PDA

View Full Version : budget ice/mp3/sat nav solution

thecustomer
04-04-2006, 05:58 PM
OK, so I've inherited an interesting/useless mix of kit from Japan:
(my Legnum's an 11/96 fresh import)

- underseat sat nav for downtown Tokyo, displayed on an in-dash screen
- 10 disc cd setup that doesn't work
- bandwith-limited radio/tape & alleged cd.

Right now I can't justify the ideal solution - 7" double-din touchscreen, driving sat nav & multi cd - which would cost north of £1k

& since I've not bought a cd in a couple of years, I'm not sure I *need* anything more than a single slot cd player. But I do need a system that'll play mp3s.
And the less cash the better.

So here's the plan
- throw out the 10 disc cd player (any takers?)
- ditto the Jap sat nav system
- keep the in-dash screen for now, till I can work out if it's compatible with anything (it may not be - anybody got any thoughts on that?)

and then:

- widget that plays mp3s through the radio, from a standard usb stick, [I've got plenty of usb sticks] for £30 from eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9707108314&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT)
So now I can drag'n'drop hours of music

- next step, drop in a simple, good quality, single slot radio/cd: I'm partial to Kenwood, & £100 should do the trick (& remove the 10 disc changer from the boot)

- and then either spring for a Becker portable sat nav unit, 'bout £280, or if the in-dash screen is useable for anything, hook up an under-seat unit

I'll let y'all know how it goes

Will

Nick Mann
04-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Fair plan. Do a search on BDA MMCS. That's the road I'd go down given the chance.

Let us all know how it turns out! I've just discovered my wifes Nokia will run tomtom pda software. All I need is a bluetooth GPS module and an *ahem* affordable copy of the software!