PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack

V6nut
08-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Just had my sport serviced and have been told my steering rack is dodgy on the passenger side. The guy described exactly what I have been experiencing with the car and he is a friend of the family so I trust him. What I need to know is whether I can get a steering rack end or do I have to replace the whole lot?
Any ideas?

richy rich
08-03-2006, 09:55 PM
tell us more

Kieran
08-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah, give Camskill a call. Blueprint do track rod ends, and the track rod too - so you can get replacements for whichever bit has gone.:2thumbsup

V6nut
08-03-2006, 09:57 PM
The guy said does the car wander across the road with any undulations in the surface, which it does, thought this was nothing major as my old peugeot used to skit all over the road! He said the steering rack end was worn and he could shake the wheel due to this. He said he would find out whether he could get an end or have the spensive job of replacing the whole rack.
Thought you guys could tell me quicker than he could.

richy rich
08-03-2006, 10:05 PM
if he reckons the rod end is gone then that can be replaced no prob
blueprint do one.

id suggest change the track rod ends as this is a very easy job and if this doesn't do the job go further

without seeing it or feeling it is quite hard to say exactly

V6nut
08-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Muchos gracias amigos, had a small heart attack when I saw the price of a whole steering rack! Hopefully I can go with the cheaper alternative.

Paul Beazer
08-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Interesting, V6NUT, mine wanders a bit with undulations in the road, but only since i got some new treads in dec.
Out of interest HOW much is a replacement rack?

Polabear
10-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Just had my sport serviced and have been told my steering rack is dodgy on the passenger side. The guy described exactly what I have been experiencing with the car and he is a friend of the family so I trust him. What I need to know is whether I can get a steering rack end or do I have to replace the whole lot?
Any ideas?

More than likely Rack ends that are gone mate, common on these and only £30 + vat each from blueprint.... better than a shedful for a new power rack...:2thumbsup

Physician
11-03-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9917

Scottie
06-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Old thread i know but what are the chances of the rack being stuffed rather than just the ends. I have been told my rack is buggered and about $800AUD to fix.
My diagnosis is the same and the car feels like you are driving on tram tracks. Also, the inner front tyres are shot (suspecting excessive toe).
Did the replacement of rack ends solve the problem?