PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood 4 pot calipers?

Kalle
11-04-2006, 10:39 PM
I've searched the forum for wilwood but did'ny find anything useful.. I'm interested to hear if anyone here has got them or has any experience of them fitted on a VR4. How much do they cost? Are they better than a Brembo conversion from an EVO6?

Rally205
12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
I had Wilwoods on another car. They were crap IMHO. There was absolutley no feel to the pedal due to the bridge flexing and the stopping power was very poor. That is why I will never use them again.

Kalle
17-04-2006, 03:17 PM
I have a full set of EVO brembos at home so I reckon the wilwood ones will be up for sale as soon as I have found a set of rims that will fit over the Brembos..
I'll of course test the brakes to see if the wilwood ones are any good, maybe I'll do a test of the breaking distance together with another Legnum back home that have the original still fitted..

Nick Mann
17-04-2006, 10:21 PM
That would be a usefull comparison! Please post up the results.

Kalle
27-04-2006, 09:34 AM
I now have some comments on the wilwood calipers.. they squeel quite a lot and I don't feel that they have any good bite.. but I haven't compared to the original yet, hopefully this weekend

Kalle
07-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I have now tried them out a little harder and it seems like they are home on a track! Much better than the original brakes when pushed a little harder!

But for everyday driving they are horrible!

Kenneth
07-05-2006, 11:16 PM
You might find it more to do with the pad compound than the actual calipers.

You might have high performance pads that dont work well until they reach a certian temperature. If you dont reach this temp around town, you will find that your brakes are sub optimal.

The compound I have on mine is a little this way... doesn't want to stop on a dime when cold, but will pull up well even with the disks glowing orange.

Ideally you would use 1 set of pads for track and have another set for street.

amsoil
08-05-2006, 02:19 AM
Real brakes are made by AP only (Carroll Smith) I would now add Brembo to that particularly as they have now bought AP. 4 pots should be more than adequate, 6 pots are for those who don't really appreciate brakes and want to spend unnecessary money; heck you could even go for 8 pots and titanium pistons!

Kalle
14-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Some new information on this.. It seems like the inner pads were completely wore down, so the squeeling could origin from that.. :thinking:

amsoil
14-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Are you saying that the inner pads only have worn down? . If that is so then you have a problem.

Kalle
14-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes, only the inner pads, the outer is fine..
What could be the cause of this strange wear?

amsoil
14-06-2006, 05:36 PM
This wear is caused by having one or both of the pistons seized on one side of the caliper. The side thats working is the side where the pads wear. Your braking would be very poor from this caliper with bad pulling away from the side with the problem. In bad cases the caliper can shear fracture from the uprights or the disc can be fatigue sheared from the bell causing a locked wheel.
You will need to remove the stuck pistons; if you hold the caliper in a vice and suceed in pushing them in a bit (ie freeing them) then things become easier and if you connect them directly to a pressure source (air of hydrolic) you can carefully get them out. The chances are than one will move by itself and when its nearly out you have to block its further progress to get the other moving. Scoring of the piston or trying to get one out with a screwdriver usually confinds a piston to the bin. I clean gently with brake fluid and worn 1200 grit emery paper . New seals are a must for the rebuild. Good Luck.

I-S
16-06-2006, 11:46 AM
6 pots are for those who don't really appreciate brakes and want to spend unnecessary money; heck you could even go for ... titanium pistons!

What, like this? :inquisiti /pan

(It's for a mountain bike... silly and uneccesary when there are lighter twin-pots that do a better job).

amsoil
16-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Thats for a bike!

I-S
16-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Thing is, would you be happy riding around with brakes made by "Hope"?

amsoil
17-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Sceaming in top at over 200MPH approaching the chicane hitting the pedel and the rest is down to AP (or Brembo if you prefer)

Bombing downhill hitting 40MPH and coming upto that dodgy sharp corner pulling on the leaver and leaving the rest down to Hope.......

Na starting to twitch already :5shots:

Kalle
28-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Would anyone over here be interested in a brake upgrade that fits under the standard 16" rims?

http://www.soederman.se/Foto/wilwoods.JPG

As you can see brackets for fitting it on a facelift is included, it seems easy to make a couple so that it fits the pre facelift.. correct me if I'm wrong

price you wonder? Is £250 reasonable?