PDA

View Full Version : Pose value or real upgrade?

wirdy
05-10-2003, 11:20 PM
'Wavy' discs have been on bikes now for some time, so I guess it was inevitable.
See what you think.....should I be the first to get some?
http://www.rotordiscs.com/main_page.htm

enigma
06-10-2003, 12:14 PM
You could be if I hadn't already ordered some!!!!!

I have a full set on order :D

Not something they stock as standard, but if you speak to Nigel he is very helpful!

I will be picking them up this week and fitting them on Friday ready for the pod. :cool1:

Look nice which is all you want from your brakes!

enigma
06-10-2003, 12:23 PM
By the way if you do call Nigel let him know I recommended them!

After all I did sort out how to do the rear discs! They were not listed, but now they should be! A damn sight cheaper than any of the other performance rear discs out there INSERT INTO post VALUES (Still not cheap though!) I guess it is supply and demand!

wirdy
06-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Darn, beat me to it...you were staying rather quiet about the discs? hmmmm........ Sorry if I spoilt the surprise.

Had an e-mail today from Nigel @ rotordisk. Funny old thing, he told me he was getting a set made for 'another chap with a car like yours'. You're rigt they're not cheap, but the best looking discs on the market at present. Hope you get them fitted for 'pod, I'd like to see them in the flesh.
I assume they advise to stick with standard mitsi pads on the rears, due to the limited amount of work the rears do anyway?

Spirit
06-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Am I reading that right ?

£199 for front pair and £484 for rears !!!

And how come the 3000GT rears are only £172 but the same size ?

enigma
06-10-2003, 10:04 PM
£484 is perhaps the quoted price, however.............

After speaking extensively to Nigel, he has got some discs in INSERT INTO post VALUES (after I gave him the part number!) for me, will be machining them, plating them etc etc. The cost? Cheaper is all I am prepared to say at the moment!

I did look at the 3000gt discs, they are 8mm different in total height which would have meant having spacers made for the calipers..................not good! Instead I think Nigel has come up trumps. Look for VR4/Evo 4 upgraded rears anywhere and you are looking the best part of £500....................................

If they work they work, if they dont they will look the dogs INSERT INTO post VALUES (for a week or so!) :cool1:

enigma
09-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Picked up my discs today in person from Rotordiscs factory in Skelmersdale. Have to say I have been nothing but impressed by the level of customer service given by Nigel. When I got to the factory it became apparent this was not a fly by night establishment! Highly professional and very busy bunch! Perhaps they dont deserve the contempt they seem to have on the MLR forum? Anyway for me they look damn cool, just have to see if they work after I fit them tomorrow! :cool1:

Spirit
09-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Good luck mate, but sure you will be fine :D

enigma
10-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Hmmmm they look bootiful!! :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hidle/images/Rotordiscs0001small.JPG

enigma
10-10-2003, 02:08 PM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hidle/images/Rotordiscs0002small.JPG

enigma
10-10-2003, 03:37 PM
By the way I figured out why the rears are so expensive............they are combined discs AND drums. That is for stopping it uses the discs on the hydraulic circuit. For the hankbrake it uses a drum arrangement with shoes on the inside of the drum part of the disc. Just thought you might be interested! What it does mean is that the 3000GT discs almost certainly wont fit.

wirdy
10-10-2003, 09:52 PM
They look superb....I want some, please!!

Yes, our cars use mini shoes for the handbrake, like Volvo's do INSERT INTO post VALUES (I have a 760 turbo also). You'll find most manufacturers never really cracked the problem of getting a good handbrake action using cables and cams acting on the rear calipers.
And if you've ever had a Vauxhall / Volkswagon with rear discs you'll know all about the trouble with seizing rear calipers.
My father remembers that Jaguars used to have a special exemption on the MOT, as even new ones struggled to pass on the handbrake test!
Will be good to see them in the flesh over the weekend.

jerryd_33
29-02-2004, 02:44 AM
hi , well that is not all true about the hand brake not working on calipers . used to own a Nissan Bluebird ZX TURBO and that had discs all round with the arrangement of some kind of valve device in the rear brake circuit linked to the hand brake lever which was very effective , did quite a few manouvers with it . yes the lever was connected to the valve through a cable , but the cable in turn was connected to the valve by meens of a push / pull rod . the only problem i had with those rear calipers is they leaked fluid but that was easily repaired by changing some seals .

wirdy
29-02-2004, 02:21 PM
You'll find most manufacturers never really cracked the problem of getting a good handbrake action using cables and cams acting on the rear calipers.

Just meant the cable type rear disc handbrakes....sounds like your Bluebird ZX had a version of a rear line lock system, a very nice solution to the problem.
As you'll probably know these line-locks are popular with the 'burn-out' boys / drag racers and rally cars and can be plumbed in to act on all four wheels or on front / rear as you wish.

I looked at the Bluebird ZX some years ago.....very much a wolf in sheeps clothing (much like our VR4's), a very under-rated car, and quite rare to find a good one...I tried for 6 months before giving up, all thre cars I looked at had been abused by the spotty-'yoof army.

Japmetal
29-02-2004, 02:51 PM
I have a handbrake cable/spring-clamping setup for the rear discs on my 1990 GTi - It works perfectly well in the main [altho I do hear it 'pop' off as I move off some mornings if the weather has been cold] and only really gets upset on the steepest of hills - and living in Wales I mean STEEP !

I put this down mainly to the fact the cables are getting on for 14 years old now, and fully intend to cure this problem with a full handbrake overhaul [along with all those other 1,001 little problems you get niggling away on older cars !]

Dave, those discs are SWEET - d'you think they'd do them for mine ? or would it be cheaper to buy a small third-world country to make them for me ? :uhoh2: