PDA

View Full Version : Redline MT90

Cezco
07-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Where can I get some Redline MT90 for my manual VR-4? The link to delta oils doesn't seem to be working... It is three litres I need, isn't it?/help

amsoil
08-04-2006, 12:44 PM
The story is :- Delta Oils had a contract for importing Redline and an absolutely top oil man called Gareth. All was well until the renewal approached and the contract wasn't renewed. The new contract going to some chap who deals in Fire extinguishers or whatever. Given there was no 'good will' or handing over the new chap was seen standing at the motor show twiddling his fingers not knowing who his customers were or much about oil either. Something about the new importer being a friend of the top guy in the States I'm told. Gareth went on to join 76 Oils and is doing well and IMHO Redline is all but finished in the UK for the forseeable future. Not a problem really as even Gareth would admit that the Redline g/box oils and in particular the Shockproof , had its 'limitations'. Don't get me wrong we still stock some Redline products and their water wetter is absolutely tops but the ethics of what has occured make it unlikely that we will reorder, we are not alone. If you dont fancy Amsoil (at a club discount) then Motul is good.

Cezco
10-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I thought there was a problem with amsoil and a manual gearbox? It chewed up the sychro didn't it? What is the best oil for the manual box?

amsoil
10-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Personally I would put Amsoil AGR in, not because I now deal in the stuff but because its where I 1st got involved when I was running a road going Jag that put 3 x the BHP through what I thought was a very over stretched manual box. I was put onto this stuff by some Can Am racers and managed to get hold of it from Chas; this was 15 years ago. The box never failed or wore its syncros and only suffered once from a bent selector (but that was me wacking it in at the Pod). Yes one of the guys here took Amsoil out quickly because he thought the cones where spinning too much but a full synthetic will need a bit of time to remove varnishes etc before you can get the best effects, No one else has had problems that I know of, just the opposite.
Having said that Amsoil have brought out a new manual box oil called MTG http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx
which I see has replaced the 'normal' manaul gearbox oils in their recomendations for Mitsys. I have this stuff in a container on the seas as I write and it will be in the UK at the weekend and ready to go out on Wednesday baring major problems. If you would like some just order AGR and let me know you would like the new MTG I'll charge you the same as AGR even though i know it will cost more as I haven't worked out a price as yet nor will i be able to until Customs give me the bill.
If you really want MT90 Demon Tweeks have it at Just over £14 o quart + postage. Motul is 25P or so more at Tweeks but you might as well try Opie Oils and see if you can get a deal from Simon. The new Amsoil MTG will be just under £11 to you less club discount (so under £10). As with all things in life ..... you pays your money you takes your choice etc.

nismoevo
29-05-2008, 08:27 PM
dont use redline mt90 very notchy when cold

Kieran
30-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I thought there was a problem with amsoil and a manual gearbox? It chewed up the sychro didn't it?

That's not quite true. Well, that is to say that it's not a problem exclusive to Amsoil. What happened was this:

Years ago (a year or two before the rest of the Club discovered Amsoil, and before Amsoil discovered us!) Wirdy (a longtime member on here) filled his manual 'box with Amsoil gear oil. I can't remember which one, but the key is that it was GL-5 spec. In fact, here's the thread about it from just over 4 years ago:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3847

Anyway - long and short is that the manual Gearboxes need GL-4 and not GL-5 oil. If you fill with a GL-5 brew, then the syncromesh rings play up.

Amsoil do now stock a GL-4 only brew - Amsoil MTG. Link below:

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/manual_transmission.html

wirdy
02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Ah...yes...all those years ago:thinking:

Still have redline in the box and it's still fine - yes, a little notchy when the outside temp is low, but fine if you let the box warm up before really pushing it.

I stand by my original judgement of the original Amsoil manual box oil, I did leave it in for a good few weeks with NO improvemnt in the (poor) synchro performance. Maybe there is an argument that varnish, etc was still to be removed but I'm a little sceptical about that. Redline is fully synthetic also but worked so much better from day one and has stayed consistently good (once warm!).

Perhaps the fact that there is now a 'GL-4' type amsoil product shows that I had the wrong oil at the time, although it was the recommended 'universal' manual gearbox oil at the time.

bradc
03-06-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm sure that in the interests of selling more stuff Don could send you out 3L of the GL4 Amsoil stuff and see if it fixes the problem.

mpau009
03-06-2008, 08:26 AM
I am using Amsoils older GL-5 oil on the advice of the old importer in auckland (now someone else) and it is ****ing terrible. At 6.30 in the morning, i cannot get the car into any gear without letting it idle for 4-5 minutes to warm up, and then it is notchy for the next 5-10 minutes, and its almost as bad in the afternoon.. Should have trusted my judgement and what i had read on CVR4/pan

Not blaming the oil, im sure it does the job in the correct application, but anyone who thinks they are doing themselves a favour using GL-5 should definately think twice.

Unfortunately the bad advice and experience has put me off amsoil.. so i'll be using the same as some other NZers - Castrol VMX cause i can be sure it will be okay.

Subaru ETA
03-06-2008, 08:41 AM
yup vmx is great and porb alot cheaper...

wirdy
04-06-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm sure that in the interests of selling more stuff Don could send you out 3L of the GL4 Amsoil stuff and see if it fixes the problem.

I think Don's doing fine without my endorsement:2thumbsup

It would be great if a tester could get some of the GL-4 Amsoil and try it in the VR4 box, but I'm afraid I'm not buying any more Amsoil manual transmission oil as it ain't cheap and I've lost confidence in it. In fact the Amsoil GL-5 has sat in my garage in it's container since i drained it out 5 yrs ago. Anybody want it?

I might try some of this Castrol VMX stuff.

I swear by other Amsoil products and have sung its praises for many years (have it in both my Citroen autoboxes)....just not the gearbox oil for the manual VR4 - you can't be good at everything, I guess!!

Nutter_John
04-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Had AMSoil MTG in my gearbox for the last 40,000 miles with ZERO issues and thats been abused heavily over that time , never once has it missed a beat with it

wirdy
05-06-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm getting old, and these abbreviations confuse me.....is MTG the original manual gearbox stuff? i.e does MTG= GL-5??

I also noted some yrs ago that the FTO forums had similar problems with GL-5 oils and consequential synchro slippiness.

bradc
05-06-2008, 02:18 AM
MTG is GL4

amsoil
06-06-2008, 02:21 AM
Gear ratios changed; SVG put back in (via a coffee strainer to get the shrapnel out) using the same stuff for 7 years! and I literally mean the same stuff. No problems at all BUT, this is a dog box not a syncro.
SVG is not the stuff for a syncro box as it is too slippery and will resist being forced out of the syncros and so prevent them gripping and allowing an easy gear change. it is rated at GL5 It is brill for diffs and dog boxes.
For manual syncro boxes a GL4 is needed as in Amsoils MTG or MTF They will give the needed protection and more, will allow cold easy shifts and wont attack yellow metal as in the rings themselves and bushes.
Historically 5-10 years ago many manufactures where having problems with new lightweight syncro boxes baulking and getting damage because of engagement problems. Some specified ATF others engine oil Examples are Landrovers with gearboxes being worn out at about the 40,000 miles mark. ATF makes for easy changes but with little protection, it is after all a form of hydraulic oil not gearbox oil.
Amsoil has been the very best for gearbox oil for decades. The likes of Benniton and Jordan GP can't be wrong and the latter paid full wack for it! (I can mention these names now as they no longer exist)
Redline should do fine, Just check if you are tracking the car as it does foam badly when pushed, then the protection you get is like a gauda cheese, full of holes. A better bet could be a top spec Castol gearbox oil. Close but quite as good as Amsoil.
Bye for now 2am + and up at 8 for another 16 hr day of race prep. Le Mans is calling