PDA

View Full Version : 2 NEW TYRES - AYC Problems

Josh2xsv
17-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi Guys

With 2 (near) bald rear tyres, a WOF looming and a serious strapped for cash situation, I have purchased 2 new tyres (The 2 existing tyres on front are 50% worn and non-directional). I wanted to make the switch to directional tyres so I bought 2 new directionals and had them fitted on the rear (which my tyre guy said would be the best place for them, though 2 different isn't that great full-stop on a 4wd)...

NOW the AYC warning is lighting up and I am worried, what should I do?

Anyone done the same thing (2 tyres at once), or have thoughts on whether the AYC would be better off with the new directionals on the front... or should I just bite the bullet and finance another 2 tyres to get me a matching set of 4???

Any feedback would be more than appreciated!

CHUR =)

Wodjno
17-03-2006, 12:30 AM
I have just changed all 4 tyres.. Not new, but only done 4 laps of a track for testing purposes.. :inquisiti
They have plenty tread left on them but they need scrubbing as the tops of the treads have been melted and there hard. :inquisiti
I have been getting the AYC lighting up aswell, but haven't panicked yet as they haven't scrubbed up yet. The rears sem to have scrubbed, but the fronts i think need shoving on the rear for a week or so to get them into shape aswell. :happy:

What i'm trying to say is that the AYC is sensing a difference between the front and the rear ammount of traction and is working away to try and compensate. Not sure whether your tyres will ever even out, as they are2 different types of tyres. But hopefully mine will..

I never change 2 tyres at a time ! Unles i have a puncture in 1 side and they are partly warn. Normally i will make sure that i swap fronts to rear as the wear on either fronts or rears looks like it's getting ahead of the other :thinking: If that makes sense.. ?? This is so that i change all 4 tyres at the same time.

Anyway this post has either Helped you or confused the Duck outta you !! :speechles

Either way it's time for Bed .. :zzz:

Night Night :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

bradc
17-03-2006, 02:10 AM
check that the tyres are pumped up evenly as well, that could be a cause of it. Do the lights come up in a straight line, or only when you go around corners?

bernmc
17-03-2006, 07:53 AM
The AYC is very sensitive to different rolling diameters - Mine lit up when I had a slow puncture and a tyre dropped 4 PSI! As bradc says, check your tyre pressures, but I suspect you're going to need to fit the same tyres to the front to sort it out.

richy rich
17-03-2006, 09:13 AM
i had a puncher in one tyre

had it changed and got one light up, when wet , uneven road, go pedal down or slite corners.

got all 4 changed and all problems went.

Spirit
17-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Personally I always change all 4 tyres at the same time......mind you they are usually equally sh*gged from track days ! As said, know several people had the same issue when tyre pressures are different.....first thing I would check :2thumbsup

Nick Mann
17-03-2006, 10:59 AM
NOW the AYC warning is lighting up and I am worried, what should I do?

The red warning light? I don't think that should come on as a result of tyres. The green bars will though.

richy rich
17-03-2006, 11:46 AM
i read that as the green bars

red lights not good

Smokinmasta2
18-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Yes i had a prob with one 1 ayc light coming on in a straight line after getting the car back on Monday. Checked all pressures and found the worst offender being nearside rear with 15psi and the opp tyre - offside front - with 35psi!!!!
Now have 32 allround - is that OK, i cant remember!!

colVR4
18-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Thats a good question Smokin. What tyre pressures do people use. At the moment I am using the pressures that are on the inner door on the drivers side which has front and rears at different pressures. What are the rest of you doing?

Nick VR4
18-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Thats a good question Smokin. What tyre pressures do people use. At the moment I am using the pressures that are on the inner door on the drivers side which has front and rears at different pressures. What are the rest of you doing?

36 PSI all round

Kieran
18-03-2006, 05:27 PM
2.3 bar front, 2.1 bar rear, as perscribed on door sticker. I am using standard tyres.

bernmc
18-03-2006, 06:41 PM
36 front, 34 back goodyear eagle f1's

Nick Mann
18-03-2006, 07:38 PM
36 all round on 235/45/17.

Wodjno
18-03-2006, 07:56 PM
36f 34r Summer 34f 32r Winter... Thats on GS-D3's.. 225/40/18's

bradc
18-03-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm with bern on this one, 36 front and 34 rear, there is less weight at the rear so that makes sense to me :)

Wodjno
18-03-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm with bern on this one, 36 front and 34 rear, there is less weight at the rear so that makes sense to me :)

And you don't get Winters :thinking:

bradc
18-03-2006, 08:29 PM
yeah we do, it was like 15C last night :) The lowest I have ever seen my outside temp read was 1C, but that was on an especially cold morning at about 6am.

Wodjno
18-03-2006, 09:16 PM
:D What i was getting at is that your winters aren't severe enough for you to notice a difference in the tyres enough to take a couple of psi out of them for the duration.. :happy:

WildCards
18-03-2006, 11:21 PM
i'm running 33 all round

Spirit
19-03-2006, 11:04 AM
34 all round for me :2thumbsup

Josh2xsv
19-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks very much for all your feedback:
IT IS THE RED WARNING LIGHT ON FULLTIME // NOT THE NORMAL AYC 3 BARS

I will be taking it in to my mitsi dealer to get checked out i guess... arrrgh bills!!! *nervously biting fingernails*

bradc
20-03-2006, 02:31 AM
if it is the warning light then you could be in for something rather expensive. Did it come on straight after you changed the tyres?

Josh2xsv
20-03-2006, 05:37 AM
It wasn't immediately - prob 2 weeks later... maybe 300kms???

Better start practicing without my left arm & leg then aye? :inquisiti

bradc
20-03-2006, 08:05 AM
have you looked underneath to see if there are any leaks, and checked the dipstick for the ayc to see if their is any fluid left?

Nick Mann
20-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Go for full AYC fluid change and ecu reset. Then describe the symptoms. Does the AYC light never go out? Or does it go out and then come back on when you start driving?

Josh2xsv
21-03-2006, 04:38 AM
I will see to the AYC Fluid change and ECU reset ASAP...

In the meantime - Some symtoms:

When I start the car the AYC warning light is NOT lit... The red AYC warning light only comes on after rolling (rev or fwd), sometimes it doesn't come on for quite some time - but if there is a full-lock turn most likely it comes on immediately (if it wasn't on already).

It is intermitant and that annoys me.. though more often than not the AYC Warning light will be lit by the time I get where I'm going... And it does feel while the warning is lit that there is some wandering (not nearly as tight in cornering etc) I guess the AYC is NOT functioning at that point.

/help

Nick Mann
21-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Sounds like classic pressure switch failure. My car had the same symptoms. A new pressure switch sorted my problems. Non-mitsy part, though.

Read here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=84542) for a more in depth explanation.