PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Questions...

T4Primera
05-10-2003, 06:41 AM
Im new to this whole turbo thing...but I have to say I like it! :)
I have been looking over my VR4 and I have a few questions.
1) I had a good look at the blow off valve. Its a Trust Type R and has a soft and hard setting. Does anyone know anything about this? What is a good setting?
2) Also, one of the pipes has been disconnected and the pipe has been plugged. The Blow Off Value has a flange with nothing attached. Is this the recirculating pipe? Is it better to have it on or off?
3) The car has an HKS Filter INSERT INTO post VALUES (like most of the VR4's I have seen). After reading Daves article about the heat I am interested in getting a heat sheild for it. Does anyone know if such a thing exists for the HKS filters?
4) What is the easiest way of increasing the boost to 1 bar. Im not interested in doing huge modifications requiring fancy electronics...just want it to be a bit faster than the standard VR4.

Thanks

Mark

-LegnumVR4-
05-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Hard or soft setting maybe the amount of noise the BOV makes. Hard for loud and soft for quite. The pipe that has been plug was where the factory BOV valve dumped the air back into the system. It's normal for that to be pluged. I guess the flang is where the air is dumped to the athmosphere. Not sure about the heat sheild for the HKS, some of the other guys on here will be able to tell u. As for boost control, i use the Turbosmart E-Boost, used to use a manual boost controller but it's noway as good as the EBC.

Rhys

T4Primera
05-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Whats involved in installing a manual boost controller? How much would one set me back?

-LegnumVR4-
06-10-2003, 07:38 PM
There are a couple of pipes u have to 'T' into which the MBC connects to. Your looking at about $100 for a MBC. You will also need a boost guage to setup the boost pressure. I'll post a diagram of the pipes you connect to soon.

Rhys

T4Primera
07-10-2003, 06:57 AM
Thanks. That would be great. Also some suggestions of where to get the bits.

-LegnumVR4-
07-10-2003, 08:55 AM
MBC setup. This is from the HKS EVC setup. Really a EBC is the best way to go.

T4Primera
15-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks for that Rhys. Did you see the Race Pro boost controllers advertised at Repco? What are your thoughts on those?
Also, they had some cheap heat sheilds for sale as well!

-LegnumVR4-
15-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Haven't seen them before mate. Best to do a search on the web for any reviews on them. Depends if the heat sheild work with the engine bay, could alway try them out before u buy. Custom design is always the way to go.