PDA

View Full Version : a question about headlights

KEENY
05-04-2006, 10:10 PM
hello once again boys and girls (looking at this galant questions section i seem to be dominating it. lol)

ok the standard lights on a galant are pretty piss poor. so i was wondering what are the brightest lights i can get for my galant without getting hids.

i have seen some lights in halfords it sayes on the box 30% extra brightness but i thought i would ask you guys first.

also when you put your lights are on full do the side lights turn up to full brightness as well as the main lights? and do main and side lights engage when you go to main beam.

silly questions i know and i could just go and have a look but its late im in my jim jams and i havent got my slippers on. lol

I-S
06-04-2006, 01:21 PM
The best LEGAL bulbs you can get are Osram Silver Star +50: http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/product.php?productid=16326&cat=0&page=1

You can get 85W and 100W bulbs, but these are 1) not road legal, 2) may introduce too much heat into the light housing and 3) may demand too much current, blowing fuses and possibly damaging wiring.

What you have in a UK light cluster is:

Sidelight: T4W
Dip beam (outer reflector, shared with sidelight): H7
Main beam (inner reflector): H1

The H7s remain lit when you have the H1s on, so you have illumination near the car as well (it's noticeable on my parent's shogun with H4s (dual-filament) how bad the llumination is nearer to the car).

I found a noticeable improvement in putting superbright halogen bulbs in (I started with bosch, both H7s blew after about a year and replaced them with halfords best ones which are cheaper and every bit as bright. Osram should be brighter though). Also, keep your headlamps clean... it makes a serious difference.

bernmc
06-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I've got 80W xenons for main and dipped beams. I only drive on the pavement. The bulbs originally roasted the connectors, and I had to do some soldering/bodging. Seem ok now.

They're a lot better than the standard bulbs, and don't seem to bother other motorists - I haven't been flashed. And it was fine at MOT.

Wouldn't recommend it though- first time they cooked the connectors, I had to drive home with fogs :o!!!

imcarm
11-04-2006, 01:52 PM
I purchased the following on fleabay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8054705850&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Quick delivery, ordered yesterday morning and they arrived this morning - Will be fitting tonight (weather permitting) - Will let you know my views, but to be honest £9.99 for 6 bulbs is a bargain.

ANTHONY
11-04-2006, 07:03 PM
or this set http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8054400384&fromMakeTrack=truelet us know how you get on

soapy1978
11-04-2006, 07:18 PM
I purchased the following on fleabay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8054705850&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Quick delivery, ordered yesterday morning and they arrived this morning - Will be fitting tonight (weather permitting) - Will let you know my views, but to be honest £9.99 for 6 bulbs is a bargain.

got the same set as this in my leggy and i have found them to be lot better then what was in there and it also makes the front of the the car look better than it already did

darren

imcarm
12-04-2006, 10:15 AM
It didn't stop raining last night so I will be fitting them tonight. The last time I changed bulbs I remember it being a right pain in the arse, from memory I recall cussing at the limited space on the passenger side. /Grrr

So this time the battery is coming out as I don't like scraping the skin of my arms :baby:

soapy1978
12-04-2006, 10:28 AM
it easyer i think to take the grill off and the head lights out i found it easyer to do this than take pipes and battery out

imcarm
12-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Cheers soapy sounds like a damn fine plan! :happy:

imcarm
13-04-2006, 09:41 AM
What a nightmare /Grrr

Taking the grill out was simple, but the bolts holding the headlights in place were rusted, gave them some squirts of wd40 then proceeded to undo them... The first bolt come off a treat but the second and third just sheared off at the head.

I gave up after the second bolt snapped and decided to replace the bulbs the hard way. It was getting late so I decided to just replace the H1's (easiest to reach also) - Once the bulbs were replaced I tested the full beam and got nothing, wiggled the plastic connector on the drivers side and the bulb came on, clean the contacts and the drivers side is now perfect, passenger side is a different kettle of fish, the wiring has been bodged (My car is an EX police car) so looks as if I now have to re-wire to get working lights.. If I get stopped by the police for only having one light I'll have a good mind to open the bonnet and point at the wiring and blame them for it.... /pan /Grrr /pan

Rant over :happy:

ritch_w
13-04-2006, 09:48 AM
My car is an EX police car

thats interesting! - never heard of galants being used by the polis

do you know any of its history of what it was used for when the boys in blue had it?/Hmmm

imcarm
13-04-2006, 10:27 AM
do you know any of its history of what it was used for when the boys in blue had it?/Hmmm

When I bought it the dealer explained it was used by the drug squad, so was more than likely used for a couple of under cover operations. I believe the bodged wiring is due to the fact that it would of had a blue light and siren behind the grill, or could of possible had HIDS as well at some point.

The registration number was also changed proir to me owning the car, I presume the boys in blue have do this by law?

soapy1978
16-04-2006, 11:43 AM
the number p[late has to be changed by law as you say

and sorry to hear about your trouble with get the light unit out mine came out fine

and as for the wireing it is most probally as they had the flashing head light fitted to your car and not rewired them proply when the took it all out before the sale of the car