PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Cooler

Wodjno
12-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Does this look suitable for our cars. My thoughts are that with this cooler with the fan and in conjunction with a thermostat. It doesn't need mounting in direct air flow(and with peeps with larger FMIC's this is not easy). The oil will warm up as normal and will get efficiently cooled for the duration of the time the oil exceeds the thermostat temperature. So if your ragging it hard through the box but not getting up to speeds sufficient create enough air flow to cool the oil, this little kiddy will cool the oil whatever speed you are doing ??:thinking:

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=20&subcat=28&pid=75

Which Size ?? 70297 - Hi-Tek Cooling System 13-1/2"x9"x3-1/2" with 9-1/2" diameter fan.
(Specs: Fan flows 500 cfm, draws 6 amps, weight 7lbs.)
or
70298 - Hi-Tek Cooling System 10"x7-1/2"x4" with 7" diameter fan.
(Specs: Fan flows 350 cfm, draws 6 amps, weight 5lbs.)

And is 175 degrees ok for fan on or is it to late ??
EDIT: Question Answered Here !! http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page02.html

What do you reckon.. :inquisiti

If you think there upto the Job i may order a bulk load, if interest is high enough.. :happy:

bernmc
12-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Any idea of prices, wodj? I might be interested...

bradc
13-03-2006, 07:22 AM
it looks very good, I had never thought of the thermostat at all, that could be very handy for our transmissions that only shift properly at a certain temperature. It might be a little small though, some of the others I've seen have been about twice that size.

Wodjno
13-03-2006, 07:29 AM
/Hmmm :p I am waiting for a price to come back on both sizes of cooler..

Not to sure but it's Definitely Cheaper than a new geabox or re-build..

Between £100 and £150 !

This would be for the Larger one. Not sure what size would be sufficient.. And that is a Max price to, over estimating hopefully..:happy:

Wodjno
13-03-2006, 09:12 AM
it looks very good, I had never thought of the thermostat at all, that could be very handy for our transmissions that only shift properly at a certain temperature. It might be a little small though, some of the others I've seen have been about twice that size.

Twice 13 1/2 inches that would be over 600mm which is as big as a FMIC. :inquisiti

What you got to remember is that it's been cooled by the fan so the larger area is not needed..

My only worry is how often our oil in our transmissions is above 170 degrees.. what is the temp at normal driving.. We don't want the fan on all the time..

Has anyone got an oil temp sensor fitted to there transmission to give us some ideas of what temps are normal in our cars . :happy:

bradc
13-03-2006, 09:24 AM
sorry I forgot about you guys measuring things THE OLD WAY :) I wasn't paying attention at all and I thought it was all in THE NEW WAY :P

Wodjno
13-03-2006, 09:43 AM
sorry I forgot about you guys measuring things THE OLD WAY :) I wasn't paying attention at all and I thought it was all in THE NEW WAY :P

You mean you didn't know how to convert Inches to mm /pan/Hmmm :p

bradc
13-03-2006, 10:03 AM
no, i thought it said xxCM x xxCM x xxCM, I didn't notice the " at all, I guess I was just really really tired at the time. I only had about 5 hours sleep over the whole weekend, so thats my excuse :)

Wodjno
13-03-2006, 10:25 AM
/help There must be someone out there who has installed a temp sensor in there trans box that can supply some data.. :2thumbsup

Wodjno
13-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Heres a nice little article on Trans Coolers.. Not to in depth, but giving some good info:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/44618/

Wodjno
17-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Right ! I'm ordering 1 of these on Monday.. If anyone else wants in then let me know.. Price will be around £150 if theres only a few takers.. If theres at least 10 then it will be around £135.. :happy:

Which ever way it's more than a Tiddly bit cheaper than a New Gearbox :2thumbsup

amsoil
17-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Just a thought but Amsoil ATF will live very happily at 170 'old money' degrees and even 270 old money ' degrees is not a problem. check the link here:-
http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/automatic_transmission_fluid.html

It will even take upto 370 degrees but I wouldn't be happy with pipes and joints at thet temperature. If you look at the lower graph (which is misleading) it appears that the Amsoil ATF lasts 3 times longer too, it isn't the case, they just stopped the test here, guess they got bored.

If you really must have a cooler I have about 50 or so let me know a size. But you might find that with Amsoil ATF all will be well and that 'masking' the radiator with a cooler is unnecessary.

Wodjno
17-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Is there anything you haven't got for sale Don ?? :thinking: Have you any Bathroom Radiators :inquisiti
I don't doubt the quality of the Amsoil ATF, it's the quality of the gearbox seals etc. Having an oil that can take the extreme temps is not much use if the gearbox seals decide to break down and dump it all over the road. :speechles

Do your coolers have fans on ? I like this idea as i wont have to directly mount it in the stream or mount it in front of another cooling rad on the car..

Thanks for the offer :2thumbsup

Out of interest though can you PM details of your coolers sizes and quantitys and prices.. ;)

amsoil
17-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Is there anything you haven't got for sale Don ?? :thinking: Have you any Bathroom Radiators :inquisiti
I don't doubt the quality of the Amsoil ATF, it's the quality of the gearbox seals etc. Having an oil that can take the extreme temps is not much use if the gearbox seals decide to break down and dump it all over the road. :speechles

Totally agree with you; and I'd be worried about the pipes too, but at least it gives a margin on the oil. I'll dig out sizes tomorrow and PM you, they will all be JIC fitting and are the very best quality comming from TWR via the Receiver.

Rally205
17-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Normal operating temperature range is 70-90 degrees celsius.

Wodjno
17-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanx Marcus.. :happy:

So thermostat switching the fan on at 170 degrees f is about right then.. 70c(166f) to 90c(196f)..

:2thumbsup

Rally205
17-03-2006, 02:08 PM
I think the fan cuts in too early. Normal range is 70-90 although according to the manual 100 is not abnormal so I would want the fan to come on at about 110 degrees celsius and stay on until the temp drops to 80.