PDA

View Full Version : Tints on a Legnum ?

detonate
27-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Any of you had NZ Legal tints fitted to the front sides and rear windscreen?

How does it look next to the 5% that the Leggys come in with on the rear sides?

I can't imagine it looks any worse than having nothing on the front, but yeah, just wondering if it comes out as noticebly different and ugly ?

Had a chat to the guys at Tint-a-Car in Grey Lynn, they're apparently doing it to a VR4 Legnum this morning, and are going to give me a call after its done so I can go have a look at it.

Springie
27-03-2006, 11:36 PM
It's all good, the back tints help darken the front ones, ill post a pic up soon

Springie
27-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Crap pic as its not sunny, but you should get the idea
Click me! (http://fileserver.dscomputing.co.nz/uploads/legone.jpg)

detonate
28-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Cool, yeah that looks better than having nothing on the fronts.

Saw the one they had just done and had a chat to the dude there, will probably pay them another visit next pay day :)

marmel31
28-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Just to let you guys know I have a set of tinited fronts on the car I am dismantling, they are tinted the same as the rears and look quite good. I would sell them pretty cheap to any members ($70 for set) but I think if they had to be shipped that would be too expensive.

detonate
28-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Just to let you guys know I have a set of tinited fronts on the car I am dismantling, they are tinted the same as the rears and look quite good. I would sell them pretty cheap to any members ($70 for set) but I think if they had to be shipped that would be too expensive.

Hrmm.... keen, /me bags's

Robotnik123
28-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but the 50% tints which are stock on the back windows of our Legnums: are those things actually legal? They came with the car from the factory of course, does that make a difference?

marmel31
28-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Are they definately 50%. I think station wagons are in the same class as cars so wouldn't be able to be tinted more than 35%. There are obviously heaps of legnums in the country though with factory tints so they must be OK.

detonate
28-03-2006, 03:01 AM
I was under the impression that the percentage was based on how much light they let through.

ie. 5% is darker than 35%.

AFAIK in NZ 35% is the darkest you're allowed to go allround on a light vehicle, without getting your courier licence or ripping your back seats out.

In regards to if its legal to have darker than 35% on your car if it came out standard like that, I have no idea.

I managed to get away with warrants on my '89 VR4 sedan, which had mirror tints on it, by just saying "it came into the country like that"
But then that was also a fair few years ago now, so who knows.

Robotnik123
28-03-2006, 03:23 AM
Are they definately 50%. I think station wagons are in the same class as cars so wouldn't be able to be tinted more than 35%. There are obviously heaps of legnums in the country though with factory tints so they must be OK.

Yeah, I am pretty sure they are on my '99. Will check again tonight, but as I recall they had a 50% mark and definitely looked factory.

bradc
28-03-2006, 03:27 AM
I'm with detonate, I thought 5% was as dark as possible, and that the stock rear tints were somewhere around the 5-10% mark.

35% is definately the limit for the front ones.

Springie
28-03-2006, 07:44 AM
For a car 35% VLT all round except windscreen. Windscreen can have tint or vinyl strip up to 100mm thick or you can sometimes get away with it as low as the sunvisors wehn pushed right up to the windscreen.

On a 4x4 SUV they are registered different as such can have anything on the back e.g 5%

A commerical vehicle is similar and if you can prove its got tools etc. you can have what ever you like.

You can get 2.5%, 5%, 20%, 25%, 35% and 75& i think, but 5,20,35 are most common.

Legnums are 100% legal as it is factory. And vehicle with factory smoked glass is legal. Even though mirror tints are a nono some suvs have em and as such they are legal.

If you do the front of the legnum, they should be 35% and no darker, but in saying that you may get away with darker as it will match.

At a guess rear legnum windows are at least 20% but definatly no more than 5%.

bradc
28-03-2006, 08:44 AM
My car has 35% tints put on the front windows as well as the very slight tinting on the front windows.

Do you think our cars could count as a 4x4 SUV? they are 4wd, and a wagon shape. That way I could tint my rear windows even darker, which is very handy for some of the stuff I carry

Springie
28-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Nope its all to do with what class its registered under, you would have to register it as the same class as a SUV, which is different costs and insurance.
I think also you'd have to explain the change but i could be wrong.

In all honesty id say you'd get away with it, just overlay some tint on the already tinted windows, and hopefully they will assume its just the factory tint.
Worse comes to worse you'll have to peel em off.

Some places don't care about the back windows even though legally they should, just use some cheap repco stuff and see if you get through, should be good enough just to darken them more.

Munta
19-04-2006, 07:48 AM
i knw this thred is abit old... but had a cop try to say my tints was to dark the other night at a check point thing... he got the lil tint % measuring tool thing out and leggy tints measure at 19% i told him they was factory but he didnt believe me or listen to me untill another cop came over and backed me up and agreed with me that they were indeed factory...
stupid cops need to learn there cars b4 trying to fine ppl lol

bradc
19-04-2006, 07:54 AM
thats quite funny, I think that out of all cars Legnums are probably the one car that almost always ships with that level of tint. I still might get mine done a little bit darker though and just hope that I get away with it.

mpau009
19-04-2006, 11:27 AM
i told him they was factory but he didnt believe me or listen

/pan If only it was the cops... both my cars, get my warrants at On Road NZ at westgate, every six months, out with the tester, lots of confused looks :inquisiti and discussing... even once i tell them, they still look like a pair of f*n idiots. :rolleyes3 Even though they must go through heaps of legnums every day.
Combine that with the cert for my old adjustables, and id be lucky to get away with an hour for a warrant.

bradc
19-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Both of my Legnums were first warranted at vtnz in manukau by buy right cars, after that I've taken them to mitsi who obviously know what to expect with Legnums, and Pitstop who I doubt really care that much about tinted windows anyway :)

OSiRiS
20-04-2006, 03:32 AM
i knw this thred is abit old... but had a cop try to say my tints was to dark the other night at a check point thing... he got the lil tint % measuring tool thing out and leggy tints measure at 19% i told him they was factory but he didnt believe me or listen to me untill another cop came over and backed me up and agreed with me that they were indeed factory...
stupid cops need to learn there cars b4 trying to fine ppl lol

OK just for the record the Legnum does come with 20% tints on the back windows STANDARD.

When I got my car impounded it got green stickered -which means I have to get another WOF but only through VTNZ. They failed me on the tints originally saying they are 20% on their machine. I explained they were factory tinted and they let it pass.

They are 20% standard.

jervis
20-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Yup. Osiris is right. I just got 35% on my front windows, which seemed to blend quite well with the rears, so got the ol' visible light meter on the back to check it out, and yup. 20%

The person who did my tints said she had seen a few legnums with factory 5% on the back, but the majority are 20%

detonate
21-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Ahh, true, 20% sounds about right.

All you need to do if anyone whinges, is just wind down the back windows and go "look, see that? there isn't a gap between the tint and the edge of the window, that is because it's not stick on tint, the GLASS ITSELF is tinted as it's factory standard!"

OSiRiS
23-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Ahh, true, 20% sounds about right.

All you need to do if anyone whinges, is just wind down the back windows and go "look, see that? there isn't a gap between the tint and the edge of the window, that is because it's not stick on tint, the GLASS ITSELF is tinted as it's factory standard!"

That's exactly what I do every time :)