PDA

View Full Version : Key stuck in Ignition

Ollpen
22-03-2006, 12:51 AM
As odd as it may seem, i cannot get the key out of the ignition of my Galant -00.

I get the feeling that it is the lock that prevents you from taking the key out if you have a gear in, but i have no problems starting the car wich wouldnt be possible if a gear was in either.

Im guessing a dodgy sensor somewhere, but does anyone have any tips on what problem could be?

I have tried playing with the brake, shift-lock, gear position and the key, ive driven it around, played with the tipstick, reversing, parking etc etc but nothing seems to solve the problem.

Luckily the car is locked in so noone can steal it, but obviously thats not where i wanna have it forever.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Jimbo
22-03-2006, 03:41 AM
I'm guessing that yours is an auto tranny and you mean the lock that stops you taking the key out if you're not in park? Does it let you turn the key completely to the off position, or is it locking on the first ignition (battery on) point? If it's the latter then I'm guessing the car thinks it's not in Park, but if it's the former then it sounds more like the key is just jammed.

Gly
22-03-2006, 05:50 AM
only time ive experienced this is when i was doing a the sneak auto mod,

some like the gate lock button is stuck down,
or something on the ignition side of the lock is stuck in position.

even if the car is in park you cant pull the key out with the botton depressed,
it must be fully released.

if you can pull your shifter all the way into drive with out pushing the button, (ignition on brake depressed) its jamed at the shifter end,

if you cant, it will be jamed at the ignition end,

KiwiTT
22-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Sometimes you need to turn the wheel slightly to release the key. So long as the Gear-level is in Park.

Nick Mann
22-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Again, assuming auto and park, I think there is a mechanical connection to the ignition barrel from the gear lever. I think it could be a cable type connection. Maybe one end of that has come loose?

Ollpen
22-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi again,

Thanks for your replies all.
Yes its an auto, should have mentioned.

Today i tried to shut off my Legnum (not the galant with the problem) with stick in "Drive", and the result is exactly the same (Key locks in ACC with power to the stereo and clock). So my conclusion is that the problem is as i first thought related to the sensor showing wether the car is in park or not.

Anyone know where i can find this sensor wire and what it looks like? Prefferably both on the gearbox and ignition side.

Thanks!

Gly
22-03-2006, 08:37 PM
well if it gets stuck in acc, then i would assume its a barrel problem,

coz you can turn the car right off in any gear you want, just cant remove the key unless its in park.

it would be a park lock problem only if you can turn the car right off.

Nick Mann
22-03-2006, 10:06 PM
To give a bit more information to my last post - I don't believe it is a sensor (electrical). I believe it is a mechanical connection between the gear lever and the ignition barrel.

Ollpen
23-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Sooo, basically ill be looking for a wire?

bernmc
23-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I think Gly may be right - problem with the ig switch barrel rather than the link?

I don't know if it's relevant, but there's a thing called an inhibitor switch on top of the gear box which controls things like the starter motor etc - basically tells the car what gear it's in, so may have something to do with locking the ign barrel.

There's a thread about it here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12259), which also contains a link to the service manual pages which tell you how to inspect and adjust it. It's easy to get at in the engine bay, so may be worth a quick look.

Ollpen
24-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Well, i traced the only wire-like cable from the ignition barrel today, and it went straight to the gearbox. Problem seems to have been some RCA cables that was pressed too tight against the park sensor.

Problem solved, thanks for your inputs! :iloveyou:

richy rich
24-03-2006, 11:27 PM
glad its sorted