PDA

View Full Version : Nos

Ailsa
22-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Anyone fitted NOS to a VR4?? Not really thinking about it, have NOS in my hairdresser mobile and won't even use that cause it's too scarey!!

Just curious!

Spirit
22-04-2003, 09:56 PM
I doubt it - there are other questions on the forums that doubt the strength of some of the internal components to even increase the boost above standard, and as yet there seems to be no definative conclusion.

Many people are waiting for someone to push one to the limits to see, but we are all afraid of the bill ! :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Pete

BraindG
22-04-2003, 10:12 PM
from what im hearing, and read on jap sites, the "innards" of the VR4 Engine is fairly good..

some of the upgraded Vr4 dont mention anything about pistons being replaced..

imstill collecting all the info, and putting it together, will take a while, there is just soo much of it to cross reference/verify

Rhys over in NZ will give us a good indication though.

FYI
Stock boost is 0.7 INSERT INTO post VALUES (10psi)
Max boost with standard ECU is 0.9 INSERT INTO post VALUES (13psi)

Spirit
22-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Glad to know the man is on the case !

So if one wanted to tweak one's boost slightly how would one go about it INSERT INTO post VALUES (trying to be posh don't work !) ?

Is an electronic boost control the only way and what are the pro's and con's of these ?

Pete

Petrolhead
22-04-2003, 10:48 PM
I must admit, the turbo boost does get increasingly less exciting the higher up the gears you go. By the start of fifth gear INSERT INTO post VALUES (130mph) it's almost un-noticable. INSERT INTO post VALUES (private test track by the way)

Would it hurt the engine to have extra boost in the higher gears?

Spirit
23-07-2003, 08:53 PM
On this thread : http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=733 FTOLTD says he is running a 6A13 engine at 400+BHP with stock internals with no problems.

With this in mind what do people now think about adding NOS and who are the best people to talk too ?

Pete

BraindG
23-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Petrolhead
I must admit, the turbo boost does get increasingly less exciting the higher up the gears you go. By the start of fifth gear INSERT INTO post VALUES (130mph) it's almost un-noticable. INSERT INTO post VALUES (private test track by the way)

Would it hurt the engine to have extra boost in the higher gears?

Which one you got mate?
ive got a HK5 EVC5 - as it allows me to switch on/off the boost on the fly.. i can really notice the difference in 5th gear.. without it on, its not so hot, turn it on, and im at 140 before i know it..

love it :devil3:

Brind
23-07-2003, 09:48 PM
I have seriously considered this in the past but always came up against insurance problems, basically it is virtually impossible to get insurance for road use.

Thev at 'Highpower' has an excellent reputation!!! Highpower (http://www.highpower.freeserve.co.uk) and he also offers an engine warranty, so if any fault arises that IS due to his kits.. assuming everything is installed and setup correctly, he will pay for repairs.
And as far as I'm aware he has never had to pay out on anything major yet!

Taking into account the cost of repairs on the VR-4, I'm VERY reluctant to want to cause anything that dissrupt my warranty!

LOMY
23-07-2003, 10:41 PM
I'm considering splashing out a 'few quid' INSERT INTO post VALUES (euphemism of the century that) on intake/exhaust/boost controller INSERT INTO post VALUES (particularly interested in the route Barry has chosen for the boost) but, after reading some of the posts on this site, i'm afraid i might destroy the auto box on my Legnum and bankrupt myself in the process. Barry i assume yours is manual or am i wrong there?

BraindG
23-07-2003, 10:59 PM
yup.. mine is a manual mate. the boost controller, is by far the most fun thing ive added to the car.. ive found my self on many occasions, switching it off.. flooring it, and switching it back on again, just to feel the difference :D

calum
23-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Different ways of upping boost mentioned on this thread:

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=4081#post4081

Calum

Spirit
23-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Hopefully some trade stands selling NOS kits at JAE so can gather some more info

Nick VR4
24-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Trev with the Evo GTA on the MLR has NOS fitted
It worked for a while and then his engine decided to let go
Blew the pistons :Cry1:

see below for reason taken from MLR
=========================================

As some of you may remember I had a NOS kit from the Wizard of NOS fitted to my VII about 3 months ago. There has been a major problem over the past couple of weeks but I didn't want to post until I was fairly sure of the cause. Here are the facts so far:

A couple of weeks ago when the car was in for some routine work with BARNY INSERT INTO post VALUES (Nick) he expressed concern over the amount of blue smoke being produced.

Nick checked the plugs and did a leakdown test. This was 2% 7% 56% and 2% - so as you can imagine there was a problem.

Nick suggested I shouldn't move the car and gave me a lift home INSERT INTO post VALUES (about a 100 mile return trip on a Friday night ! )

Two pistons were found to be cracked, one badly, one not too badly. The bores are OK and hopefully the rebuild will be complete mid next week. INSERT INTO post VALUES (engine 6000 miles)

Various opinions were sought from both the NOS supplier and installer as well as independant techical opinions from people familiar with NOS & EVO's but no vested interest in my car.

The cause appears to be that I was running NOS all the way to the limiter and for periods of time. The limiter on the GTA cuts back and this left extra NOS in the cut back cylinders.... and when I kicked in again at full throttle ---- BANG

Now my my grievance is that apparently the Wizard of NOS was aware of NOS problems running to a vehicles limiter, especially those cars fitted with a hard limiter like the GTA. Unfortunately this was not passed on.

As you don't normally buy an EVO to 'pop to the shops' then I would have expected to have been told something about driving it too hard.

If you visit the NOS Wizard's site at http://www.noswizard.com you will see:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nitrous Systems have been working with and manufacturing
Nitrous Oxide Systems and other related products for over 20 years.
It is because of our expertise and vast experience that we can say with confidence:

Highpower Nitrous Oxide Systems will
**NOT** damage your engine!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really want to comment any further at the moment, but like I said when I first had it installed, I am happy to let you know the bad as well as the good. Well here is the first lot of bad.

I will post more as this progresses. The installer has responded positively INSERT INTO post VALUES (so far) to my suggestion for a refund. The Wizard hasn't answered the email yet so I can't comment on his response.

BTW Feel free to pass this on to Scoobynet

Ailsa
31-07-2003, 12:50 PM
My kit is a Wizard of NoS one aswell....

Any one know what size jets he had in?

Also does he mean the rev limiter or the speed limiter? I'm assuming rev limiter?

We're running 75 BHP jets and haven't as yet INSERT INTO post VALUES (touch wood) had any problems. Been fitted for about a year, only been on 75's for a few months though.

You don't use it often though, only really on track days INSERT INTO post VALUES (cause it's to expensive for every day use...) Think you'd probably have to use it for prolonged periods without cooling off in between to cause damage.

INSERT INTO post VALUES (this is on my haridresser car by the way - not the VR4)