PDA

View Full Version : its all gone pete tong

KEENY
14-04-2006, 07:36 PM
ok so i got myself a nice little socket set from halfords to tighten up my squeeling alternator belt... but when i got there i was stopped by the nut on the alternator that you have to loosen in order to tighten it up. the silly ass that had the car before me has managed to round the nut off.

i can only just get the socket in that small space never mind play around with it....
so guess its going to a garage then..

doh!!

psbarham
14-04-2006, 07:45 PM
uh ???? why do you need the alternator loosing off ? the only nut you need to undo is in the middle of the tensioner pulley (14mm if i remember correctly) and then tighten the bolt that runs through the length of the tensioner , and then re tighten the middle nut

BraindG
14-04-2006, 07:53 PM
^ what he said.

KEENY
14-04-2006, 08:15 PM
is it not the bolt that is one of the cogs that the belt goes around??

Nick Mann
14-04-2006, 08:30 PM
The red circles show the bolt that needs loosening to allow adjustment of belt tension. The blue circle shows the bolt that screws the tensioner wheel in and out. There is only one blue circle as the photo is not a good one to show the adjustment bolts. the top one is hidden by the pipe near the dipstick and the bottom one is not even in the photo!!

But hopefully you can see enough for the general idea - loosen the tensioner pulley and then adjust the height of the pulley with the long thread to adjust the belt tension.

Also remember this is a 6a13tt, not a 6a13, so the top end may look a bit different. (2 extra cams!)

KEENY
14-04-2006, 08:32 PM
ok here is a pic of the nut i was trying to undo in order to loosen..

Paul Beazer
15-04-2006, 09:37 AM
I think Keeny was actually doing the right thing guys.

If I understand this correctly, the bolt head in the middle of the tensioner pulley is rounded off, yes? I which case you may have problems.
If i remember correclty i had an access problem for the same bolt.
I did the following (not recommended, but there was no alternative at the time)

Remove the whole tensioner assembly (4 bolts mount it to the side of the block) by doing the following.
Some of the bolts were inacessible with the pulley in place, so i undid the 2 bolts i could get at, then undid the tension adjuster bolt as much a possible, making sure its still threaded into the bottom bit (this wont actually adjust the pulley as its still locked in place by the centre bolt, but the bolt itself should raise up by an inch or so) and carefully (!) hammered the tension adjust bolt down (i did this using a socket and long extension bar), hopefully pushing the whole tesioning pulley down with it, thus allowing you access the the 2 other mounting bolts. Once you have removed the mounting assembly you can hopefully loosen the rounded centre bolt.

I take no responsibility for any fcuk ups or damage that may occur as a result of my suggested method. Having said that it worked for me, but i did have to scavenge a few bolts from my parts bin as i sheared several of the mounting bolts when reinstalling them (yes i used a torqe wrench!)

KEENY
15-04-2006, 06:57 PM
im just not that good with cars so im going to take it to a garage and let them charge me a silly amount for sorting it out...

doh!!

psbarham
15-04-2006, 06:59 PM
im just not that good with cars so im going to take it to a garage and let them charge me a silly amount for sorting it out...

doh!!
ooh before you give them the shirt off your back , where abouts are you ? there maybe someone near by that can help you

Paul Beazer
15-04-2006, 07:26 PM
If you're in hampshire and want a hand give me a shout (you'd need to meet me on portsmouth), otherwise...... someone else can try!

richy rich
15-04-2006, 09:20 PM

doh!!
we can do it very cheap if you are close to us (stoke on trent)