PDA

View Full Version : Evo wheels fitted - anyone agree with these comments?

mike
04-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Hi people, right I've now got Evo 6 OZ wheels fitted, and although the handling is improved and so are the looks, I get loads of bump steer.

An uneven road surface is a nightmare as your constantly correcting the steering. Has anyone else experienced this?

I believe this is due to the offset of the std wheel and OZ wheel being different. Am I right in saying that the std wheel has a 46 offset, and the OZ is 38?

I'm considering taking the brave step of machining the wheel hub face to change the offset, but am waiting to after I've fitted some Brembos up front to see how much clearance there is or isn't!

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Mike

-LegnumVR4-
04-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Your wheel alignment may have changed a bit causing the bump steer. Was your car lowered before u put on the new wheels? Did u have the factory 16" on before? The higher profile tyres may have masked the bump steer.

Spirit
05-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Can't confirm the offset of the originals wheels mate as mine did not come with them, but I have OZ Superleggera's on their now and they are +45 offset

mike
05-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the replys guys, been out in it some more today - Sunday driving! The handling is excellent, I can induce 4 wheel drifting nice and easily and control it now!

Anyway back to the point - LegnumVR4 - yes I did have the factory 16's on previously with std ride height. I had the tracking done previously, and have just had it checked INSERT INTO post VALUES (yesterday) to make sure.

I'm certain its the offset thats doing it, so I'll see how it goes. Just worried about the bearings suffering from the offset being too extreme now.

Mike

Ultra VR-4
05-10-2003, 08:59 PM
can i see a pic of your vr4 please!

calum
05-10-2003, 11:16 PM
you'll probably find that the offset is affecting it, but tyres can have a big effect on tramlining/ bump steer too. I find that Toyo Proxes reduce it, but are not quite as 'sharp' on turn in as some. As usual, everything's a compromise. Sensible move waiting on the calipers to check clearance.

Calum

phosty
07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Hmmn - old thread I know but I have just fitted some Evo 7 wheels to my Pre-Facelift and I have experienced the same issues.

(see my gallery - what d'ya think of the black look?)

Since fitting I have noticed a lot of tramlining. Previously I had the factory BBS multispoke 16" wheels. The new Evo 7 wheels have 235/45ZR17 97Y tyres fitted.

As far as I can make out from this forum the standard wheels are:

16"x8.5" Offset 46mm - with 225/50 R16 tyres

compared to the new Evo 7 ones:

17" x 9" Offset 38mm - with 235/45ZR17 97Y tyres

I was wondering if by placing spacers between the wheel and hub I could increase my offset to something closer to the original 46mm and hopefully reduce the tramlining effect? Obviously I will have to make sure I leave enough thread for the wheel nuts.

Plus as my front wheels are now just bordering on being legal (I can just see the tread pattern proud of the wheel arch) adding spacers will mean I need to be looking at adding some arch mouldings too.

The wider wheels certainly feel more planted on the road and seem to have increased grip (they are 5% wider after all) but the amount of feed back is slightly worrying, especially at high speed.

Phil

william
07-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Spacing the wheels out will reduce the offset even further (adding a 5 mm spacer will make your offset 33mm at which point you will have wheel arch clearance problems), so that is not going to help. I have EVO 7 wheels ATM with the same tyre size as you and do not experience the same problem. I would guess your problem is more likely alignment or tyre make related

MPBVr4
07-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I've got EVO8 Enkei's with no problems ,although did have an issue originally which was put down too much"toe in". Paralleled them up - fine now.

richy rich
07-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Have you got 235s on the wheels ive had them before and i dont like it becouse they tram line. I changed back to 225 and no more prob.

bradc
07-06-2007, 08:22 PM
The stock wheels are 16x6 +46mm and the EVO 7's are 17x8 +38mm. I changed from 225/50/16 on stock facelift 16x6.5" +38mm wheels and I didn't notice any difference in tramlining or bump steer, but what I did notice was that the steering wheel became harder to move and felt less assisted than before, which I quite liked :)

My prefacelift VR-4 has 215/45/17 tyres with 17x7 +45mm wheels on it and I can't tell a difference between that and my facelift car with it's 235/45/17 tyres on it and 35mm offset wheels, apart from the difference in turning the steering wheel.

It might be an alignment thing, I would suggest you get that looked at.

William - btw have you taken new pics of your car with the new wheels?

william
07-06-2007, 09:46 PM
No Brad, I was thinking of taking some piccies this weekend. Will post them on my gallery

phosty
12-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Ahh - so I had incorrectly assumed the Evo 7 wheels were 9" wide? I had assumed that the width of the tyre (235mm - or 9.25") would be a little wider than the wheel lip giving a wheel width of 9".

uploaded/4134/1181668053.gif

So as the EVO 7's are 17x8 +38mm as BradC gave above compared to the stock 16" wheels at 16x6 +46mm that means:

Wheel______Outside edge (from Hub)______Inside edge (from Hub)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evo 7______([8x25.4/2]-38) = 63.6mm_____([8x25.4/2]+38) = 139.6mm
Stock 16"___([6x25.4/2]-46) = 30.2mm_____([6x25.4/2]+46) = 122.2mm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Difference__________________33.4mm________________ _____17.4mm

So my new wheel rims stick out 33.4mm wider than the old wheels and 17.4mm closer to the inner side of the wheel arch too.

What I don't understand then is how come the 8" wheels come with tyres that are wider - 235/45ZR17 97Y - but seem to fit flush with the outside rim? That must be the lip on the diagram above then?

I was also wrong on the size of my old stock tyres - they are 205/55R16 not 225/50 R16 tyres.

I didn't realise how you can put different sized tyres on the same wheel - though I guess it's no different to stretched wheels?

I think I might try 225s on the new wheels when they are due for renewel and see if that improves things like RichyRich suggests. What would the range of safe tyre sizes be for the wheel size?

bradc
12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
If you look closely at that pic, the measurement of A x2 is the width of the wheel, but the tyre will sit on the lips at the top part of the wheel, and sometimes stick out a little bit more.

235 tyres on 8" rims will look as if they are going straight up, like | | while 225 or 215 tyres will be stretched slightly, like / \. Stretched tyres will make the car move about on the road less, if you go up to a VR-4 with stock 205/55/16 wheels and push it from side to side there will be quite a lot of movement. If you try it on a VR-4 with 17x8 rims and 235/45 tyres there will be a lot less movement due to the smaller and stiffer sidewalls as well as the shape of the tyre being less of a ballon shape on the wheel. If you then go up to a VR-4 with 215/45 tyres on a 17x8 rim and try to push it, there will be virtually no movement at all! Obviously there is a trade off to having no movement at all, in this case you have a narrower tyre. I'm running 235/45/17's on 17x9.5" wheels with a 35mm offset and have the best of both worlds, wide tyres and very little sidewall flex, but the rear tyres rub on the rear arches with this setup.

If you go to www.1010tires.com there is a handy wheel offset calculator.

With 17x8 tyres you can run any of 235/45, 235/40, 225/40

phosty
13-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks Bradc - answered all my questions and then some.

Guess I'll have to get used to the improved performance!

You See
15-06-2007, 11:36 AM
I had the same issue when I put on my E9 wheels...In my particular case THEY WERE THE TYRES! ..they must of been over inflated at some point, but going over bumps meant sudden flick in direction. Got new tyres (balanced but no further alignment) coupla months ago - haven't happened since!..my experience anyway! :)

JMO
12-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Well i just put EVO 8 rims on, and am having a little bit of bump steer, i am getting an alignment done tomorrow so will see how that goes

phosty
12-07-2007, 09:04 PM
I had mine alligned too last week. Front right was well out - so much so that the steering wheel that I thought was on wrong (used to have to sterr at 12:30 position to go straight) is now dead true.

But the tramlining / bump steer is still present. They did say there was play in one on the ball joints and both trackrod ends need replacing so I was going to hit them next.

JMO
15-07-2007, 05:07 AM
Well i got mine back and now it is fine to drive, it had 9 deg of toe out, evry thing eles was fine, so now i am happy :)

phosty
10-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I had both lower arms and track rod ends replaced by Mitsi in Aberdeen this week (£538 fitted). Not cheap, but from the experience others have had on non-oem parts it seemed false economy not to go for original mitsubishi items. They only charged 2hrs labour for the whole lot too - I would barely have got both wheels off in that time!

Anyway, with regards to this thread, the new ball joints have really firmed up my loose steering. As a result the bump steer is now much reduced. I feel quite comfortable hitting 80mph with only one hand on the wheel now whereas before the wheel would just kick around to the point I just couldn't relax at speeds.

There is still noticeable feedback put I am putting this down to the much wider, lower profile tyres. It doesn't feel unsafe anymore so it was a success for me!!