PDA

View Full Version : Are they all Auto/Tip?

Petrolhead
22-04-2003, 01:23 PM
Just wondering if all the 8th Gen VR4's are auto/tiptronic boxes?

Quite like the lazy autobox, but for future reference I'd like to know what the possibilities were.

D.

Roadrunner
22-04-2003, 07:22 PM
There is a Type-V that is manual but, according to my Ralliart catalogue, it loses the AYC, the wheelarch extensions and runs on 205/55R16s on narrower INSERT INTO post VALUES (16x6JJ) rims.

Brian

BraindG
22-04-2003, 07:36 PM
see, this is where things get a bit strange..

ive got a manual, which has to be a Type-V, as a manual doesnt come in the Type-S..

yet I have AYC........why?.. well...
the fluids been changed,
the lights are there,
the ECU has had the AYC part updated..

Or am i missing something?

:Eek1:

Petrolhead
22-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Oh, that's another point...

This AYC thing, I know the wee lights are meant to be in the middle somewhere, but I've never seen them come on. Even got a mate to watch them as I floored it round a roundabout, but nothing. Is it broken?

D.

BraindG
22-04-2003, 08:00 PM
hmm, not a good sign, sometimes you dont really have to push it that hard to get one light come up..

I was gonna say how does the car handle, but you would really need to drive another one to really figure that out.. but just incase, how does it drive? solid? feel like your loosing it sometimes? specially when going hard..

Petrolhead
22-04-2003, 08:08 PM
No, it drives superbly. As mentioned elsewhere, I'm used to driving a supercharged and lowered MX5, and after driving the Galant the MX5 felt floaty :eek:

BraindG
22-04-2003, 08:19 PM
cables might have been pulled out when they did the convertion to MPH..

how long you had the car?
it an import?

take the dash apart? :D

Petrolhead
22-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Had the car a couple of months, yes it's an import, and yes it's had the clock conversion.

Looks like a cable then :Cry1:

BraindG
22-04-2003, 08:33 PM
getting into the dash is a piece of cake - shouldnt take you more than 30 minutes. if thats what the problem is.. i recon it is..

Spirit
22-04-2003, 08:41 PM
I can confirm that you should be able to get one light to come on quite easily. Two is my best so far and that was at 50mph around a roundabout ! Three has to be damn scarey !

I would suggest a quick visit to the local Mitsy dealer aswell to get them to plug their computer into yours to check it aswell - when I had my fluid replaced the local dealer had to download the software from Japan to reset it all up :D

Pete

-LegnumVR4-
23-04-2003, 09:45 AM
Guys, in Japan in 1996 they released your VR4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (Galant/Legnum). They were all Type-S models manual or auto with AYC, funky dash display, INSERT INTO post VALUES (TCL, ASC if auto). Now in 1998 sometime they added the Type-V model. When they did this they did the face lift to the VR4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (new front/rear bumper, side skirts, flares on the wheel arcs, tail lights, fog lights) but still keeped the Type-S model.
A visual way of telling if you have a Type-V model is to check for no flares on the guards INSERT INTO post VALUES (but has the facelift bumpers, side skirts, rear/fog lights) and if it doesn't have the funky dash display that lights up when u turn the key. The Type-S dash displayINSERT INTO post VALUES (black untill u turn the key and has the 3 AYC green bars plus a red AYC light that lights up when it tests the diff) is total different to the Type-V INSERT INTO post VALUES (display is always there).

Another point:

All the auto models up to the 1998 facelift are 260bhp not 280bhp.

The 1998 and on facelift auto models got 280bhp INSERT INTO post VALUES (ECU tweak).

All manuals from 1996 and on are 280bhp.

BraindG
23-04-2003, 10:11 AM
super info! cheers...

jaysback
24-04-2003, 07:01 AM
thats not super info.
i've just found out i'm 20 brake down:Cry1:
:mad2:

Spirit
24-04-2003, 07:14 AM
:Cry1: me too......but added a little back I hope with my induction kit !

Pete

jaysback
24-04-2003, 07:36 AM
i should be somewhere near them
zorst de-cat & ind. kit
still not happy.
what does it take to get that ecu tweek then?
can it be flashed with new prog. or ecu swap?
could be a cheap 20 bhp here :D

-LegnumVR4-
24-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Oops:)

Sorry guys but thats what Mitsubishi did, don't know why?

With an ECU swap you can get over the 20bhp without a prob. I did look into swapping the latest ECU inplace of the old one but the newer engines have different sensors meaning that they wouldn't read right etc blah blah may not even plug in.

I'm going to look at the manuals ECU tonight to see if it's the same as the auto's one.

Any of you guys can do check for me, have a look at the ECU's from a VR4 of the same year INSERT INTO post VALUES (1 auto, 1 manual) and check what the manual ECU is like to the Autos ECU. ECU's are by your left foot INSERT INTO post VALUES (drivers side); there is a little panel that u can remove that has a plastic screw in it. The autos have 2 ECU's and the manual should have one. The thing under the ECU's is the airbag sensor.

Brind
24-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Oh... so that explains the arches!

At least I have a full 280bhp!:beerbang: well maybe nigh on 300/+ with the HKS goodies.

-LegnumVR4-
02-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Guys i have an 2001 ECU here that i'm going to plug into my 97 Legnum VR4. I'll get back to later to tell u how it goes, maybe get another 20bhp :Ponder:

jaysback
02-05-2003, 08:16 AM
your a brave man:eek:
i wish you luck:rolleyes:

Brind
02-05-2003, 12:04 PM
This could be interesting.. let us know what happens?

-LegnumVR4-
06-05-2003, 08:58 AM
*posted this in the 'Performance modifications' area*

Installed the later model ECU just before....

Plugged it in.... connected the battery up......turn the key to on.....no problem there.....turned the key.....VROOOOM!

It works

Drove it around for about an hour, no problems.

Throttle response is better and u can fell that extra 20bhp there too, my head gets pushed back a lot harder than before

Now me thinks that the ECU from the manual VR4 is the same as the later models auto ECU INSERT INTO post VALUES ( i plugged the later model autos ECU into the manuals wiring loom to see if they would connect up which they did); they just started to put them into the autos at a later date. So if any of u guys could get together to do a test for me and get 2 cars that are of the same year or as close as, one manual and one auto and plug the manuals ECU into the auto. They must be the early models as well before the face lift.... duh

ITMATT
06-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Don't know if this will work for you!!!!

If you do an emergency stop INSERT INTO post VALUES (real good one) the AYC lights come on.