PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Regulator -how the f do you install one?

OSiRiS
30-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Fuel Pressure Regulator -how the f do you install one?

Well?

Anyone know?

Step by step? Any hints? Anyone done it before?

Pics on a 6A13TT engine?

Please?

Thanks in advance :)
OSiRiS

Axeboy
30-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Me 2!

OSiRiS
30-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Andre?

Who else has done one?

Thanks,
OSiRiS

Wouter
30-03-2006, 04:31 PM
If you can wait three weeks, I'll fit mine and do a step-by-step for you!

SGHOM
30-03-2006, 05:45 PM
If you can wait three weeks, I'll fit mine and do a step-by-step for you!
but your's is a 1/24 scale model !! not quite the same. /pan /pan

bradc
30-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I beleive the stock on is on the front part of the fuel rail as the fuel line come into the engine if that helps you, I'm not sure exactly what you're supposed to do with it though :)

The Vee
30-03-2006, 09:12 PM
The stock one is on the front rail, and the feed comes to the rear rail. in this way pressure is maintained in the rails, behind the fpr. Then excess fuel passes the fpr and returns

OSiRiS
30-03-2006, 09:16 PM
bradc do you have a standard FPR in your pile of motor bits?

Apparently I need to get the standard one, unbolt it from the engine, hack it all up and use the flange and weld a fitting on which will goto my new FPR...

OSiRiS
30-03-2006, 09:50 PM
This is from someone who's done it before...

i take it you have a 6A13TT to do it to, well on the opposite end to the factory f.p.r there is a loop that attaches both rails together, i went to a wreckers and bought a loop and cut it so it was just one open ended pipe and when you take the factory f.p.r off ya replace it with the new piece of pipe and run a hose to the f.p.r which i mounted near the strut brace. where i could see the gauge. be careful when removing the rail tho, i'd undo it from the hose first just incase there is still pressure in there.

Ok ummm bradc, what are you doing with that engine you got in your shed?

Kenneth
30-03-2006, 10:19 PM
If you have $30-$40 it may just be easier to buy the fitting kit.

bradc
30-03-2006, 11:03 PM
I have the rail and the fpr if you want it

amsoil
30-03-2006, 11:07 PM
This is general not just for VR4s. There are 3 types First is non adjustable and uses a spring and ball valve , the second type is adjustable with a diaphram and the 3 rd type is diaphram with a vacuum take off to automaticaly adjust pressure (it may also be manually adjustable when static) All pressure regulators should be at one end of the fuel rail, preferably the fuel comes in the other end. Fuel above the regulated pressure is returned to either an internal or external 'sump' tank. If the treads on the aftermarket unit dont match contact think automotice who will nodoubt be able to supply an adaptor.

amsoil
30-03-2006, 11:08 PM
oops

OSiRiS
30-03-2006, 11:20 PM
If you have $30-$40 it may just be easier to buy the fitting kit.

Where do you get that from?

OSiRiS
30-03-2006, 11:23 PM
I have the rail and the fpr if you want it

Hey brad as originally stated here:

well on the opposite end to the factory f.p.r there is a loop that attaches both rails together, i went to a wreckers and bought a loop and cut it so it was just one open ended pipe and when you take the factory f.p.r off ya replace it with the new piece of pipe and run a hose to the f.p.r which i mounted near the strut brace.

Just need that bit that connects the two fuel rails together...

What's the damage and how quickly can I get it?

Thanks,
OSiRiS

Kenneth
30-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Which brand FPR do you have? for sard: http://www.japaneseperformance.co.nz/sard-regulator-adaptor-p-3766.html

OSiRiS
30-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Nice. I got a SARD.

**** they're in Wellington grrr.

Thanks Kenneth ;)

Kenneth
30-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Nice. I got a SARD.

**** they're in Wellington grrr.

Thanks Kenneth ;)

Not a problem. You might be able to ask around, could always get them to ship over-night and do sat delivery... depends on how much of a hurry you are in!

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 12:01 AM
I'd like to go the way that QIKWGN did. As he's already been there before and that seems like the cheapest and ensured to work.

brad -can I get that fuel rail connectory thingy today? Please? :D

Car going on the dyno tomorrow morning! :0

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Car going on the dyno tomorrow morning! :0

When you going to turn up? sorely tempted to turn up tomorrow... Am breaking 10 pounds at 2500RPM with the new exaust :D

Er, sorry for thread hijack.... but I reckon you got the info you need now :)

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Don't mind a good jacking every now and then so it's all good ;) haha.

Ummm it starts at 9am. First in first served and since I missed out on the dyno day because I went to get my bonnet, I wanna get some sheets up :P

Don't know if I should bother getting the regulator on there now, will it make a difference :|

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Don't mind a good jacking every now and then so it's all good ;) haha.

Ummm it starts at 9am. First in first served and since I missed out on the dyno day because I went to get my bonnet, I wanna get some sheets up :P

Don't know if I should bother getting the regulator on there now, will it make a difference :|

If you get it setup right, it may do... depends on how good your fuel control is already really.
If you set it up wrong, best case you will run ritch, worst is you lean out and boom.

If I do turn up, ill probably turn up early (bout 8:30 or something) to see if I can get it out the way asap

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 12:16 AM
If you set it up wrong, best case you will run ritch, worst is you lean out and boom.

If I do turn up, ill probably turn up early (bout 8:30 or something) to see if I can get it out the way asap

Yea I'm aiming for the "rather run rich" than the "run lean and boom" scenario :inquisiti

I'll try get there early too :)

You North or South Auckland?

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Yea I'm aiming for the "rather run rich" than the "run lean and boom" scenario :inquisiti

I'll try get there early too :)

You North or South Auckland?

North Shore. Birkenhead to be more precise :)
The probability of me turning up is increasing the more I think about it :P

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Oh ok I'll have to meet you there then.

Do it do it do it!

I'm definately going to do it.

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Oh ok I'll have to meet you there then.

Do it do it do it!

I'm definately going to do it.

Ok dude, ill try to get there tomorrow. :) As I said, will be about 8:30am

mpau009
31-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Ok dude, ill try to get there tomorrow. :) As I said, will be about 8:30am

....Need Videos....:2thumbsup /Banana and pictures.

Maybe you could hassle them about the PDF's from last time as well.... (i assume you'll be going to torque performance again?) i might drop round as well, its only 10 minutes from my place.

Also, to get in first, I'll predict 185WKw.

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 12:49 AM
....Need Videos....:2thumbsup /Banana and pictures.

Maybe you could hassle them about the PDF's from last time as well.... (i assume you'll be going to torque performance again?) i might drop round as well, its only 10 minutes from my place.

Also, to get in first, I'll predict 185WKw.

Apparently Robin is sending them to Brad now.

lol, I am not willing to even guess at what the car puts out. Still only running stock boost control :)

But yeah, deffinatly need video! I want to see what that exaust sounds like outside the car too :)

Kieran
31-03-2006, 12:53 AM
There are fuel rail adaptors on Ebay for Mitsus at times. Seen them recently. Could also be worth having a word with Nick Mann. He has a Vacuum/boost actuated FPR, and it's remote from the fuel rail! I'm sure it was when we were re-assembling his car!

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Yup I'll have pics and vids as usual ;)

Kenneth, willing to put something down, just between me and you, who'll put out more power? ;) ;) ;)

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Yup I'll have pics and vids as usual ;)

Kenneth, willing to put something down, just between me and you, who'll put out more power? ;) ;) ;)

Just answer a couple of questions and I will think about it ;)

What mods you got and have you done your plugs yet? :p

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Just answer a couple of questions and I will think about it ;)

What mods you got and have you done your plugs yet? :p

Whahaha :P

It'll just be between me and you. A pre-facelift vs. post-facelift battle ;)

Hehe. Nah, all fun and games matey.

All my mods have been disclosed in my car gallery. I got nothing to hide :)

And no, I still haven't done my plugs. And yes, car still cuts at 100% throttle. Which leads me to my next question, on the dyno, do they put the pedal flat out to the floor? Or slowly increase it? Or hold it at 50% throttle etc. etc.?

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Whahaha :P

It'll just be between me and you. A pre-facelift vs. post-facelift battle ;)

Hehe. Nah, all fun and games matey.

All my mods have been disclosed in my car gallery. I got nothing to hide :)

And no, I still haven't done my plugs. And yes, car still cuts at 100% throttle. Which leads me to my next question, on the dyno, do they put the pedal flat out to the floor? Or slowly increase it? Or hold it at 50% throttle etc. etc.?

I think they flatten it. :)

Ok, hows about a tenner then? :P just for kicks.

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 02:30 AM
I think they flatten it. :)

Ok, hows about a tenner then? :P just for kicks.

Ohhher if they flatten it I'll have problems for sure :|

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Ohhher if they flatten it I'll have problems for sure :|

may have to turn your boost down... run standard, like I am ;)

mpau009
31-03-2006, 02:44 AM
on the dyno, do they put the pedal flat out to the floor? Or slowly increase it? Or hold it at 50% throttle etc. etc.?

You can ask them not to go past so many revs, or so much boost or whatever, and i think they control the throttle with a computer keyboard thingamajig so they can be pretty accurate. For mine they got it rolling up to third at about 2.5k, then brought it up steadily over about 10 seconds (ended up pushing close to 140k in third, iv would never have had the guts;):evil2: )

I think i might have to come along...

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 02:58 AM
may have to turn your boost down... run standard, like I am ;)

That's the thing. I am running standard. Boost controller fully closed...

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 03:06 AM
That's the thing. I am running standard. Boost controller fully closed...

well up to you, but if you want to put a tenner on it... ;) lol

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 03:11 AM
well up to you, but if you want to put a tenner on it... ;) lol

LOL we'll definately see how I'm feeling in the morning.

Taking the car for an all night run down to Hamilton and back. See how it reacts overnight.

I'm at work, and have been reading into the MAF adjustment screw. I see you've done it in your car, but how much? And what gains does it benefit? Obviously it leans out the mixture abit. I'm pretty sure I'm running really really rich and experiencing the same problems Andy (AllBeItMine) has been having back in mid 2005. Pretty much same mods too.

Does the ECU theoretically cut the car's fuel source if the air/fuel mixture is too rich? Maybe leaning the mixture out abit via the MAF screw will help get more air in there? Or doing it via S-AFC? (The S-AFC has NOT been tuned or dialled in yet)

Or am I just talking crap /pan

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 03:32 AM
LOL we'll definately see how I'm feeling in the morning.

Taking the car for an all night run down to Hamilton and back. See how it reacts overnight.

I'm at work, and have been reading into the MAF adjustment screw. I see you've done it in your car, but how much? And what gains does it benefit? Obviously it leans out the mixture abit. I'm pretty sure I'm running really really rich and experiencing the same problems Andy (AllBeItMine) has been having back in mid 2005. Pretty much same mods too.

Does the ECU theoretically cut the car's fuel source if the air/fuel mixture is too rich? Maybe leaning the mixture out abit via the MAF screw will help get more air in there? Or doing it via S-AFC? (The S-AFC has NOT been tuned or dialled in yet)

Or am I just talking crap /pan

I have wound the MAF screw right back. There is not a bump on the inside of the MAF.

Yes, It will encourage the ECU to run the car a little leaner open loop. Don't forget that your ECU uses the O2 sensor for closed loop... and in fact it can adjust the fuel trims based on seen deviation from the pre-programmed map.
Am not too sure if this affects WOT though!

Fuel cut is when the ECU looks at the Airflow, RPM and whatever other sensors it uses, and eithier doesnt hvae an entry in the lookup table or sees that it exceeds the "safe" limits. Basically its volume of air at RPM

winding out the MAF screw makes the ECU see less of the air because more of it goes through the gap where the maf screw was. thus possibly avoiding fuel cut.

the SAFC just does the same thing except has more configurability.

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Nice explanation Kenneth. Now I fully understand. Thanks.

btw, know where I can get a passengerside headlight ASAP?!!! ANYONE IN AUCKLAND PLEASE?!

I just came up with a minter of an idea.

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 03:45 AM
Nice explanation Kenneth. Now I fully understand. Thanks.

btw, know where I can get a passengerside headlight ASAP?!!! ANYONE IN AUCKLAND PLEASE?!

I just came up with a minter of an idea.

It wouldnt be something like destroying the hi-beam section and using it for cold air intake would it? :P

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Bastard.

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 03:47 AM
You're so anti-climax Kenneth :(

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 03:51 AM
lol. Had thought of that myself. If you are having problems with fuel cut, CAI will just make it worse.

I dismissed that idea because my bumper has an ideal intake and I think ruining the light would make it look stupid :P

and the headlights are worth quite a bit of money :P

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 04:08 AM
lol. Had thought of that myself. If you are having problems with fuel cut, CAI will just make it worse.

Hmmm yea I've already got a CAI setup though.

Ok this is how the cutting started. First mod was intercooler. Cutted very rarely. Second was CAI. Cutted frequently. Then Fuel pump. Cuts lots less. Then fuel pump re-wire, hardly cuts at all.

Still cuts when pushed hard though :(

Next I'm going to wind that screw out, and put the FPR on aswell at a later date.

I dismissed that idea because my bumper has an ideal intake and I think ruining the light would make it look stupid :P

and the headlights are worth quite a bit of money :P

That's why I want a second hand one. Asif I'm going to cut up my silver Super VR4 ones.

bradc
31-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Osiris, I wouldn't be able to get it to you until after the dyno day, unless you want to drive to my house tonight, then you are welcome to come and take it. If you are going down to hamilton already, then my house is only 1km off the road, so feel welcome to stop by

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Yeaaa dude you're tha man :D

I'll be round about 7pmish?

What's your cell phone number dude? PM it to me :)

Now I just gotta try and rememeber where your place is... LOL

Kenneth
31-03-2006, 04:28 AM
If you are getting fuel cut, then it might pay to put the standard airbox in and see if it goes away.

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 04:42 AM
Nooo :(

lol I'll do some testing and see what happens :)

bradc
31-03-2006, 04:57 AM
seeya tonight dude :)

OSiRiS
31-03-2006, 05:05 AM
Yea cheers dude :D

Damn that engine did come in handy :P

bradc
31-03-2006, 05:16 AM
I knew it would :)