PDA

View Full Version : Should I, or Shouldn't I ?

detonate
22-03-2006, 06:31 AM
Just test drove a 1996 Legnum VR4, Manual, 42,000 on the clock, all certified, VTNZ mechanical report with everything "g" "Good for age" (the best mark).

Aside from a stainless exhaust right through to the manifold, and a smart turbo timer, its stock.
It's in absolutely gorgeous condition, the whole exterior and interior.

From a dealer, they want $14,990.
I think that's a bit much for a '96 even if its the best condition and lowest kays I've ever seen.

I tried talking him down, however he's not looking like he's going to budge much at all.

I think I might get him to throw in the 3year extended mechanical warranty and I'll get it.

What are your guys thoughts?

mpau009
22-03-2006, 06:55 AM
I paid $12750 for my 98 manual with 35000 on it (supposedly) but it passed all the checks in NZ and looked okay. Exterior doesn't sound as good as your one, it had a cracked headlight mount, two dents on the passenger side doors, and snow tyres. That was at the end of November.

Yours sounds like a pretty good deal, maybe a touch too high $ tho, but if you are convinced the k's are genuine then maybe its worth it. Ask yourself if the interior wear, cambelt and accessories and the like are in keeping with the k's. And re-read the buyers guide.

VTNZ are pretty good, i was impressed with their checks, and how thorough they were.

Of course, theres always more VR4s coming in, and theyre not getting more expensive, so don't be afraid to let it go if they want too much... It might be too good to be true.

detonate
22-03-2006, 07:11 AM
It's from a Mitsi dealer, its been through a "forensic odometer check" (they basically check the records over in Japan)

The inside is in damn good condition, I'm pretty sure it matches the clock.

mpau009
22-03-2006, 07:23 AM
It's from a Mitsi dealer, its been through a "forensic odometer check" (they basically check the records over in Japan)

The inside is in damn good condition, I'm pretty sure it matches the clock.

Hmmm... Can they do that for mine? Would be handy.

If your buying it from mitsi then youv got to expect to pay more. I think if you could get it for 14K then it would be a good deal. Remember theyre struggling to sell a lot of VR4s at the moment with the gas prices, they might just be playing hard to get. Keep nagging.

If the k's are right, and the systems like AYC and Aircon all work, then id likely vote yes, but 14k or 13.5k would be better, and it is still a 96...

detonate
22-03-2006, 07:37 AM
14k or 13.5k would be better, and it is still a 96...

Exactly my thoughts.

I will definately try to pester him down a bit more, but I'll be willing to pay about $14k for the car, plus the extra $1200 for the 3year mechanical warranty (transferrable if I sell it)

and re: if they can do that forensic odo check on yours? NFI, you could call up a genuine mitsi dealer and ask them

mpau009
22-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Definately, i hassled the dealer i bought mine off for about 3 weeks, he wanted $13995, but after a month of no other interest, and me ringing every second day he went for it. Even tho i think i paid a fair price.

I think you can justify the extra expense of 14k in that its coming from a decent place, not a fresh off the boat, fiddled with by some dodgy car dealer. But its your call, and i guess you know whats available around the place.

Let us know what you decide.:2thumbsup

bradc
22-03-2006, 09:49 AM
I think it is a bit too high as well, I got my facelift a year ago for $16k with recaro's, mmcs, momo wheel, sunroof, etc etc.

I would say that it is worth $13k at max. Just call them up everyday offering $13k and eventually they'll give in. It does sound like a nice car though

Xeroid
22-03-2006, 10:17 AM
End of financial year coming up as well, Mar 31, they pay tax on anything still on the yard so hang in there for a good price.

Maybe you can get him to throw in the mech warranty at that price, be flexible.

Gly
22-03-2006, 10:51 AM
i voted no,

its way over priced for its age, and very basic spec.
for that kinda money id want a super vr4.

also gas is costing more, and its not exactly like people a flocking to buy a gas guzzling turbo these days

detonate
22-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Well so far, there has only been one vote, and that is for no.

Im going to be making the decision tomorrow.....

hrmm...

I'm really liking its condition and km's
Can't say I've seen another one anywhere near as nice and low.
But then ya'll can be the judge of that if I get it and when you see it :P

Springie
23-03-2006, 01:32 AM
any pics / links or it?

Id say the price is on the high side, but it sounds a minter and at the end of the day a cars worth what someone will pay for it and if you want to pay it and think its worth it then do it!

But never pay sticker price! get a dicount on a waranty and a grand off the price or something.

KiwiTT
23-03-2006, 02:00 AM
I said yes, but get a 3 year mechanical warranty for the price.

detonate
23-03-2006, 04:38 AM
Ok, I sucked it up and bought it.

A Bit more than I wanted to pay (couldn't get him to include the warranty in that $15k) but yeah.

They're installing an alarm in it now, got the 3 year mech warranty (hopefully transferrable, unlike GroundControl's) and yeah.

Will put pics up in the next few days.

I did pay more than others would've but as springie said, its "worth" is all dependent, and I really do like it and plan on keeping it for well past its warranty.

So for me, it was worth that extra few grand just so I get a car that will last me for along time without the need to constantly "upgrade".

I'm going to have fun adding to the 40,000km on the clock :)

Kenneth
23-03-2006, 05:20 AM
So for me, it was worth that extra few grand just so I get a car that will last me for along time without the need to constantly "upgrade".

I'm going to have fun adding to the 40,000km on the clock :)

Yes, you will have fun... especially if you hang around with us :D

As for no need to upgrade... Thats what I thought too... I was wrong though, It only takes a few months to get used to that power.

lol, now I dont even think about it till I see my passengers getting whiplash in the passenger seat because they are not used to it.

detonate
23-03-2006, 05:29 AM
hhahaha, yeah I know what you mean.

I've had an '89 VR4 sedan, and a cyborg before, however that was awhile ago now, and I haven't had a turbo'd vehicle for about 3 years now..... oh how I'm looking forward to the feeling of boost again.

And a drive back from Wellington to Auckland this weekend will be a good drive :D

Flew down to WLG for a work conference, and found this VR at the Mitsi dealer here (Kirk Motors)

Which is half my problem, as I didn't have time to bargain him down, and he knew this.

ohwell.

Im happy :D

GroundControl
23-03-2006, 05:29 AM
yay det :D

look forward to seeing it when you get back /yes

mpau009
23-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Congratulations:2thumbsup

I hope it turns out to be as good as it sounds. Sounds like your the type of person who will keep it that way.

Looking forward to the pics,
plus you never said what colour? please don't say purple/Nuuu :p ...sorry mauve....

bradc
23-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Detonate, what time are you coming back up? If you think you'll be driving past Pokeno any time during the day on Sunday you should pop past my place to meet us all, there should be 5-7 cars there being worked on, check out http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14924&page=4

I'll pm you my address if you want it.

Sounds like you've got a really great car, I can't wait to see it.

GroundControl
23-03-2006, 08:05 AM
It's a meister blue one, which is currently viewable at http://www.kirkmotors.co.nz/the5thdimension/vehiclelistings.asp?sale_type=&categoryID_list=&manufacturer=Mitsubishi&model=Legnum+VR4&year=&listing_price=&page_size=10&o=vehicles.manufacturer&strKeywords=&boolean=OR

bradc
23-03-2006, 08:15 AM
That one does look very nice indeed, I love that colour!

KiwiTT
23-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Nice Car. It looks as if it has got after-market exhaust too!

detonate
26-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Eep, sorry brad, drove back Sunday evening.
(Drove to Napier to visit a friend and stayed there fri/sat)

Yeap, it's got a stainless exhaust straight through to the manifold (so I'm told)
Haven't inspected it to see how nice it's made, if its got mandrel bends or pressed bends.

Now that url on kirkmoters has gone......

http://gallery.helix.net.nz/view_album.php?set_albumName=VR4-Legnum

bradc
26-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Not a prob - does look nice though.

The Vee
26-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Very nice indeed, like that colour:2thumbsup