PDA

View Full Version : Pod last minute nerves, best way to launch without looking a..

Brind
06-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Anyone got any tips for decent launches? higher revs and go.

You wait for the green light then go, simple but..
What happens if you go to soon and keep going without noticing apart from the crowd pointing and laughing? :D

If you don't pull away all that quick when the green light lights but you give it some still and the car performs well, does the time taken for you to actually start get deducted from the 1/4 mile time?
So if the car can do a 14 second run but it took you 2 seconds to actually put your foot down, would you still get a 14 second run..

Spirit
06-10-2003, 11:46 PM
I think not mate - I am sure they time you from when the lights go green, as they also measure reaction times.

I have tried revs and no revs launches and I think I will be sticking to no revs

Brind
06-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Oh okay..

Be prepared to see my great 30second 1/4 mile run then! as I can picture me seeing the green light then think errrrr so dat peddle means go. :o :D

Japmetal
06-10-2003, 11:54 PM
I dont think they include your reaction time in your 1/4 run, although I do think you get an 'overall' run time too [not terribly sure on this point]

So far as I can make out from all the yanks talking about it, they measure reaction time, 1/4 time & trap speed as well as elapsed [overall] time, using reaction time in the case of a tie on 1/4 mile times

I think the worst that can happen with a slow reaction time is that you might be second across the line to something embarrassingly slow :o

Brind
06-10-2003, 11:59 PM
Well if no one notices, I'm not gonna show my reaction time! :D

Shouldn't be all that bad but I've never done it before, mind you 3 trys will perfect the run I'm sure.

Spirit
07-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Reckon it's new to most/all of us mate - I for one am not really going to worry about it - just want to have a good day out and enjoy the experience - and get some great video action of course :D

Japmetal
07-10-2003, 12:30 AM
If you've never done it before [and neither have I !] then think of it like this;

You might be making a total c**k of yourself messing up your start, but how many of those 'pointing and laughing' in the audience are gonna get down there & have a go ? :)

have fun & just get yourself a benchmark for where your skills are at right now, then later on after some practice start worrying about your times :D

Brind
07-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Oh yeah, it's gonna be a laugh whatever happens.

But I'm a deep thinker and always want to learn every detail.

Nick VR4
07-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Move forward to the staging lights, when the cars front wheel is in line with the infra-red beam, the staging lights turn to white, you are now ready to race, the lights go to amber then green. You go on the green, ;) which is operated by race control. INSERT INTO post VALUES (If you jump the lights you run time is not counted).

Spirit
07-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Just found out this from my bro who went to Pod last weekend.

1: The qtr mile time is measured from when your car moves not from when the lights go green INSERT INTO post VALUES (but they do measure reaction times too) - I reckon for the Cup to be won we must include reaction times too ?

2: He did 3 runs on Sunday and was in the queue for 6 hours ! :Cry1:

3: Try to run with as little fuel as possible INSERT INTO post VALUES (weight issue)

BraindG
07-10-2003, 07:28 PM
best to do your own race imho.. dont go by the lights.. you end up racing the guy next to you.. wait till he goes, then concentrate.. and about 2-4 seconds later go yourself..

at first TOTB they all jsut about did it.. also at TOTBII a few did it..

imo go by time not reaction time.. you might end up loosing more time if you try to
a: get off the second the light changes,
b: end up racing guy next to you and screw up.. but then again, this might only apply to the manual guys..

Brind
07-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks for info guys.

May the best man win or cheater!:)

Petrolhead
10-10-2003, 02:04 AM
Oh, that's a good point about the staging lights.

So, in order not to appear like a totaly virgin, here's how it works...

There are two sets of white staging lights each. When you reach the start line, the top set of white lights will come on. You must then creep forward a few inches till the second set of white lights come. You are now in the correct place to start racing.

If you go too far forward then the top set of white lights will go off, and you'll need to reverse a little till they come back on again. That's the embarrasing part, so try not to go too far forward, plus, it kind of flusters you a bit and end up screwing up your start.

Another top tip is, don't wait for green to illuminate. Trust me, when you see the amber lights come on just floor it. They are only on for a fraction of a second so by the time you've hit the gas they will be at green ;)

Good luck, see you at the finish line :D

Dave.

Brind
10-10-2003, 02:28 AM
Thanks for that!! :)

Spirit
10-10-2003, 07:08 AM
Top info Dave, you having a go too then ?

Pete