PDA

View Full Version : seamless transmission ??

SGHOM
07-03-2006, 09:26 PM
It can be done !! try it.. :happy: :happy:

from a standing start.. in tip, firm throttle [ around 50% ] & shift up quickly through the gears, keeping the enginge revs around 2500/3000 rpm.

with a bit of practice, you can go through the gears with no discernable change in engine note, & no feeling of shifting gears !!

It does work... Wouter thought it was as cool as a cool thing !! :scholar: :2thumbsup

richy rich
07-03-2006, 10:53 PM
yes d but you and wouter have no sences/felling

bradc
07-03-2006, 10:56 PM
I used to be able to do that before I had the exhaust work done, now the exhausts are simply too loud to be able to do that correctly. Very cool though.

Kieran
07-03-2006, 11:37 PM
There is another, more permanent way - fit a secondary transmission cooler and replace the ATF with Amsoil! ;)

SGHOM
07-03-2006, 11:40 PM
There is another, more permanent way - fit a secondary transmission cooler and replace the ATF with Amsoil! ;)

got both !! thankyou kindly !! :scholar: :smoking:

Paul Beazer
Ok how about a challenge for the more enlightened amongst us (i.e. manual gearboxes)

TBH im not sure it is adviseable or possible, but most manuals i've driven can do it.

Try driving off using the clutchin first only, going up through the gears WITHOUT using the clutch. Usually if you do it at the right speed and revs it should just pop out of gears and into the next gear. I used to do this in my old bosses rover. Get it wrong and its either stuck in neutral or griiinnd!

NB I take no responsibility if it shafts your gearbox!!

Kieran
got both !! thankyou kindly !! :scholar: :smoking:

Ah! You're fully Amsoiled up then? Cool!

SGHOM
07-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Ah! You're fully Amsoiled up then? Cool!

well........ nearly !! :5shots:
aldi 20/50 £4.99. :inquisiti /help

Kieran
07-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Ok how about a challenge for the more enlightened amongst us....

So 'enlightened' that you have a prehistoric spacca-box and further decide to handicap your changes by trying not to use the clutch?! /Hmmm

/STP /Devil5

richy rich
07-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Ok how about a challenge for the more enlightened amongst us (i.e. manual gearboxes)

TBH im not sure it is adviseable or possible, but most manuals i've driven can do it.

Try driving off using the clutchin first only, going up through the gears WITHOUT using the clutch. Usually if you do it at the right speed and revs it should just pop out of gears and into the next gear. I used to do this in my old bosses rover. Get it wrong and its either stuck in neutral or griiinnd!

NB I take no responsibility if it shafts your gearbox!!
i can do this in all manuals I've driven trucks, vans, cars

wouter didn't believe me until i showed him how it was done in the tranny.

Wodjno
08-03-2006, 12:28 AM
i can do this in all manuals I've driven trucks, vans, cars

wouter didn't believe me until i showed him how it was done in the tranny.

It's a Doddle.. Although 2nd to 1st is never easy..

If IRC the technical term is called Crashing the Box.:inquisiti /help Been done in racing since the year Dot. :happy:

amsoil
08-03-2006, 12:47 AM
If IRC the technical term is called Crashing the Box. Been done in racing since the year Dot. :happy:

In racing this is done to shorten the time off the gas but only with a 'dog box' ie no syncros just engagements (dogs) that stick out of the side of the gears like an old (new?) motorbike gearbox. Lorrys also have crash boxes and the least wear is achieved if the change is quick, positive and a careful foot aids the change.
Unfortunately the syncro box is very different. There are not just 2 bits to match and engage (ie the 2 gears with the engagement dogs) but 3 ie the 2 gears and the syncro cone which must grip one cogs ramp to allow a locking collar to move across it. Yes it can be done but you will eternally regret it if you bend a selector or damage a syncro cone as there is only recourse to a rebuild and replacement to solve the problem. The syncro box components are generally not too strong and must have assistance of..... the clutch to unload them and allow an easy change.

You have been warned! as they say:scholar:

Wodjno
08-03-2006, 12:51 AM
So it's the Synchros that make it difficult to change down.. :inquisiti Especially 2nd to 1st.. :thinking: Which unless you are virtually stopped is Virtually impossible.. /help It's all down to getting the Revs right.. :2thumbsup

But as as stated above.. Be Warned :uhoh:

SGHOM
08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
As I'm old......... very old !! /help I'm used to driving 'crash 'boxes. [ or was ]

for example, changing down a gear.... dip the clutch & knock it into neutral, release the clutch & quickly build up the revs to the level required for the lower gear. ie; 3000rpm.. even though the lower gear will require only 2000 rpm ! [ still with me ?? ]
dip the clutch again & select lower gear, & the revs must match exactly when you release the clutch again, or else you 'crash' the box. /Grrr

takes a bit of mastering, & couldn't drive my milk float unless I passed my 'crash' test !!

YES !!!!!!! I AM THAT OLD !! /Grrr /help

and FYI, It's called double-de-clutching. :book:

richy rich
08-03-2006, 05:48 PM
i still double the clutch some times without thinking about it.

again wouter asked me do you always double the clutch and i didn't reallies i had.

Wodjno
08-03-2006, 05:51 PM
As I'm old......... very old !! /help I'm used to driving 'crash 'boxes. [ or was ]

for example, changing down a gear.... dip the clutch & knock it into neutral, release the clutch & quickly build up the revs to the level required for the lower gear. ie; 3000rpm.. even though the lower gear will require only 2000 rpm ! [ still with me ?? ]
dip the clutch again & select lower gear, & the revs must match exactly when you release the clutch again, or else you 'crash' the box. /Grrr

takes a bit of mastering, & couldn't drive my milk float unless I passed my 'crash' test !!

YES !!!!!!! I AM THAT OLD !! /Grrr /help

and FYI, It's called double-de-clutching. :book:

Double Declutching and Crashing the Box are totally different Derek .. You do no use the Clutch when you are crashing the Box.. /pan

amsoil
08-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Double Declutching and Crashing the Box are totally different Derek .. You do no use the Clutch when you are crashing the Box.. /pan

Yes they are different but you need a crash box to double declutch. The Police used to teach double declutching for lorrys and cars until they discovered that double declutching a syncro box wears it out quicker (it is also totally unnecessary.)

With a hewland (racing crash box) you 'snick' the changes without the clutch on the way up, if you are really good, thus saving that all important fraction of a second off the gas; and double declutch with a rev of the internals half way through on the way down. This gives the vroom noise whilst changing down. :2thumbsup

Rally205
14-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Yes they are different but you need a crash box to double declutch. The Police used to teach double declutching for lorrys and cars until they discovered that double declutching a syncro box wears it out quicker (it is also totally unnecessary.)

With a hewland (racing crash box) you 'snick' the changes without the clutch on the way up, if you are really good, thus saving that all important fraction of a second off the gas; and double declutch with a rev of the internals half way through on the way down. This gives the vroom noise whilst changing down. :2thumbsup

Using a technique called heel and toe:scholar:

amsoil
14-03-2006, 02:36 PM
The very one !

WildCards
14-03-2006, 02:49 PM
buggered if I can heel and toe, spose i've never had a car that you'd want to do it in, but can never get my foot the right way.

Rally205
15-03-2006, 11:53 AM
What you need is an engine with a such a lumpy cam that it won't idle properly and then go out driving in heavy traffic. You soon learn to brake and blip the throttle at the same time:pimp2: