PDA

View Full Version : K&N Induction kits

cheese
24-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi, I see these all the time EBay are they any good? Or is worth sticking it out a bit and waiting to buy a HKS one or Apexi one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Galant-Colts-Induction-Adapter-K-N-Filter_W0QQitemZ8050335550QQcategoryZ36680QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Also would this fit a P-reg Leggie

Cheers

john

Nick Mann
24-03-2006, 03:07 PM
It will fit. I do not claim to know about air filters and their pros and cons. I would personally go with a panel filter as I believe that sucking in hot engine bay air means you lose any gain of fitting a high flow filter.

Spirit
24-03-2006, 04:51 PM
I agree with Nick. I have had the HKS on both my VR4's, but it was already fitted on my current one - had it not I would have left the set up as standard and fitted a decent panel filter and save myself a wadge of cash.

However, they do look nice when you are showing the car /pan

cheese
24-03-2006, 05:47 PM
I, too am not an expert, but doesn't the turbo heat up the air, as it passes through it, and wouldn't this be far more than the engine could, hence the intercooler??

Is there a difference between the HKS one and the K&N one, apart from the looks and of course the cost.

Just to double check this will fit a p reg Leggie VR-4, because the EBay advert says Mitsubishi Galant 2.0i 24V V6 93-96. 2.5 V6 97-ON. And my car is registared as dec 95.

Cheers again

John

Nick Mann
24-03-2006, 06:00 PM
The 2.5 V6 has the same air box and maf fitting as the VR4. All 8g's are the same.

cheese
24-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Sweet, thanks Nick

Munta
01-04-2006, 10:22 PM
I, too am not an expert, but doesn't the turbo heat up the air, as it passes through it, and wouldn't this be far more than the engine could, hence the intercooler??

that is the same as i always thought as well.
but then when you think. the colder the air starts at when it comes into the pod... the colder it will end up

Axeboy
01-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Ive found that the panel is quiter than a cone... the cone i used to have on my old vr4 didnt give any gains, but no losses either as far as im aware.

I reckon you should get a panel filter... K&N, BMC etc only about £35.

Im unsure about other mushroom/cone filters too..

however, one system i have my eye on is the ARC box.. hmmm :)

bernmc
03-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Before going for a panel filter, you might want to read this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14349), particularly post 8. Should have a better idea in about 2500 miles...

Smokinmasta2
03-04-2006, 09:47 AM
I think there are some gains higher up the rev range and when moving at speed (as long as you keep a cold air supply direct to filter) but there may some loss lower down the rev range due to heat soak.

Pic of mine - not sure which one it is, the prev owner fitted it (its the second time ive owned this car!!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/Smokinmasta/filter.jpg

cheese
03-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Before going for a panel filter, you might want to read this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14349), particularly post 8. Should have a better idea in about 2500 miles...
Blimey Bern, that sounds bad, thanks for the heads up, I think there is a aftermarket panel in the car at the mo, but I really wanted to get a cone for the noise more than anything, the power gain is usually so small it's not noticiable. Looks like I may have save and get the HKS unit. I don't suppose these come up second hand much.

bernmc
03-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Blimey Bern, that sounds bad, thanks for the heads up, I think there is a aftermarket panel in the car at the mo, but I really wanted to get a cone for the noise more than anything, the power gain is usually so small it's not noticiable. Looks like I may have save and get the HKS unit. I don't suppose these come up second hand much.

If you can, don't do anything just yet - I'm not sure whether the silicates are due to my K&N, or a leak in the intake system. Stupid plonkers, VMTP (thread here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9800)), who did my gearbox didn't put much of the car back together properly, and I found a couple of hose clips missing :|

I'll be sending another oil sample in a couple of thousand miles, and we'll see if replacing the clips has made a difference.

Kenneth
03-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Just a couple of notes really.

First off, the dyno day in NZ showed that the cars putting out the most power all had standard airbox setups. In fact, the cars I saw that had pod filters didnt do well compared to the standard setups.

If you upset the manner in which the air flows through the MAF, you may upset the frequency sent to the ECU and cause fueling issues.

I recall seeing a pod filter from K&N some time back that they claimed was for the mitsi MAF sensors, it was an oval pod. Don't know if they are still around, or if it was just marketing bs.

Anyway, some food for thought if you are going to play with your induction setup.

Ollpen
04-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, to start with i would just like to share my experience in my old -99 Galant 2.0.

Before i put a filter on it i could get it up to 135mph, and when i put a cone in it (A no-name cone, but still a proper cone) the engine sound improved drastically, but to the cost of a new top speed of 115mph.

No heat shields involved, no facts of how good the cone was as it was a noname, but with that cone i lost 20mph top speed and you could fry eggs on the filter after a good ride.

This leads me to wanna go with the panel filter in the standard induction box as it only drags air from the outside of the car.

Does anyone have a panel filter to recommend?
Also, im not a expert in cars so i might have missed anything and everything, but if someone has a different opinion, please let me know why i should get an open air filter before i go buy a panel :)

ghanda
04-04-2006, 11:07 AM
There is an excellent article on the Australian E-Zine called 'eliminating Negative Boost'. Read it.
I've put into practice what I learnt on the Golf and will be doing something similar with the VR:

- Maximise the amount of air you can ram into the Standard Air box.
- Smooth out the inside of the standard air box.
- Replace the filter if you must: A standard filter causes only 3% of the restriction in the first place.
-Replace the plastic pipe from MAF to Turbo.

On the Golf I had one fabricated. The Autospeed article determined that the biggest area of restriction was from MAF to Turbo, followed by external to Air Filter.

Kieran
04-04-2006, 12:02 PM
-Replace the plastic pipe from MAF to Turbo.

Oh yes. I couldn't believe how constricted the pipework to the front turbo was untill I saw it!!/pan

Ollpen
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Oh yes. I couldn't believe how constricted the pipework to the front turbo was untill I saw it!!/pan

And.. The easiest way to replace this one and with what? :oops: /Hijack

valmes
04-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I believe this could work...
http://3s.dejonpowerhouse.com/edit/1-02s_CIP-3SC.jpg

Axeboy
04-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Where might we get one? :p

valmes
04-04-2006, 07:35 PM
http://3s.dejonpowerhouse.com/
try here ;) ... ohh, btw, its not galant/legnum specific, so it might work, but... well, I warned you :)

PS: I just hope they don't see posts on this site, about 3KGT VR-4 not being a "TRUE" VR-4. Even for my taste, that was kinda "too much"... :thinking: imho

Axeboy
08-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Im gonna have a look at these pipes today and see what can be done..

Axeboy
08-04-2006, 05:48 PM
http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/3212/10001812af.jpg

Ok, where are the restrictions here?

I see the t-piece coming from the MAF then flexi pipes running to each turbo...

However, the T and the forward turbo pipe have 6mm tubing running to them, sensors etc i have no idea.

These 6mm pipes make things more complicated imo.. hmmm :inquisiti

Kenneth
08-04-2006, 11:03 PM
The main restriction seems to be the pipes that go to the turbos. check them out, you will see the front one gets squished!

Axeboy
08-04-2006, 11:11 PM
I think i seen it... ill have another look when i fit my arc box in a week or so.

I might get something fabricated if its not too difficult.

Kieran
09-04-2006, 02:14 PM
I think i seen it... ill have another look when i fit my arc box in a week or so..

I will be very interested to hear how much difference this makes Scott - keep us posted. :happy: