PDA

View Full Version : Fao bradc....

Funkstar
06-03-2006, 10:10 PM
... and anyone else that can /help .

Have recently acquired a small dvd player for free from a friend who had no need for it. It's not a car transportable player (just for home use) but small enough that I could fit it into the glovebox and run it through the MMCS> It's now starting to get to me that I have this feature in my car but cant do jack with it.

Have been looking through the posts on dvd players where there are some great posts from bradc, but no clear instructions on what should be done.

What I would like to know is:

1. What connectors would I need to connect it to the Tv Tuner on the MMCS. At a guess I'd say it doesn't have a scart connection :inquisiti .
2. Would I need to alter the frequency of which it plays (Pal-NTSC)
3. Would i need a power converter to enable it to work (I'm thinking I probably would)
4. Is it really worth the hassle.:speechles

If the answers are positive, I may give it a go this weekend and do a rundown for the articles section.

If the answers are bad, I may stick it in the shed with the remains of many other unfinished projects, and then go onto do something worthwhile. :5shots:

i3ooyah
06-03-2006, 11:00 PM
well i can answer 3 & 4 for you

yes it will need a dc to ac power converter and No it wont be worth it, the only way you'll be able to watch it is if you sit still otherwise it'll be jumping every 2secs because home dvd players dont have anti shock as there not built to be in vibrated areas

Funkstar
06-03-2006, 11:25 PM

yes it will need a dc to ac power converter and No it wont be worth it, the only way you'll be able to watch it is if you sit still otherwise it'll be jumping every 2secs because home dvd players dont have anti shock as there not built to be in vibrated areas

Ah shucks. Fallen at the first hurdle me thinks.

Cheers Booyah, that didn't even cross my mind. /pan

May still consider the in car dvd player just so I can get some use out of the screen, other than just the fancy AirCon controller it is at the moment.

bradc
07-03-2006, 07:03 AM
1. I'm not sure what the name of the connection is, but the little audio connectors that you use for your computer speakers fit straight into the dvd player. The connections on the dvd player are marked v-in and s-in obviously for video and sound in. You may need to get RCA to these mini connectors adapter cables. I was running mine in the boot just because it is easiest to run the cables that way.

2. Mine is NTSC and PAL compatible, so I didn't have to worry about this. I don't know anything else about it sorry.

3. I assume it is designed for 230v? just get an inverter from a ciggie lighter to 230v and plug it into that.

4. booyah might be right, the home theatre style might not work at all.

Funkstar
07-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Cheers brad. Gonna have to consider the in-car version (NTSC and PAL compatible) before I look into it any further really. From looking, they can be picked up pretty cheap these days.

Will definatley look at fitting it up as you have on yours.

Springie
08-03-2006, 11:02 AM

I got a home dvd mounted to the underneath of the passenger seat and do hamilton to whangarei drives and have no skipping problems at all.

Funkstar
08-03-2006, 11:33 AM
I got a home dvd mounted to the underneath of the passenger seat and do hamilton to whangarei drives and have no skipping problems at all.

Starting to sound a little more appealing. Has anybody else out there tried this.

Probably makes a difference what types of roads your driving on, the one's in the UK can be pretty crappy. :veryangry

i3ooyah
09-03-2006, 01:20 AM
hamilton to whangarei is a a fair few hours drive to, for our uk members

Springie
09-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Starting to sound a little more appealing. Has anybody else out there tried this.

Probably makes a difference what types of roads your driving on, the one's in the UK can be pretty crappy. :veryangry

It's between 3 - 3.5 hours usually although one time it took 6 hours /pan
However it is a direct route over NZ's illustrious highways, 4 or 2 lanes mainly and road works, pot holes etc. /lol

I think as long as you mount it the right way, and aren't driving on very extremely roads you should be right.

Funkstar
09-03-2006, 12:32 PM
It's between 3 - 3.5 hours usually although one time it took 6 hours /pan
However it is a direct route over NZ's illustrious highways, 4 or 2 lanes mainly and road works, pot holes etc. /lol

I think as long as you mount it the right way, and aren't driving on very extremely roads you should be right.

Cheers Springie. Right, gonna give it a go. Got nothing to lose. If it doesn't work then I'll at least have all the wiring fitted for the possible in car dvd player.

Thanks for the advice guys :2thumbsup

bradc
09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
one thing you need to realise is that the mmcs unit will turn off once the satnav thinks you are moving. I am going to see if my aftermarket ecu sorts this problem out, I am thinking I might mount the stock ecu in the car and give it power, and hook it's speed sensor up to the mmcs :D

Otherwise you will need to buy one of these http://www.carpy.jp/joy/tv-select/ http://www.axios.co.jp/gyomu/tv/list.html I beleive the correct one for our cars is ATV-37

Funkstar
09-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Otherwise you will need to buy one of these http://www.carpy.jp/joy/tv-select/ http://www.axios.co.jp/gyomu/tv/list.html I beleive the correct one for our cars is ATV-37

Not cheap are they. Possibly £90+ with delivery.

Is there no snipping of wires than can be done. If its the satnav that detects you are moving then couldn't you just disable the satnav, as its of no real use anyway.

Or am I talking poo again.

bradc
09-03-2006, 10:23 PM
I haven't figured out a way to disable the sat nav, I wish I could though.

Kieran
10-03-2006, 12:04 AM
I haven't figured out a way to disable the sat nav, I wish I could though.

Yank the GPS antenna cable out of the back of the headunit?

bradc
10-03-2006, 12:18 AM
headunit in the dash or silver box in the boot that has the single cd slot in it?

Kieran
10-03-2006, 12:49 AM
The one in the dash..... Oh hang on, I've just checked this one I've got here and it's not as simple as that....

:5shots: Okay..... I can't think straight enough to describe it properly... I'll try again tomorrow evening....

bradc
10-03-2006, 01:53 AM
hehe ok. As I think you know, I'm outputting my computer into the MMCS screen to get the virtual dashboard up on it, and obviously I need it to work correctly.