PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Adjustable suspension for VR4 Sedan

You See
06-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Needing some...anyone got any (or know of any) for sale?
I'm finding with me 18's that if I have more than 20kgs the backend rubs like a stripper on a pole! (mmmm)
...Any recommendations on what to go for?

Kenneth
06-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I would go for the D2 units.

You See
07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Yeah it looks like the D2's are the way to go....price and performance wise....still the Teins are so tempting! :)

VR4 MAD
07-03-2006, 09:59 AM
UC, just a word of caution. I too was looking for adjustable suspension and the D2's looked really good but I did some asking around to see what those in the know thought about them.

Well I got really mixed (mostly luke warm to bad) reviews. The common thread amongst the responses was that the spring rates are wrong or at least wrong enough to upset the handling with a fragile and jittery feeling to the cars suspension. I was told the very stiff springs are possiblely the reason for a number of premature failures on the damper in the D2s.

Well that's just what I was told and in one case by a place that actually sells D2's (but not to decerning customers - like me!/pan ). The advice given to me was, if you get D2's get a softer spring rate than those normally supplied for the VR4.

Remember though, that everyones tastes are different when it comes to comfort and handling, but the bottom line is that a number of D2's have needed rebuilding after what seemed to be a very short time.......... so ask around and if possible try a vehicle with them fitted.

I'd be interested in what you find out (and do), especially as several of our UK members have them fitted and seem pleased.

BTW I've gone for Teins but until I've fitted them I'll reserve judgement as to how they are :undecided

You See
07-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Great, thanks for the advice VR4 MAD.
I guess in some ways Teins are renowned for their quality, and that's why they're more expensive than D2's....hmm, all food for thought.

VR4 MAD
08-03-2006, 01:28 AM
UC, another thing to note.......D2 are not made by D2, but are just rebadged or assembled by them from components made by others I believe.

Don't know who the 'others' are but could be Tein for all I know, but it's the spring rate thing that seems to be the problem. This may indicate they haven't done much/any actual testing on our type of car to fine tune the suspension and spring rates.

At least Tein (and other suspension manufactures in Japan) actually test their products on the cars first as part of their development. Not sure D2 do this.

Just food for thought.

VR4MAD

Mac.
08-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Daiyama -> fortyone.co.nz

There's a huge thread about it, including pictures and other info in the general "suspension" section.

Like most educated suspension shoppers, I'd not run with D2's. I generally ignore the "I heard that they..." comments and only look at the facts. 1) I have seen one set split it's top mounts and bolts to pieces. 2) They don't make their own components - they just rebrand. This really bogs you down when / if it comes to warranty / rebuilding.

Tein, Daiyama and others make their own coilovers, and can therefore offer full support for them.

The ones we've sold have been very popular in Hondas and Toyotas, and we've sold a couple of sets to Evolution owners. We've never had a complaint, and I've never seen anyone on-sell them quickly.

Lastly, before anyone knocks Taiwanese brands, just ask yourself, where did the CPU in your computer come from? Or your watch.. Where's the tallest building in the world? =D