PDA

View Full Version : My Cold Air Box

mpau009
11-03-2006, 01:33 AM
As you can see, my new cold air box is made from a cutting edge cardboard / tape composite, it is super lightweight, and is coated to resemble a humble cardboard biscuit box./pan

Finally got around to making a start on a cold airbox today, and i would love some discussion or advice from you lot.

As the pic shows, the basic design iv come up with, is a closed in box (lid to come) This was because with the bracing on the bonnet, getting a good seal would be a bit tough.

The box would sit hard against the fusebox once i reroute the battery wire, and would mount on the battery box bolt holes.

I got some cheap aluminium flex tube off trademe, about 12meters, with a three inch inside diameter, so the plan would be to run some up to the front wall, up from behind the foglamp vent.

Second would be to do the same as You See, and cut a hole through the floor, around 4/5 inches.

Third, There is the possibility for a hole behind the light, if i wanted to take it out.

Fourth, if the airflow is inadequate from that, i was considering cutting a hole at the rear of the box, with a tube down and out the back of the engine bay, to allow the air to flow in and out easier.

Theres also the possibility that i could run a tube from the grille, to the side of the box, if it will fit in front of the radiator, but i'm not sure at the moment.

I would get a piece of solid pipe bent up to fit from the MAF, to the new location, so i don't have to move it.

So, what do you think? Its a lot move involved than ABIM / Osiris's designed one, do you think mine would be uneccessarily complicated?

Any comments, or orders...:d

bradc
11-03-2006, 02:01 AM
looks good, I'll have two of those airfilters in my cold air box which will be a similar size and shape.

mpau009
11-03-2006, 02:28 AM
looks good, I'll have two of those airfilters in my cold air box which will be a similar size and shape.

Howd you manage that? That HKS one is over 200mm in diameter, and takes up most of the box, are you using cone shaped ones?

Also, what do you reckon about the airflow? are you going to try anything extra, or will your box be mosly open?

The thing i'm considering now, would be to put in a false wall on the side facing the engine, like a double glazed window, to keep that heat out. Would that be overkill, or do you know how long will it take for heat to seep through the aluminium?

bradc
11-03-2006, 02:35 AM
My ones aren't the 200mm ones, they are a little smaller than that, same basic model and shape though.

Mine will be sealed and will suck air from the front bumper, through the main hole. It will eventually be the same style as Kenneths bumper which has a big hole on the side of it.

I'm thinking of getting a second wall as well as insulation, but I will test it first and see how it goes.