PDA

View Full Version : Facelift Chassis Number

The Skum
26-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a Mitsubishi Galant VR-4.
I'm looking for a facelift car and have a possibility at the moment.
However i'm just not sure if it is a facelift or not.

The easy way of finding out of course is visual identification.
However i know that the front bumper isn't original and has been replaced by a facelift bumper.
Secondly the car has aftermarket rear lights. So that can't be a clue.

The chassis code is E-EC5A SNGF
VIN: EC5A-0100XXX

I'm pretty sure that the '01' start in the VIN number means that it is in fact the facelift version as this seems to be the 'skip' in continuity of the numbers.

I know it's a little pedantic but how else could i know?
I want the facelift version (mainly to verify it is newer and to throw some Brembo's in it at a later stage)

And information would be most helpful on this subject.

Nick Mann
26-03-2006, 04:59 PM
It's not just the lights that are different on the rear of the facelift. The whole tailgate is a different shape.

Spirit
26-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Not on the Galant Nick, and its EC5A so definately a saloon.

Will hunt down the chassis number

Nick Mann
26-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Not on the Galant Nick, and its EC5A so definately a saloon.

Will hunt down the chassis number

/duh

Sorry! Thought we were talking about a proper VR4!! :scholar:

Also, the Brembo spacing on the caliper - measure the bolt spacing on the front between the two bolts on the hub carrier / caliper interface. You can measure it with the wheels on full lock. IIRC the spacing on the facelift is 165mm, but a search on the site or a friendly post from someone who remembers would confirm.

Jimbo
26-03-2006, 07:30 PM
The chassis code is E-EC5A SNGF
VIN: EC5A-0100XXX

I could be wrong, but I'd still be very surprised if a chassis number that low is a facelift. Both the facelift saloons I've owned (99-V and 00-X) have been in the EC5A-0300 series.

bradc
26-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Mine is EC5W-0200 and is a very early facelift. I'm sure your car will be a pre-facelift.

Is it a manual or an auto? If it is auto does it have a silver shiney surround around the gear lever, or matt black? Does it have wheel arches, and lastly does it have a momo wheel or recaro seats?

The Skum
26-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Okay,

The car is manual with AYC.
It doesn't have the side flares on it. However, i'm not sure that was a mandatory piece of kit for the facelifts.

The interior is leather and doesn't help.

It DOES however have the upgraded mag wheels (The twin forked, five spoked wheels) which are similar/same to the EVO 5 mags.

I remember that their was a certain 'bastardised' EVO 4 of late '97 - early '98 which got the brembo brakes, newer wheels and other EVO5 parts. A 'run-out' model if you will.

This leads me to believe if the 'Type 01' was the first of the EC5X revisions and a mix of older and newer bits. Either a runout or first facelift iteration.

That '01' is definitely not representative of the numbers of cars made.
The reason is Legnum VR4's outsold galants by a large factor (Perhaps 10 to 1) The reason for this is that i can hardly find EC5A's with the last 4 digits above 4000 whilst i have seen legnums above 30000 before the '01' prefix came about.

Oh dear, decyphering the intentions of japanese car companies with respect to model designations seems to be an exercise in futility....

Nick Mann
26-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Looks like the only way may be to measure the caliper bolt spacing.

The manual / AYC combination is something I have not seen in facelift guise, but that does not mean it is not possible.

Kieran
27-03-2006, 12:19 AM
I thought the facelift chassis number was prefixed with 'GF'.. ie: 'GF-EC5x-xxxxxxx' whereas the Pre-facelift was 'E-EC5x-xxxxxxx'?:inquisiti

Springie
27-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Had a look on the net and it says

produced from 1998 - August - EC5A
produced from 2000 - May - EC5A

E prefix 1996 - 1998
GF prefix 1998 - 2001
GH prefix 2002

Not sure if any that helps? you need to find out the prefix on it, if its E its got to be a pre-facelift, and GF i assume will be the facelift and GH .... buggared if i know.

The Skum
27-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm not convinced either way on what it is.

I think i'll just call it 'special' and 'unique'

It matches my criteria for what i'm looking for so i've put the deposit down anyway.

Now, which way do i go to sign up for this club?
:evilgrin:

WildCards
27-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Now, which way do i go to sign up for this club?
:evilgrin:

This (http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=Join) way my man, money well spent, as you'll soon find out.