PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod

pezza
08-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Does anyone know of any alternative manufacturers for tie rods/steering arms for 8G galants? (before I say yes to mitsu parts)

Is there a blue print one for example?

I have the part number for the mistu one MR403872 and seen one place in US does replacements for 15dollars!!! the mitsu one is about 60 GBP I believe...

Cheers for any info...

Polabear
08-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know of any alternative manufacturers for tie rods/steering arms for 8G galants? (before I say yes to mitsu parts)

Is there a blue print one for example?

I have the part number for the mistu one MR403872 and seen one place in US does replacements for 15dollars!!! the mitsu one is about 60 GBP I believe...

Cheers for any info...

Are you talking about Rack ends Derek...? If not take no notice of my inane ramblings...:inquisiti

pezza
08-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Are you talking about Rack ends Derek...? If not take no notice of my inane ramblings...:inquisiti

Its the actual tie rods themselves the steerin arms...

Camskill (yet again) phoned around and ADL blueprint do one, and there is also another manufacturer they found who do them for 40 each... they are very helpful friendly folk up there!

I do need to decide soon tho and then get my car to the MOT station, a different one this time tho /Grrr

richy rich
08-03-2006, 06:56 PM
yes pezza

ive got blue print on mine i think

you are talking track rod ends arn't you

pezza
08-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Not the end pieces... the actual arms/rods

I think Blue print do one for the galant too...

Kieran
08-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Not the end pieces... the actual arms/rods

I think Blue print do one for the galant too...

Ah, so you've been got by the dreaded rack rod inner bearings wearing out then eh? HJM and Physician have posted about them too... HJM was told by one garage that the entire steering rack needed replacing!!)

From the ever-helpful 'Robin Blind' at your local mitsubishi parts Desk, they're about £50. Physician has created a post in the Library that shows the part numbers.

Camskill do supply the tie rods for the FTO - they appear to be identical to the VR-4 ones.

pezza
09-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Cheers for that Kieran,

Hmm I understand that most VR4s have a tiny bit of play in this area but I guess testers unfamiliar with these cars (99.9%) may not give you the benefit of the doubt..

Camskill managed to cross reference MR403872 to a couple of manufacturers ..

I will pick up one from another manufacturer costing about 30GBP, tonight and will get back with info part numbers for anyone wanting a mitsu OE alternative.

Cheers

pezza
10-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Those luverlee people at camskill again have ordered and sent me a new tie rod within 2 days of enquiring.

Very helpful (I know I have said it before), they ordered in a the part to get stock regardless of whether I would buy or not.. Rang up 3pm and with 6 quid next day delivery for 9.30. top service..

Well lets hope the part fits but its made by solid ace part number M331036 and costs 36 quid... Another part number to add to library as alternative to mitsu MR403872

Lets hope it fits :-)

Back to MOT station this weekend..

I should have another tie rod from a diff manufacturer later today... Will get back with that number after lunch...

Spirit
10-03-2006, 12:58 PM
List of blueprint parts I posted is HERE (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7583&highlight=blueprint)

Polabear
10-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Cheers for that Kieran,

Hmm I understand that most VR4s have a tiny bit of play in this area but I guess testers unfamiliar with these cars (99.9%) may not give you the benefit of the doubt..

Camskill managed to cross reference MR403872 to a couple of manufacturers ..

I will pick up one from another manufacturer costing about 30GBP, tonight and will get back with info part numbers for anyone wanting a mitsu OE alternative.

Cheers

As I thought Derek, I was talking about the correct parts, my V6-24 failed on them this year, my O/S was SHA%%ED out totally and yet I never felt anything at all in the steering, got em from blueprint at £30:72 + vat each, a helluva saving....:2thumbsup

pezza
10-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Good Stuff Pola,

bugger about the failure tho, did the station give you a free retest?

I cudnt get my hands on the blue print one...

I now have the other side from Nipparts part number J4845017 at a whopping
26.71 :D ... so

Mitsu OE MR403872 63.00
solid ace M331036 36.00
Nipparts J4845017 27.00
Blueprint 36.10

Polabear
13-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Good Stuff Pola,

bugger about the failure tho, did the station give you a free retest?

Yup they certainly did.....but then they are mates of mine....:2thumbsup

colVR4
07-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Pezza, sorry to dig up this old thread, but can you remember the symptoms of your track/tie rod problems?

Dexxx
02-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Heelp! My Galant VR (2nd hand) kinda veers to the right (Left hand drive this is mind u). Everyone I asked (in the office) told me it check the wheel alignment. I went to one garage and will do it for 900 pesos (1US$ =P45). I made a 2nd opinion and their alignment is cheaper 600 pesos (they're using a Supertracker). So I went there again but when it's time to align...they dropped a bomb! The TIE ROD END needs to be replaced!!! I've asked for an estimate and it all comes down to P21,000 (do the math) from 600 to 21,000! The list includes:
Tie Rod End P1,650 x 2 = 3,300
Rack End P1,785 x 2 = 3,570
Suspension Arm Assembly CU P 4,950 x 2 = 9,900
Suspension Arm Assembly ST P 4,950 x 2 = 9,900
Shop Supplies P30
Complete Align =P1,200

I'm pretty steamed! because they told me @ first the alignment only costs 600 but in their price list it became double! i'm still new to the car biz so pls help me out any1? Is it true the my car veering to the right (w/c is not really noticeable) is the cause of a busted Tie Rod? Are these price reasonable???
I didn't trust those guys bec. they made changes at the last minute. If the TIE ROD is the problem then why the heck the Suspension needs replacing?? I wish some of you guys are out here in the Philippines so that I can really get some good and reliable advise.

I also asked for my Coolant problems and they're the one's who told me it's bec. of the BYPASS Hose?? Is that also true?? Mechanics here really suck! Anybody out there got a manual??

Kieran
02-11-2007, 09:20 AM
How much?! That's not right!:inquisiti

A set of tie rods should be pretty cheap. VR-4 tie rods are about £30 (About $60 at current exchange rates).

Also - The suspension arms. Which arms do they want to replace? The reason I ask is that there's a world wide recall on the lower front suspension arms. They may have seen that the arms are worn, but you may be able to get them replaced for free.

Dexxx
02-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Really??? You had urs replaced for free?? When was that recall?? who do I need to call? Dang! I ain't sure about that here in the R.P. (Republic of the Philippines), there's too much nonsense here. But I'll ask Mitsu though. TNX Man, but still there are a lot of questions left unanswered. Like my Tie Rod and Coolant. I need my baby fixed but with the right people. Any1 knew some1 out here in the R.P. who can do the job and w/ reasonable price?? Europe's a loong way from here people. But I wish was there though I can see lotsa people are drawn to this car and has the know how to fix it.

gee118
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Does anyone have an inner tie rod??
I went and bought one off ebay (to replace MR519046 apparently) because I was told it'd fit my car, but re-looking at the picture and the one from camskill they look kinda different.
Also, is a new tabbed washer required for the replacement?
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1402p48591

Nick Mann
01-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I had to re-use my tabbed washer. The rack end from the V6 fitted on my car. £30 ish sounds right for a non-mitsy part.

I may have the old one kicking around but I'm not sure - do you want me to look around tomorrow?

gee118
02-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Cheers Nick, Not to worry, I ordered the inner rod, rack end AND the washer off camskill. Might as well do everything right the first time....:)
Can anyone confirm that it's a 34mm spanner to undo this thing?

peter thomson
02-07-2009, 08:29 AM
It's a 32mm spanner

gee118
02-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks Peter, don't suppose you have some photos??
Looks like I'm goning to have to change it myself. I just have to measure the entire inner and outer and make sure it's the same length reinstalled ya? Any other potential pitfalls?

peter thomson
02-07-2009, 11:02 AM
As Carsten mentioned in another thread there is very little room to work in and the tab washer is awkward to relock. Apart from that it is faily straight forward

Davezj
02-07-2009, 01:38 PM
you might find the easiest way to lock the washer over is with a slide hammer, get the hook end over the washer an give it a wack.

peter thomson
02-07-2009, 02:01 PM
you might find the easiest way to lock the washer over is with a slide hammer, get the hook end over the washer an give it a wack.

That a good idea Dave.

steve190
04-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks Peter, don't suppose you have some photos??
Looks like I'm goning to have to change it myself. I just have to measure the entire inner and outer and make sure it's the same length reinstalled ya? Any other potential pitfalls?

You'll need to get your tracking redone otherwise the handling will be horrible not to mention tyre wear. Just had mine done as I've replaced both tie rod ball joints.