PDA

View Full Version : insurance thread.

Robotnik123
14-04-2006, 12:38 AM
How much are you guys paying for insurance on your cars?

I am paying $616 per year for full cover with National Auto Club on my Legnum. I had to go with NAC because no one esle would cover the thing since it's deemed a "high-risk" boy-racer car and I park it on the street.

That premium, while it may sound low for some is a lot more than what I am used to paying. In comparison I used to pay $236 pa with AA Insurance for a 1999 BMW 540i, which I also parked on the street. That was a 210kW V8 and just as quick as a VR-4, but was not deemed high-risk. I'm age 32 with 16+ yrs on a full license, no points and 60% NCB by the way.

Gly
14-04-2006, 02:02 AM
im with http://www.tasmanpacific.co.nz/

im 24, and have a bad driving record (lots of fines and lost my licence for speeding, wrote my last car off), i pay $96 per month

i used to be with NAC but they charged me more than what i pay now
and the excess was alot higher to.

ShadyNZer
14-04-2006, 02:08 AM
^^ what license u got bro?

Gly
14-04-2006, 02:19 AM
full

bradc
14-04-2006, 02:47 AM
I'm 21, I got the VR-4 when I was 20. It is about $2000 a year, but fortunately I have a $200 excess and full cover on things like windscreens and flat tyres :D I will be coming up to renewal in May, I'll try and convince them to lower the premium for me. I live in a rural area and it is always garaged.

Rossco Type-S
14-04-2006, 09:46 PM
I am 24, restricted licence, car never garaged. Premiums are about $40 a month for full cover with BNZ. Excess is $1500. However, they only insured me because the firm I work for is a strategic client of theirs.

Turn 25 and get full in a couple of months so that should make a difference.

detonate
15-04-2006, 06:20 AM
$73 per month for full cover, car valued at $15k

I'm 23, Full licence, no claims, yadda yadda yadda.

that is via Aon's Stylecover.

That also is "mates rates" due to the company that I work for.

jervis
15-04-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm paying $55 at the moment through ASB (NRMA)

26... full... no claims..... good, generally well behaved citizen.....

although I did have to confirm with the insurance jock

"You are aware this is a twin turbo 2.5 litre V6?"

PS: Kia Ora det - I'm Drews mate Dan, I've met you a couple times :happy:

Robotnik123
15-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I could probably get a better price, but where I live at the moment, I don't have a garage, so the leggie is on the street. I have a cover over it though.

On a separate note, I notice there are some fairly young guys with legnums. I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way, but I bought the legnum cos' I have a family now and find the extra hauling ability quite useful. Anyway, when I was 21 or so, I would've thought a big wagon was an old man's car, and infact back then I had a Toyota GT Starlet. Might a hot hatch of some sort, like say a Mirage Cyborg be a more appropriate ride? :)

Gly
15-04-2006, 10:48 AM
legnums look and sound cool,

and ive never really liked small cars. so the legnum was my first choice after my 6G galant, which was also a whale of a car :D

i think mine looks nothing like a old mans car.

bradc
15-04-2006, 11:05 AM
If you check out my gallery I'm sure you'll agree that mine isn't an old mans car either :)

I think that a stock prefacelift looks a bit like an old mans car, especially with the tan leather interior :)

I needed a wagon for work, and it ended up being a choice between a Legacy GT, V8 Berlina wagon or a VR-4. I already had a Legnum and liked the shape, the Commodores were too expensive and the Legacy's are a lot slower than the Legnums.

Robotnik123
15-04-2006, 11:28 AM
The 8G Galant has got to be one of the best looking cars around and the legnum has even better lines than the sedan, in my opinion anyway. I have wanted to buy one for a while now.

Anyway, sorry about my young guy dig. :happy: A legnum is a 'sport' wagon anyway, for hauling snow boards, surfing gear or whatever, not a 'family' wagon really! :happy:

bradc
15-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Thats ok, most 20-25 year olds wouldn't buy wagons, I get hassled by my mates all the time :) I think a Legnum would be quite good for a family anyway, they have plenty of interior room.

Rossco Type-S
15-04-2006, 10:16 PM
The reason I brought one was because I needed a wagon for my dogs. At my age I was not about to go out and buy a Camry so it really came down to a legacy GT or VR4 and I had heard so many bad stories about soobies.

Xeroid
18-04-2006, 10:48 AM
OK, Recent car history:

96 Camry Wagon 2.2, work vehicle which I eventually bought. Great car, very economical, reliable, comfortable ......nana car.

Traded that for 96 Sub Legacy Grand Wagon, series 2 with ALL the trimmings, leather seats, electric everythings, bought cos the Camry was vanilla flavour ie no frills. Bloody excellent car, bit heavier on gas but never let me down, went anywhere, best car/SUV compromise I've come across....boring

So bought a 88 Mirage Cyborg 4G61 ( non turb ) as a 'fun' car, Was going to car club it, gymkhana, autocross etc and it could go like a scalded cat with 16" 205/45 tyres . ( It has since done 175kmh with new owner ) and had some general fun with it. Loud exhaust, recaro interior, lowered King spings. Great fun for sure, best car for handbrake slides into the driveway. But Rally photog sucked up cash and time.

Then saw 'My Legnum', been watching out for some time for the right combo of bits....and there it was. Subie all paid for and reliable, fun Cyborg for when I wanted to hoon, wifes VR4 for serious driving but ......had to have it.

So it's costing me heaps to pay it off, it sucks expensive 98 gas, requires serious maintenance, hates big bumps (18"s), scrapes it bloody nose on white lines that are too thick and goes like a scalded cat and I love it. It craps on everything when it's chucking down with rain and there are corners and rough roads to get through. It effortlessly eats Commies and Fords up hills and round corners. It swallows up all our Rally gear into the back and those Recaro's keep us all sweet on the long drive to where ever the event is.

It gets washed every week, polished every 3-4 months and will get a full cut and polish 2 x a year. On the motorway cars ahead of it get out of the way when it comes up behind them.

So the Subie got traded, the Cyborg got sold and the Legnum lives in the garage. Just wish I could afford to take it out now and then ....Petrol $$$$$$ LOL

Most awesome 'family 'wagon I've ever had... :pimp2:

jaimz
18-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm 26, full licence etc... one incident in the last 3 years (minor nose-to-side with a Beemer :sad3:) although I think that's probably lapsed as far as insurance is concerned.
Paying close to $900 with Tower, and we have everything else insured with them too... I reckon (judging from some of the other posts) this is WAY too much, and am currently looking at other options.

By the way Robotnik, I called NAC and they quoted me $2.5k!!! Could that just be the difference between 26 and 32yo..? I doubt it!

detonate
28-04-2006, 07:52 AM
PS: Kia Ora det - I'm Drews mate Dan, I've met you a couple times :happy:

Hrm, I know 2 of Drew's mates called Dan, neither of which own a VR4 :P

More description please.

Pescha
28-04-2006, 08:58 AM
I pay $400 a year full cover... through IAG New Zealand Limited!

bradc
28-04-2006, 09:43 AM
damnit I need titties :)

Kenneth
28-04-2006, 10:01 AM
damnit I need titties :)

There are hormone supplements that will give them to you...

jervis
28-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Hrm, I know 2 of Drew's mates called Dan, neither of which own a VR4 :P

More description please.

Ahhh, well you'll find that one of them does now! ;)

Next time I see you I'll be the guy that comes up and starts raving about VR4s - that will be the best way to tell ;)

kiwistorm
29-04-2006, 11:19 AM
So hey guys, the lady in the bunch gets her insurance for $514.95 a year thats for Legnum 97 VR4 with ASB, oh and yes insured for value by them at $21,000.

ShadyNZer
29-04-2006, 11:35 AM
i hard out need to get insurance...

Pescha
30-04-2006, 12:56 AM
the lady in the bunch

Mmmmm the last time I looked I was a lady toooooo lol!

Rossco Type-S
30-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Mmmmm the last time I looked I was a lady toooooo lol!

Have you checked recently though? LOL