PDA

View Full Version : Dripping in oil

pezza
13-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Yesterday I decided to remove my dump valve whilst trying to adjust it (WODJ - yeh I know what you are about to say) after I discovered it was covered in oil.

I could see black oil dripping from both the recirc and vacuum pipes once disconnected. So was wondering if anyone else has this issue with their cars and if so, how severe?

I am running high boost so am wondering if any seals have been damaged due to this? I think I have done about 1.5K since last oil change too so wondered about the degradation of the oil in this time...

I have backed down the boost and will investigate this over the next few days (if I get time) I am still to fit my catch can... esp if intercooler upgrade is happening this year :-/

Thinking how much oil there could be in my intakes, vacuum pipes and intercooler is a lil worrying :anxious:

Wodjno
13-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Andy(The Vee) once told me when i addressed him with this issue with mine !!

That a Little oil goes a long way.. :thinking: Meaning it could be just a teaspoonful !!

You gotta remember that your dump valve is sitting way down low so any oil in your pipes will accumalate in it once the car has been sitting for a while.. /yes

Didn't know i was gonna say that Didja :p

Nick Mann
13-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Mine was throwing out lots of oil - but I guess I know why now! I'll have a look again in a few weeks and see if I think it is still throwing a bit out.

pezza
13-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Wodj, yup does make sense... and yup thats what I thought you would say :D

Cheers Nick let us know what you find.. BTW did you fit your catch can?
Have you checked it recently?

Wodjno
13-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Wodj, yup does make sense... and yup thats what I thought you would say :D

:speechles

Just a thought ?? Have you been running yours closed !! :thinking:

pezza
13-03-2006, 11:48 AM
:speechles

Just a thought ?? Have you been running yours closed !! :thinking:

its been fully VTA so the residue of oil that poured out of the the recirc pipe, either is from the front turbo or the dump valve as collected oil from the intercooler even tho closed to the recirc... (altho I think the stealthFX may still divert some air to recirc pipe even tho its switched fully to VTA)

BraindG
13-03-2006, 12:24 PM
I had a "similair" issue when I was racing at trax...
After about 4 or so laps, i started losing aload of power..
pulled in, got the our stand, lifted the bonnet, and found oil everywhere, coming out of the mushroom, out of dumpvavle, up the boost controller pipes (did have nice white filters) - nothing was wrong, i did panic, dont get me wrong, but ive had no reoccurances, nor any more instances of it..

What im trying to say is, in some cases it looks like oil gets into the intercooler pipes, and becuase your dump is low down, (like glenn mentioned) it might just have been a nice area for the oil to gather..