PDA

View Full Version : New Emissions Standard - 2006 - VR-4 may not pass !!

KiwiTT
05-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Initially, I thought the new emission standard would be a good thing. Less smoke from diesels, "boy-racers" cars toned down; making our standard VR-4 look real good.

How can the emissions certifiers distinguish between whether a car is suitable for JAP but not US level of emissions, and therefore fail the car because it exceeds the more stringent US level.

I ask this because our beloved VR-4 could not be sold in the US because of emission laws there. It may require extensive and hence expensive modification to meet the US level, which may be used by the certifiers.

I was wondering if I should take my car to the emission certifier they showed on TV recently.

Brind
05-10-2003, 11:35 PM
2006? did I fall asleep and just regain consciousness 3 years later? damn these cobwebs are all over my keyboard. :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( :D

I'm no expert on emissions.
But I find it hard to believe the US has such issues with a very clean petrol burner such as the VR-4 with emission control devices such as a catalytic converter and electronic ignition etc and yet they have no issues with their 8 litre V12's drinking fuel at 5 miles per gallon.. :rolleyes:
Or are older cars exempt?

KiwiTT
05-10-2003, 11:49 PM
We in NZ are to bring these standards in 2006 (http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocument.cfm?DocumentID=17870) and as I expect to have my VR-4 for beyond that time, it is of some concern for me long term. Otherwise only 3 years of pleasure then heartache.

see your comments here (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1475) about the US, which initially sparked my concern.

jtfleming
05-10-2003, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about this just yet. No legislation has been drawn up yet and sure the VR4 will pass anyway as long as it is tuned properly. Remember this is New Zealand and there would be outrage if the law was too stiff. They are just trying to get rid of badly tuned pieces of crap!!!

KiwiTT
06-10-2003, 12:00 AM
As a person willing to spend on regular maintenance, I suspect my vehicle will be up there in compliance.

Brind
06-10-2003, 12:10 AM
Oh I see.
Although it may not apply in New Zealand, here in the UK it would be virtually impossible to ban a vehicle here for emissions.
They have however made it MUCH more expensive to run a car which has higher emissions, older cars require a lead based fuel but they discontinued that and supplied a replacement fuel which is suitable for those cars, but obviously the cost is sky high.
Many older cars can be converted to use the normal unleaded fuel by fitting hardend valves to cope without the lead content.
Plus many older cars make themselves extint simply because they use too much fuel for the average person to afford.

Plus many cars have a huge historic and enthusiastic following so it wouldn't be very advisable to rid the cars just over emissions.

If emissions were such a concern then by 2006 it would be very cheap to run on LPG which is a mixture of propane and butane which is available here now.

jtfleming
06-10-2003, 02:02 AM
We have had LPG here for many years and the popularity has waned as our petrol is still relitively cheap. Leaded petrol was discontinued here a few years ago and an additive can be put in older cars to substitite the lead. Any legislation to clean the air is a good thing as future generations need something left of this planet!!!:cool1: :cool1:

Spader
06-10-2003, 09:07 AM
I just read it and you can breathe a sigh of relief, cos this is in there
Vehicles already in New Zealand will not be affected.

And this This rule will ensure that New Zealand doesn’t become a dumping ground for vehicles that are not built to a European, American, Australian or Japanese emissions standard.

Nick VR4
06-10-2003, 11:30 AM
There was a post somewhere
Stating that NO more VR4's would be imported to UK due to new emmision laws coming out :eek:

The USA is weird anyway as some states have different emmision laws
California is very strict other places arent
Also getting 98+ ron is really hard most gas stations use 95
So all cars imported are always less powerfull than other countries due to being messed about with anyway for emmsion laws etc

I drove a dodge Intrepid V6 3.5 litre in Las Vagas , Utah and California.

It was slower than my old Mondeo V6 estate
I was expecting it to be pretty fast WRONG
:rolleyes:
http://images.automotive.com/stock/300/DODGE/INTREPID/2003/4SA.jpg