PDA

View Full Version : AYC removal???

ritch_w
27-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Can the AYC be removed from a type-S? to either reduce weight / or if its knackered? :book:

pezza
27-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Hmm what are you up to now Ritch? :inquisiti What are you thinking or what have you found? :thinking:

I would think only the pump could be removed, I am not about how the rear diff operates in these circumstances. I wonder if the diff is actually vey different to the type V one? Maybe most of the AYC pipewaork pump, tank/reservoir could be removed.. and type V diff (if possible) used? Also I could'nt tell you how much weight it would save either

I did not push my car to any limits when my AYC system was down .... I wouldn't know if it handles very similarly (with TCL off also) as a type V in those circumstances.

Interesting question!

Nick Mann
27-03-2006, 09:39 AM
The Evo lads get rid and go LSD if they want to remove it. It means a new rear axle, I think, but who knows if it is possible to do on the VR4? I imagine you would need to find a type V and swap the parts.

ritch_w
27-03-2006, 09:51 AM
mmmm ok

if AYC is knackered is there going to be any further issues to the drive train by not fixing it?

Nick Mann
27-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I have no idea!

Which bit is knackered?

Wouter
27-03-2006, 10:33 AM
If the pump is knackered, and you don't want to fix it, you can take the fuse out, this will deactivate the pump. That will stop it whining.... I personally would leave all the oils in place.

Jimbo
27-03-2006, 12:41 PM
If the pump is knackered, and you don't want to fix it, you can take the fuse out, this will deactivate the pump. That will stop it whining.... I personally would leave all the oils in place.

Yep this works, but the downside is that it also disables the ABS (same fuse).

Wouter
27-03-2006, 01:27 PM

Doh!!

I forgot about that! /pan

Who needs ABS anyway!! LOL

Nick Mann
27-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Could you pull the AYC relay? Never tried that. I'm sure I remember someone saying that it was a good way to go drifting?!!

pezza
27-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Could you pull the AYC relay? Never tried that. I'm sure I remember someone saying that it was a good way to go drifting?!!

Yup I think that could be one of the barmy berkshire brigade bonsai...

There is a relay for the ayc pump.... but if you wanted to get rid of the AYC system completely you could potentially remove all the gubbins no? I am not sure if the wieght saving is significant enough to warrant it tho? Would dread to think how much LSD from a V would be.. /help

ritch_w
27-03-2006, 04:25 PM
basically after what i will refer to as "the mothers day incident" and my dad getting stuck in the passenger seat on saturday (which was hilarious!!!), the FTO is not working out :(

so I was thinking aboot Slyders car as possibly being something more practical, providing the AYC could be done away with rather than repairing - as it it already the wrong side of my potential budget limit......

anyone want an FTO?

WildCards
27-03-2006, 04:35 PM
anyone want an FTO?

A bag of cheese and onion crisps and half a cup of cold black coffee, 1 sugar?

ritch_w
27-03-2006, 04:37 PM
A bag of cheese and onion crisps and half a cup of cold black coffee, 1 sugar?

warm the coffee up and we are dealling ;)

not/pan

lol

WildCards
27-03-2006, 04:40 PM
hehe /pan

bradc
27-03-2006, 08:22 PM
ritch - I assume you're looking at the one that is for sale on here with the dead ayc?

The Type V's come with an LSD diff on the rear, and I beleive that if you disabled the AYC on an AYC diff the diff would default to a completely open mode, and the car would handle worse than an LSD equipped car.

Louis
27-03-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can change the diff and do away with the AYC, I have seen a few EVO's which have cusco lsd's in place of standard AYC, (part of this is that you don't have to go to Mitsy to get the ayc fluid changed every 4500miles). I believe that our running gear is the same (or similar) to EVO 4, 5, or 6?, if I remember right the cusco diff was about £600, I will go and check my details and repost with info, cheers Louis

Louis
27-03-2006, 10:37 PM
OK, I don't know where I got the 600 figure from(I'm sure I saw it in a mag somewhere). best bet is try a search on the MLR, they have a few folk messing around with ayc's and such.

Kieran
27-03-2006, 11:59 PM
basically after what i will refer to as "the mothers day incident" and my dad getting stuck in the passenger seat on saturday (which was hilarious!!!), the FTO is not working out :(

Oooh eck! What happened? must be something quite fundamental for you to change your mind like that?

Spirit
28-03-2006, 12:10 AM

IIRC they are different fuses, nos 16 and 17 ?

Certainly don't remember losing my ayc when I pulled the fuse on my abs in Germany

Dream Weaver
28-03-2006, 04:57 PM
RS versions of Evos don't have AYC from the factory.