PDA

View Full Version : Uprated Fuel Pump

Wodjno
10-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Those of you who have fitted uprated fuel pumps, have they been a direct replacement unit or has there had to be any modifications made at all. :thinking:

Also if it was a direct replacement where was it from and what price.. :happy:

Cheers

WODJ

bradc
10-03-2006, 01:52 AM
BDA did an article on installing a walbro fuel pump, those ones will support up to 500hp without any problems and they are literally a drop in

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4582

Wodjno
10-03-2006, 01:56 AM
Cheers Brad :2thumbsup

bernmc
10-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Just remember that you'll need to upgrade your fuel regulator too - I think valmes discussed this somewhere. Quick search...

bradc
10-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Uc doesn't have an upgraded fpr at all and his car is going along fine, he has a walbro in his car.

Funkstar
10-03-2006, 09:41 AM
What boost can be set safely with one these.

bradc
10-03-2006, 09:51 AM
There is no such thing as a boost limit that can be set with fuel pumps. They can support up to 500hp, and I doubt anyone's car is going to be close to that ;)

Funkstar
10-03-2006, 09:58 AM
No, sorry brad. What I meant was can the boost be set higher before the dreaded fuel cut or does this not affect that.

Wodjno
10-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Larger Fuel Pump and FPR wil not allow you to raise the Boost with no fuel Cut.. You need a FCD for that but then you also need the above2 things and a Wideband 02 Sensor to monitor your AFR's to make sure your not leaning out your Mixture. Then you may also need AFC or other bit of Kit ie. E-manage to alter your fuel settings. :happy:

Thanks for replys, i have brought a FPR(nice and shiny:happy: )

Have done a bit more looking into it and there are specfic VR4 pumps and also universal 1's that need a slight alteration before fitting.. Now to decide which 1 .. :inquisiti

bradc
10-03-2006, 10:15 AM
nope, the fuel cut has to do with the volume of air entering the engine, and how it compares with the existing maps that the ecu can understand.

WildCards
10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Boffins :scholar: /Handbag /pan

Nick Mann
10-03-2006, 10:24 AM
nope, the fuel cut has to do with the volume of air entering the engine, and how it compares with the existing maps that the ecu can understand.

Yep. This fuel cut thing is misunderstood because of its name I think. The ecu cuts the fuel. It's not that the car is not able to get the fuel in, just that the ecu thinks its not able. The ecu sees a large amount of air arriving, panics about whether it can suply enough fuel, so decides instead to chop supply.

Thus fuel cut is brought on by air flow.

You can get rid of it, but only by fooling the ecu into thinking there is less air arriving than there actually is. At that point you are running unprotected, so as WODJ says, start monitoring your AFR.

bernmc
10-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Uc doesn't have an upgraded fpr at all and his car is going along fine, he has a walbro in his car.

Read this. (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8093)

bradc
10-03-2006, 11:20 AM
thanks for the link Bern, I wonder how much more power and response one woudl get when pushing the bounds of the system. I'm getting one on my car, so I'm well covered :)

Wodjno
10-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Will this 1 be Ok..

JDM FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR FOR ALL MOTORS..

Including.. cupra all mk's,ibzia,toledo,skoda,octavia...vrs..all models!etc

And all AUDI,FORD,SEAT,ROVER,MAZDA,MITSUBUISHI,HONDA....

THE FITTING KIT SUPPLIED HAS BRACKETS AND CLIPS TO COPE WITH ALL MODELS FUEL RAILS!

SIMPLE PLUG AND PLAY FIT...

I WILL CHUCK IN RACE SILICONE HOSING, SO YOU HAVE NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER

EXPECT SMOOTHER POWER CURVE,YOU WILL GAIN DECENT BHP TOO, YOUR MILEAGE PER GALLON WILL GO DOWN WHEN DRIVING 'NORMALLY' AS THE PRESSURE DICTATES A BETTER COMBUSTION RATE!..IF PAIRED WITH THE WALBRO FUEL PUMP[255 LPH] OR ANY UPRATED FUEL PUMP, EXPECT MASSIVE POWER GAINS!

BRAND NEW BILLET FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

Universal fit

Universal Adjustable compact sized adjustable fuel pressure regulator for high performance vehicles. Constructed of 6061 T-6 billet aluminum and is capable of supplying enough fuel for engines in excess of 1000 horsepower. Features threaded ports, which allows you to tailor the regulator output to any fuel pump, whether it be the stock unit or a high-flow aftermarket pump.

this will seriosly increase performance throughout all engine ranges,from standard to cipped to highly modified....you just set it to application and away you go....simple plug and play kit!...

Stainless steel spring custom designed for precise fuel control

CNC-machined aluminum seat, ports and housing

Why is the fuel pressure regulator necessary to any vehicle?

The Billet Aluminum Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator provides you with the ability to adjust fuel pressure for maximum efficiency and horsepower gains. Factory regulators are not adjustable and wear out over time due to weakening internal spring tension which reduces power and mileage. Stock vehicles with high mileage can restore lost power by simply replacing the regulator and performance built motors benefit from the ability to precisely meter fuel delivery. The Regulator is a direct replacement and features. adjuster to prevent stripping unlike other designs. Precision machined out of billet aluminumz

caishanvr4
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
So Wodj

Which one you going for and how much?
Have you fitted the new toy yet :d

Wodjno
10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Which Fuel Pump ?

Not sure yet, still deciding.. :inquisiti

Not fitted New Toy Yet .. SHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh :baby:

caishanvr4
10-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Good ole pezza had some news about a ufp but i cant remember the make/Hmmm

Wodjno
10-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Tre' ??:thinking:

bradc
10-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Wodjno, HKS make a very good rising rate fpr, and Sard make a good one too.

Wodjno
11-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Cheers Brad.. I brought the above FPR.. Just the decision on the Pump now :huh:

Funkstar
11-03-2006, 12:16 AM

Yep. This fuel cut thing is misunderstood because of its name I think. The ecu cuts the fuel. It's not that the car is not able to get the fuel in, just that the ecu thinks its not able. The ecu sees a large amount of air arriving, panics about whether it can suply enough fuel, so decides instead to chop supply.

Thus fuel cut is brought on by air flow.

You can get rid of it, but only by fooling the ecu into thinking there is less air arriving than there actually is. At that point you are running unprotected, so as WODJ says, start monitoring your AFR.

Cheers guys. Have been thinking of investing in one of these recently just so I could turn up the boost that little bit more. How wrong was I /pan .

I'm getting there slowly guys :iloveyou: , honestly......... /help

bradc
11-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Funkstar, what is particularly confusing to a lot of people is that it isn't at a certain boost value, some people have it at 10psi, and others at 15psi. If you imagine there is a whole heap of preloaded maps into the ecu of throttle position vs airflow vs engine speed, etc.

If you up the boost then there will obviously be more airflow through the engine, and if there is more airflow than what the ecu is mapped for then the ecu cuts fuel because it doesn't know wtf is going on.

Boost cut tends to happen at lower engine speeds on our cars because we can raise the boost by 30-50% at low speeds, because the turbos are so small. At higher speeds we might only be able to up the boost from 8psi to 12psi, and the ecu can handle this and cope with it.

The real solution in my opinion isn't a simple manual boost controller because these tend to give you too much boost at low engine speeds in our cars and without real control at the high end. Something like the AVC-R is a great controller because you can control the boost at each engine speed and even in each gear so you can virtually eliminate fuel cut and make as much boost as you can at the high end of the rev range.

Funkstar
11-03-2006, 01:01 AM
It is starting to make sense to me. Never really had a car to properly mod before, especially with all the insight that you guys give, so it is all a learnng curve to me.

I can see what you all mean. I now understand there are only certain lengths you can go to with fiddling with boost, cold air feeds and cheap mods before you have to fool the cars "brain" into thinking everything is ok. Thankfully I know the cars boundaries at the mo and know not to push it further than it should.

Like I said, I'm getting there slowly. :thumbsup: Cheers chaps.

EDIT/ Nice thread by the way WODJ, sorry for the /Hijack

Wodjno
12-03-2006, 03:41 PM
EDIT/ Nice thread by the way WODJ, sorry for the /Hijack

No Problem.. :2thumbsup You just asked the questions that i was to scared to ask as i didn't want to look STUPID. /dunce /help

But obviously you don't mind looking STUPID.. /Hmmm :jester: /GJ

OSiRiS
24-03-2006, 12:51 PM
If you didn't know already, make sure you get the right fuel pump. Walbro makes intake replacement fuel pumps which slot straight in. Make sure you get the right one.

The right one you need is a GSS342.
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7206/walbrogss3423fs.jpg

Can be easily confused with a GSS341.
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/6572/walbrogss3415rm.jpg

Please be aware!

Funkstar
24-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Easily confused, Pah!!! Maybe to the untrained eye. /dunce :o

OSiRiS
24-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Have a look at the bottom of the fuel pump in relation to the top. Very minor changes however selecting the wrong pump will not allow the fuel filter to go on while using the standard fuel pump cradle.