PDA

View Full Version : Bank cheque scam!

Brind
09-10-2003, 01:34 AM
A guy on another forum is selling his car, which is advertised online.
He got an email from some guy from a different country who is interested in his car.
The buyer is willing to pay the price the seller is asking based on the picture.
The buyer wants the car shipped to his country so he could possibly sell it on.
The buyer is getting money from someone who owes him money and send £9500 to the seller to which the seller sends back £6000 to the buyer leaving the buyer with £3500 the seller is asking for the car.

But based on a cheque clearing isn't actually as safe as you would believe as although a cheque CAN clear it can still be fraudulant and it could take a while longer for that to be picked up, in the meantime you could have spent the money and then have to pay it all back to the bank, not to mention lose out on whatever you sold to recieve the dodgy cheque in the first place.

This is happening while speak as the guy is spilling the details of the process of this possible scam.
Follow the story here: http://www.with4wheels.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=2054&

tunes
09-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Screw that. I couldn't and wouldn't sell my car unless i met the buyer in person.

Spirit
09-10-2003, 01:58 AM
Yep and got cash or a bankers draught

Japmetal
11-10-2003, 12:00 PM
I have to agree; there's gotta be something wrong when the buyer is trusting you with nearly TWICE as much as you're asking for again instead of writing his own cheque for the amount, too !!

Nik77
14-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Chaps,

This is a well known Nigerian scam. The scammers watch various web sites for people to sell their goods. i got several emails from nigerian origins claiming they wanted to but my GO KART for their wives etc.

A guy on karting.co.uk documented his hassles with a cheque he recieved from a bank based in Birmingham. He placed it in his account and put special fast clearance on the cheque. this highlights the cheque to your bank and the clearing fake bank. Would you believe the cheque never cleared after that.

http://www.wendywillcox.50megs.com/ is an interesting but lengthy story of one such scammer...

happy hunting