PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light, doh

Axeboy
11-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi Lads

Been working on the legnum today and re wired in one of the abs sensor cables hoping that this would turn the ABS warning light off... but no.

Boo!

Would I need to run the car for it to 'register' some kind of change... or should i inspect the other sensors? Also, how do you clean these sensors if need be?

Failing that... any other options...???

/pan
/pan
/pan
:afro:

Axeboy
11-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Im also currently replacing a handbrake cable... could this cause the light to be on?

Nick VR4
11-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Disconnect battery might help :speechles

Axeboy
11-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Tried that... didnt help :(

bernmc
11-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Hi Lads

Been working on the legnum today and re wired in one of the abs sensor cables hoping that this would turn the ABS warning light off... but no.

Boo!

Would I need to run the car for it to 'register' some kind of change... or should i inspect the other sensors? Also, how do you clean these sensors if need be?

Failing that... any other options...???

Inspect all the sensors. If you've got a multimeter, check the resistance of each, and make sure they're all reading similar, and not short circuited. The cores can pick op iron filings and intefere with operation - quite difficult to get rid of because there's such a small space between the sensor and the ring, unless you can get the sensor out of the hub. Pic below of where to clean...

Other thing to check is the toothed ABS rings themselves - can crack or loose teeth.

Axeboy
11-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks mate.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

pezza
11-03-2006, 09:11 PM
MAster bernmc ABS sensor master has spoken :D

Thanks mate.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

Good luck with resolving the problems... if the light was off previously, then hopefully all four sensors are ok... If the ABS sensor does not read between 1Kohm and 1.5Kohm then the abs startup check fails, thinking that one sensor is missing or faulty..

Axeboy
11-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Light has been on since i got it.

The abs sensor cable at one hub was damanged and assumed to be the issue. However, we reiwred that today and no change to the light.

I might get a multimeter to double check tho'

Axeboy
02-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Drove the car last week, and the light went off... reckon it just needed a little run to register...

Kieran
02-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Drove the car last week, and the light went off... reckon it just needed a little run to register...

That's correct. I cannot remember where I heard this (might have been at the dealership) but when the ABS system registers a 'fault' it stays there untill it has seen 3 instances of 'normal' operation. I think this is to account for things such as grit getting in the way of a sensor and such.