PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Box Dribbles

bernmc
29-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Noticed a bit of ATF on my transfer box when I was scurying about under the car, getting it ready for MOT last week. Xtreme said they had to top it up a bit at the last service as well.

I remember Rich mentioning that you don't need to remove the whole gearbox bangshoot to sort out transfer box seals - is that true? How much work is it to get the thing out?

I'm going to try a bit of Wirdy's 'oyltite' stick when I get a chance, and see if this helps. It's not a big leak... at the moment :o

Nick Mann
29-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Can you tell where it is dribbling from? There is the driveshaft seal, the propshaft seal and an o ring between the transfer box and gearbox IIRC. Is it ATF or gear oil that is leaking?

richy rich
29-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Bern if it is the tc seal then sorry the box needs to come out.

about a 10/12hour job for two on the drive/ garage

at mitsy with a fully equipped garage they say its a 7 hour job

but if it is coming from t/box there is a couple of things to look at drive shaft seal this is not to bad drive shaft out change seal back in again. about 2 hours

there is all so a small o ring in the t/box , this seal is the one that seals the hole that the atf goes from g/box to t/box this will be remove d/shaft and t/box replace the o ring the put back together. about 3 hours

nick beat me to it, and the prop seal is on the gear side.

bernmc
29-03-2006, 10:55 PM
had a tc seal a few months ago, so hopefully it's not that. I'll have a closer look when I have daylight time off...

elnevio
27-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Thread From The Dead alert!!

I have had a tiny transfer box leak since I got the Leggie. No more than a couple of drips every few days though. I think it has got slightly worse in the time I've had it, but not much. Put it this way, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Europe and back with the tiny leak as it is at present!

It is definitely (well, I'm 99% sure anyway!) gear oil. When I had all the diff oils changed last year, the garage pointed out that the transfer box oil level was a little low before they drained the old oil out.

What's the most likely cause - propshaft seal?

Nick Mann
27-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Could be. Or the O ring to the gearbox? Or the breather on the top of the box? Or the drain/fill washers?

I guess the best thing is to get the car in the air and have a good look round it.