PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

grafick
10-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Hi there
i'm relativly new here, been looking over the site for a while now and have to say all your cars look mint.
Anyway on to my question, i bought my vr4 a few months back, i've only done up the sounds so far and was wanting to know where a good place to start with engine mods would be.
Also with air filters i've noticed a lot of you have moved the battery, is this the only way to go about getting good cold airflow?
Thanks for any help

KiwiTT
10-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Some have recommended leaving the standard airbox in place and getting a good air - filter installed.

Kenneth
10-04-2006, 01:48 AM
Yep, my advice would be to leave the standard airbox. There is just no proof that changing it makes any performance increase. (without going for aftermarket ECU anyway)

If you want power, I would say to start with the exaust. Installing a full exaust from the turbos back made a big difference to my car and I would higly recomend it. (2.5" from turbos, 3" from where the downpipes meet)

grafick
10-04-2006, 04:50 AM
cool thanks for the help i'll start looking into it
cheers

Russ
12-04-2006, 04:01 AM
A couple of years ago, I had my stock -new- VR4 on a Dyno and did a couple of runs to 6000rpm and compared with air filter and without. Unfortunately I didn't
save the files so I can't show you, but from memory the power difference was about 1 to 2 KW across the rpm range.

bradc
12-04-2006, 04:38 AM
Russ, out of curiosity how much power did you make, and how many km's had the car done?

Kenneth
12-04-2006, 05:20 AM
A couple of years ago, I had my stock -new- VR4 on a Dyno and did a couple of runs to 6000rpm and compared with air filter and without. Unfortunately I didn't
save the files so I can't show you, but from memory the power difference was about 1 to 2 KW across the rpm range.

Just to be clear, is this just the filter, such as a K&N replacement panel, or putting on a pod filter?

Russ
12-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Kenneth, the filter was/is the standard Mitsubishi part.
Bradc, the car had around 5500 km's on the odo.
Peek power was either 170 or 175Kw can't remember exactly. The torque curve was amazingly flat from 2500rpm up. Boost was 8.2psi except for a small spike at 5000rpm where it very briefly went up to 10psi - oddly, the front/rear torque split changed at this point - can anyone explain this?

I should add that the Kw figure was measured at the wheels on a brand new Dynapack(tm) dyno