PDA

View Full Version : Suspension check

scc
11-03-2006, 12:24 PM
How do I check the condition of the shocks and springs?

Something doesn't feel quite right when I turn corners, and I've got back pain now - car feels stiffer recently!

scc

Kieran
11-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Something doesn't feel quite right when I turn corners, and I've got back pain now - car feels stiffer recently!

The 'Bounce' test isn't infallable on these cars. Both my V6 and My VR-4 have/had knackered shockers. When I changed the ones on the V6, they looked okay, no leaks and they passed the bounce test. However, the ride was getting increasingly 'crashy'.

When we got the struts off the car, we found that on all 4, you could push the shock absorber piston in, and it would just sit there! No rebound at all!:speechles

My VR-4 has gone the same way - so I would suspect you just need a set of new shockers. You're coming up to 5 years old on the car and with average mileage, they will be showing some wear by now. My V6 lasted 4 years and 80,000 miles, but they'd evidently been worn out for some time when I changed them.

I-S
11-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Hummm... might this explain the clonk noises and general feeling that my car doesn't quite ride like it should at 102800?