PDA

View Full Version : a question about a burning type smell

KEENY
06-03-2006, 09:56 PM
hello again chaps.

when ever i boot my galant i get a kind of burning type smell. my first thought is that it might be the cat converter but i want to be sure (who wouldnt)

does anyone else have this smell when they boot there motor?

before you ask if the smell is an egg kind of smell it is and it isnt. its like a burning type egg smell.

its not full on egg smell tho its like something diffrent. almost like the egg and burning smell has created a new kind of smell.

ssoooooo anyone have this smell?? lol:inquisiti :inquisiti

Paul Beazer
06-03-2006, 10:03 PM
almost like the egg and burning smell has created a new kind of smell.

So it doesnt smell like eggs or burning then? Roses perhaps? /pan

Sorry, couldnt resist, flame away!

Funkstar
06-03-2006, 10:57 PM
ssoooooo anyone have this smell?? lol:inquisiti :inquisiti

Only after a good night out followed by a curry.

I cant think about any other part of a car that gives out a egg smell other than the cat. Even if it only smells partially eggy I cant think what else it could be.

KEENY
06-03-2006, 11:09 PM
does anyone else's galant have any kind of smell when booted? espcially auto's when kick down is engaged.

Paul Beazer
06-03-2006, 11:16 PM
This could be a red herring, but have you checked your oxygen sensor to make sure it isnt loose? If it is perhaps you're getting some exhaust fume seepage into the car?

richy rich
06-03-2006, 11:20 PM
is it burning atf

cheack your atf

1 level (warm engine, level ground, go through the gears a few times, then in to N)
2 colour (should be a nice redish colour)
3 smell after a hard drive(is it the same smell your asking about)

Funkstar
06-03-2006, 11:31 PM
is it burning atf

cheack your atf

1 level (warm engine, level ground, go through the gears a few times, then in to N)
2 colour (should be a nice redish colour)
3 smell after a hard drive(is it the same smell your asking about)

I did think the same, but my car at the moment is leaking atf slowly, which is running onto the exhaust and burning off /Grrr . Not even a hint of eggy smell though, just a smell of burning oil or kinda like the brakes are burning.

WildCards
06-03-2006, 11:37 PM
You say it only happens when you accelerate:

Have you checked your thundercrackers?

Funkstar
06-03-2006, 11:51 PM
You say it only happens when you accelerate:

Have you checked your thundercrackers?

I've just laughed my last mouthfull of a lovely bottle of Merlot through my nose. Cheers Wildcards.

WildCards
07-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I've just laughed my last mouthfull of a lovely bottle of Merlot through my nose. Cheers Wildcards.

:evilgrin:

richy rich
07-03-2006, 10:38 PM
/haz

Paul Beazer
07-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Did it have a good 'nose'?

Ok ok, im going

Kieran
07-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Did it have a good 'nose'?

Ok ok, im going

Your bad jokes are making me wine................. /duh

MikeKey
08-03-2006, 03:02 PM
KEENY,

I know the burning smell you're talking about, it's definitely not eggy! Not sure whether I only smell it when I put my foot down though, I'll give it a go tonight and let you know...

Mike

KEENY
09-03-2006, 11:00 PM
thanks mike dont blow your engine tho. lol

MikeKey
10-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Typical that is, I've been out twice now and can't get the smell to come back!

Neither journey was very far though so I'll wait and see if it comes back during my Sunday afternoon blast when it should get properly warmed up...

Mike

richy rich
10-03-2006, 09:43 AM
I did think the same, but my car at the moment is leaking atf slowly, which is running onto the exhaust and burning off /Grrr . Not even a hint of eggy smell though, just a smell of burning oil or kinda like the brakes are burning.
i think it is this and you are calling it an eggy / burning smell wrongly

if its not a leak it might be the atf burning in the box

check your atf refer to my post (number 6)

KEENY
11-03-2006, 06:35 PM
ok great but err whats an atf??

richy rich
11-03-2006, 06:36 PM
auto trans fluid

KEENY
13-03-2006, 06:10 PM
ok i checked the atf and its not red its some what darker. i have looked for leaks just in case and have found none.

Kieran
13-03-2006, 06:21 PM
ok i checked the atf and its not red its some what darker.....

Umm, that's not good! ATF goes that colour when it's overheated - might explain the weird toasted burning smell you've been experiencing too? When was the ATF changed?

richy rich
13-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Umm, that's not good! ATF goes that colour when it's overheated - might explain the weird toasted burning smell you've been experiencing too? When was the ATF changed?
i second this

get aft changed