PDA

View Full Version : Bov And Wastegate

batherst
04-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Hey all have just brought a legnum and need to know where to fit the blow off valve? can any one tell me where to fit this and send me some pix of your own? also have a waste gate and need the same advice. cheers

bradc
04-04-2006, 03:17 AM
The stock bov is down on the right hand side of the bumper just after the intercooler.

You will need 2 wastegates, one for each turbo

mpau009
04-04-2006, 05:56 AM
You can see the stock recirculating valve in this pic, in the location brad mentions.

Kenneth
04-04-2006, 06:18 AM
And here is a not so stock BOV in the same place :D

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9412&d=1143363571

You See
04-04-2006, 07:11 AM
You will need 2 wastegates, one for each turbo
I wouldn't recommend 2 off the standard turbos, as I have done with issues holding boost. Best to plumb it into one. :D

batherst
04-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the help guys ill give that a shot. Cheers :)

bernmc
04-04-2006, 08:48 AM
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

It's flippin' amazing I tell you!

(And my mood has nothing to do with the fact that I'm now working day 33 without any time off :|)

You See
04-04-2006, 09:01 AM
You trying to tell us something Bern? ...Preddy colours BTW! :p

Wouter
04-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey Bern.....

If you are feeling stressed you should go see your Doctor!! /haz

bernmc
04-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Hey Bern.....

If you are feeling stressed you should go see your Doctor!! /haz

I'm not f*&$ing STRESSED /TTTH /TTTH /TTTH

valmes
10-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I wouldn't recommend 2 off the standard turbos, as I have done with issues holding boost. Best to plumb it into one. :D

I've heard it before, but I still can't make sence out of it...

External wastegates can only be placed BEFORE the turbo (if internal one is welded shut) and as I have seen our stock manifolds I just can't figure out where did you bolt/welded them to? Moreover, our stock manifolds are made out of cast iron... :inquisiti Cast iron and steel??? Where did you place them, our manifolds are limited on space? Do you have any photos?

... and in case you did go with custom made SS manifolds - why for stock turbos?

You See
10-04-2006, 06:07 AM
I'll post up pics later tonight (if I remember). No I didn't go for customer manifolds....but I will need to if I go away from the standard turbos.

batherst
10-04-2006, 06:54 AM
so i wont have any trouble if i plumb it into one? sounds like a mission bt ill give it a shot. i think the bov i got is 25mm........

valmes
10-04-2006, 08:16 AM
I'll post up pics later tonight (if I remember). No I didn't go for customer manifolds....but I will need to if I go away from the standard turbos.

I will remind you... /pan

valmes
10-04-2006, 08:23 AM
so i wont have any trouble if i plumb it into one? sounds like a mission bt ill give it a shot. i think the bov i got is 25mm........

I think you've got something messed up... Plumbing a BOV is not a mission... it's like 10 min of a deal! :pimp2:

You See
10-04-2006, 09:42 AM
ok, here's how mines done (sorry but it's the best I can do..I couldn't get my camera into the tight areas)
First 2 - Back wastegate
Next 2 - Front wastegate
Last - BOV

valmes
10-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanx... so they are welded onto cast iron manifolds... interesting. :thinking:

You See
10-04-2006, 10:34 AM
I'd recommend holding out, do the turbos, manifolds and wastegates at the same time....would be much less complicated.

batherst
10-04-2006, 10:43 AM
sorry i was talking about the wastegates. cheeers

valmes
10-04-2006, 11:01 AM
I'd recommend holding out, do the turbos, manifolds and wastegates at the same time....would be much less complicated.

I couldn't resist... and did the turbos already ;)

You See
10-04-2006, 11:03 AM
TD04's??...Dual wastegates should be fine if it is.

valmes
10-04-2006, 12:30 PM
TD04's??...Dual wastegates should be fine if it is.

Nahh... for now I will go with upgraded actuator springs (internal wastegates), but will keep in mind your setup if I have any problems. Although I highly doubt it... Thanx anyway, I didn't think it was possible to weld SS to CI...

TTV6VR4
11-04-2006, 10:26 AM
You See, are those still the stock turbos in the pics and what make and size are your wastegates?

You See
11-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Yeah stock turbos (at the mo :D) ...wastegates are 38mm XSPower (Tial Style) ..if you're up in AKL feel free to pop around and have a lookie.

TTV6VR4
12-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Are both of them atmosphere dumping?, if so what does it sound like, any chance of a sound file?

Kenneth
12-04-2006, 11:10 PM
UC, What are you using for boost control?

batherst
13-04-2006, 12:25 AM
ok well i now have the bov finally and its looking a little concerning cus of its size check out the link and let me know what u think

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=52767899

soapy1978
13-04-2006, 01:34 AM
what are the idea of waste gates

Kenneth
13-04-2006, 02:14 AM
what are the idea of waste gates

Wastegates perform a couple of functions actually.

first off you have to understand how the turbo works (basicly anyway).
Air flows from high pressure to low pressure, if you have high pressure in a bottle, you open the lid and the pressure escapes into the low pressure area.

Because of this movement, if you put a fan in between the high pressure zone and the low pressure zone, the moving air will cause the fan to rotate. this is your turbine.
The faster the air moves, the faster the turbine spins. because the turbine is connected to the compressor, the faster the turbine spins the more air the compressor forces into the engine. If the compressor can flow enough, it makes boost.

A wastegate opens another path between the high pressure zone and the low pressure zone. this means that there is less air moving through the turbine and the turbine doesn't spin so fast.
This regulates boost, as the boost arrives at its pre-determined level the wastegate opens to let bleed the excess pressure and the turbine stays at the correct speed.

An additional use for wastegates is for low pressure turbos, or very small turbos such as the ones in the VR-4.

At high RPM the turbine causes too much restriction for the exaust gasses, causing the turbo to run beyond its designed limits. Aside from possibly damaging the turbo, the compressor can actually flow less air, heat up the air etc. Also, the pressure in the exaust manifold just stacks, making the engine unable to pump as effectively.
Under these conditions the wastegate opening allows more exaust gasses to flow around the turbine and freeing up the engine. You can actually produce more HP this way than trying to run more boost but over-running your turbos.

On an aside, this is actually also what clipping the turbine does.

so:
1) the wastegate regulates boost
2) free up exaust restriction so turbos continue to operate efficiently at high RPM.

batherst
13-04-2006, 03:47 AM
well i have attempted to put this in http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Turbos/auction-53415009.htm and it seems there is one to many pipes... any advice????

Kenneth
13-04-2006, 04:12 AM
well i have attempted to put this in http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Turbos/auction-53415009.htm and it seems there is one to many pipes... any advice????

standard bypass valve is a recirculating type, the one in your picture is a vent to atmosphere type. you will need to use something to plug the pipe that goes back to the front turbo.

batherst
13-04-2006, 05:32 AM
ah, that would explain alot. cheers. so is that the pipe closest to the front or back? and what would i use to block the hole?