PDA

View Full Version : strange grinding noise 1.5 - 2k revs.

Bal
26-03-2006, 03:55 PM
after spending all weekend crusing around birmingham (iv finally found the tamebrdige estate which is probably where im gonna buy a house) my car has started to make a strange noise.

i just noticed it when i got to my sisters house in northampton. basically when in neutral if i rev the car i get a strange grinding noise between 1.5k - 2k revs.

it's coming from the front right hand side of the engine bay if you are facing it front left if sat in the car.

there is no loss of power or anything so, after discussion with pezz, could simply be something loose and ratling. anyone else got any thoughts or heard anything similiar.

Wodjno
26-03-2006, 04:51 PM
after spending all weekend crusing around birmingham (iv finally found the tamebrdige estate which is probably where im gonna buy a house) my car has started to make a strange noise.

i just noticed it when i got to my sisters house in northampton. basically when in neutral if i rev the car i get a strange grinding noise between 1.5k - 2k revs.

it's coming from the front right hand side of the engine bay if you are facing it front left if sat in the car.

there is no loss of power or anything so, after discussion with pezz, could simply be something loose and ratling. anyone else got any thoughts or heard anything similiar.

Could be one of your pulleys on the way out, or Water Pump. :thinking:

Bal
26-03-2006, 04:52 PM
no no no ... :( i'll see what the boys say down the garage.

Nick Mann
26-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Could be one of your pulleys on the way out, or Water Pump. :thinking:

Rubbish. They're on the other side!

Wodjno
26-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Rubbish. They're on the other side!

Don't hold Back Nick..(Master of Tact) :thinking: Say what you mean :speechles

Didn't read all of the sentence.. Yup there on the otherside.. :2thumbsup

Nick Mann
26-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Don't hold Back Nick..(Master of Tact) :thinking: Say what you mean :speechles

Didn't read all of the sentence.. Yup there on the otherside.. :2thumbsup

Sorry WODJ! /pan :iloveyou:

That side of the engine bay is the gearbox. Difficult to try and diagnose the problem from a description of a noise though.

DUNLY
26-03-2006, 05:13 PM
small heatshield?? only got the gls but mines is rattling away at the same rev range.

Bal
26-03-2006, 09:07 PM
feck i thought it was the gearbox. i check the atf fluids and what i saw did not please me.

basically the dip stick has a coating of red fluid on it but not like a solid bit of fluid as i was expecting. i suspect either the ATF fluid is leaking or the mitsi guys might not have sorted it when they serviced the car.

am i right in thinking when you check the ATF fluid the dip stick should have red fluid up on teh hot area of the dip stick? is there a pic of what it should look like to confirm what i think it should be.

noobie quiestions but remember i aint mechanically minded.

Bal
26-03-2006, 09:16 PM
on another note. the sound is like what my power steering sounded like on the gls when there was air pockets in teh pipes. it's defo coming from teh battery side of the car and my first thought was gearbox fluids possibly air pockets.

if someone can post me a pic of what the atf dipstick should look like ona good day that would be good. tomorrow im taking the car into work to get those nice mechanics to have a quick look, check fluids and possibly do a full flush.

richy rich
26-03-2006, 09:29 PM
hi bal

the atf should be red this is normal

the sound you describe does it get loader with a bit of rev's

if so it could be some thing catching on the fly wheel / tc IE starter motor etc

sorry if this doesn't make sense (wine:5shots: :5shots:)

Bal
26-03-2006, 09:47 PM
the red im expecting but you know when you check engine oil you get solid layer of oil with the atf should you get the same or is the whole bit just covered in red stuff ... very thin layer.

Wodjno
26-03-2006, 10:02 PM
hi bal

the atf should be red this is normal

the sound you describe does it get loader with a bit of rev's

if so it could be some thing catching on the fly wheel / tc IE starter motor etc

sorry if this doesn't make sense (wine:5shots: :5shots:)

/pan NICK/pan

richy rich
26-03-2006, 10:04 PM
OK when checking atf go for a drive 10/15min get it hot

park on level ground go thou the gears put hand brake on and put in to N

check atf this is not always easy some times you need to do it a few times

the atf should be between cold and hot (ideally top of hot)

richy rich
26-03-2006, 10:07 PM
/pan NICK/pan
W Wtf is this

or is it because I'm :5shots: :5shots: :5shots: :5shots: :5shots:

Bal
27-03-2006, 09:06 AM
well the cars with the mechanics, they are going to take a look when they have a chance. the head dude was a bit suprised when i mentioned the oil so they are going to take a look

Jimbo
27-03-2006, 12:39 PM
the red im expecting but you know when you check engine oil you get solid layer of oil with the atf should you get the same or is the whole bit just covered in red stuff ... very thin layer.

Bal, don't forget that ATF appears a lot thinner than engine oil, especially when it's warmed up. What you have sounds perfectly normal to me.

richy rich
27-03-2006, 10:23 PM

bal is this y your say your gear box is broken (other thread gear box bearing)
if so don't change your box.

if it was your gearbox then it would make this noise in gear not in N

i suspect it is some thing simple as a loose starter motor or some thing catching on the tc.

i had a bad noise off jimbos car after having his box out and back in,

all it was was the plate between engine and gear box got slightly bent and was catching on the tc.

Bal
27-03-2006, 10:28 PM
it's not a rattle it's a groan, lol i might make a recording for you all.

i'll get a second opionion. im cautions becuase my old clio had a whistling sound before the gearbox went. everyone said it wasnt the gearbox but in the end it shreaded itself. so i dont want to risk more damage than already caused.

it's coming from the gearbox side of the car ... nothing looks like it's moving and they did go underneath the car and check it out.

richy rich
27-03-2006, 10:33 PM
OK so you are getting a groan at 1500/2000 rpm in N is this right

what does it do at the same revs in gear.

Bal
27-03-2006, 11:18 PM
in 1st it does it but not the rest of the gears.

richy rich
27-03-2006, 11:31 PM
ok then it may be the box

Bal
28-03-2006, 09:44 AM
see when in neutral does the box engage a fly gear. one it turns but doesnt engage the rest of the gears?

need to do something but when i have amoment a phone call to mo about price for secondhand box.

but a mate suggested why not replace the gears in the box with 1/4 mile biased ratio gears. anyone got any suggestions, thoughts comments?

Bal
30-03-2006, 03:50 PM
mo i've pmd and message and emialed but no reply. let me know about a replacement box.

everyone else cheers for the feedback, cars going into mitsi on wed and im hopefully getting a fast car as a courtesy :)

Bal
06-04-2006, 10:55 AM
well it's gone in and as areplacement i have a lovely mazda 2 lol. now i sit back and wait for the damage assesment.

pezza
06-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Good luck geeez ... I shud be able to hear you yell from harrow if its bad! :scholar: