help

:2thumbsup -

I've gone completely out of my mind.. And..
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa

Roberto
10-03-2006, 01:56 AM
I don't think I could live without the noise of the little beasts spooling up.

But have to say the MR2's single was a nicer sound, but not nearly as nice to drive. Especially in the wet. :evilgrin:

Rally205
10-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I can't hear mine either. I was always taught that if you could hear the turbo whistle it was knackered. They only whistle or whine when the blades are out of balance or damaged:embarasse

WildCards
10-03-2006, 02:42 PM
I can't hear mine either. I was always taught that if you could hear the turbo whistle it was knackered. They only whistle or whine when the blades are out of balance or damaged:embarasse

That's not good /help

Kieran
10-03-2006, 04:53 PM

I always thought that too. Would having a high-flow panel filter make a difference?

My inlet pipes are a bit oily too..... /help :inquisiti :toilet:

Ah well... If/when they let go...... Time for something bigger! /Devil5

peter thomson
10-03-2007, 01:18 PM
I noticed a whistle as the turbos spooled up last night on the way home. Is this likly to be a turbo on the way out or a leak. I have not found any loose pipes and it is still showing the same amount of boost on the gauge. I'm pretty sure it just started last night as I think i would have noticed it before. Hope this is not bad news

Nick Mann
10-03-2007, 03:13 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it yet. Carry on listening! Mine wail good and proper, especially when hitting 1.1bar at 3500 revs and they have been doing that for a year. It may be a sign that they are on their way out - it may be nothing.

Wodjno
10-03-2007, 03:24 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it yet. Carry on listening! Mine wail good and proper, especially when hitting 1.1bar at 3500 revs and they have been doing that for a year. It may be a sign that they are on their way out - it may be nothing.

Mine whistle... But they ain't on there way out.. They've been whistling for over 3 years.. The sound has increased with boost and also with the Hard Pipes i installed.. The Hard pipes make it very pronounced /yes

peter thomson
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys that makes me feel a bit better

K9NG
11-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Whistling is fine, it's a police siren type noise which is a sign they are going!
Mine whistle good and proper at 1.7 bar :scholar:

FNFAST VR4
11-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Mine make noise too. The police siren comment is exactly what they sound like! With the stereo at low volumes you can faintly hear the siren noise. My flatmate (evo driver) took my car to work a while back and said he didn't like the whine as he kept thinking there was a cop coming from somewhere!

Myself, I love hearing them spool up and go for gold ha ha ha.

Kenneth
11-03-2007, 09:24 PM
yeah, i had the cop sound too... on my old VR-4. Only happened at part throttle though, when making slight changes.
Those down pipes and 3" exhaust did it... made them spool hard with just slight throttle changes :P

peter thomson
15-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Sorted the whistle from the turbos today though gave me a good scare. 2 weeks ago i replaced the top rad hose with the Greddy one and it was just after that the whistle started. Today I fitted an FPR and had the hardpipe and inlet elbow removed to make this easier as per Bern's post. Everything seemed fine for the first 3 miles as I had not any boost applied but when I was about to overtake it just died as the hose between the hardpipe and elbow blew off. What a scare. When i tried to tighten the clips again it turned out they were seising up when i thought they were tight .Now that they are sorted the whislte has gone as well so I had a leak after all though when driving I was sure it was coming from the rear turbo.
Sorted and definitly feels a lot better again though it smells a bit rich. I think I will try replacing the lambda before its MOT as this seems to be a problem for others going by some posts