PDA

View Full Version : Self levelling rear suspension.

Paul Beazer
14-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Im guessing the general setup is basically the same for all Galant wagons / Legnums regardless.

2 things.

1) How do i tell if i have it or not?
2) How does it work?

SGHOM
15-03-2006, 03:21 PM
1) How do i tell if i have it or not?
2) How does it work?

1] we haven't got it
2] so it wont work

Wodjno
15-03-2006, 05:18 PM
And if you did.. !! Everytime you but something heavy in the boot of your car and it sinks down.. !!:inquisiti

It would then come back up to the original height :2thumbsup

I-S
15-03-2006, 05:49 PM
My GLS has it (the VR4s never did for some reason... it probably makes the handling worse I guess). If I load the boot up with heavy stuff the car doesn't sag down.

My guess is that it's a platform damping system (like those used on mountain bikes). Low-speed compression damping is very strong, but high speed damping is weak, so a sudden wheel movement (eg a bump or pothole) isn't strongly resisted whereas slow movement or constant weight is.

pezza
16-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Its works with hydraulic pump activated by the rear end bounce...and a slow drain reservoir...

If rear of car loaded then the rear of the car sags and it will bounce / oscillate more during driving and this motion pumps oil into a chamber in the shock which stiffens it up and raises the rear of the car.. the harder the suspension becomes the less it will bounce and less oil pumped in. When there is minimal bounce no more oil is pumped in..

When the car is stationary the oil will slowly drain out back into the reservoir and ride drops back to standard height....

I-S
16-03-2006, 01:42 PM
That answers that then...

Paul Beazer
16-03-2006, 07:34 PM
So how can i tell if i have it, unless i put a washing machine in my boot?

richy rich
16-03-2006, 10:21 PM
put a washing machine in boot or some bricks.

I-S
16-03-2006, 11:55 PM
All non-VR4 estates to UK spec should have it. Saloons don't.

I found out 4 days after I got mine because I loaded it up with mounds of crap moving home from uni, and it didn't sag at all. Same story with moving washing machine, fridge, freezer, hifi rack (it weighs over 100kg), etc...

Nick Mann
17-03-2006, 11:12 AM
The V6-24 had it. I never loaded the sport with enough weight to find out, but I wouldn't argue with Isaac. I would expect the car to have it.