View Full Version : where to start

stuartturbo
14-04-2006, 09:25 PM
currently have a standardish VR4
what mods are recommended
it has a superdragger style rear box going on
HKS filter and bov
thrust intercooler

its a pre face lift so it's running lower power ( how do the facelift get extra power)
going to decat it first then recomendations

WildCards
14-04-2006, 09:38 PM
How much power do you want?

This thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13472&highlight=bang+buck) is quite good for info.

Prefacelift = 260hp
Postfacelift = 280hp

Although the 'improvements' listed in that thread will negate any difference the two have.

bradc
14-04-2006, 09:41 PM
I think that it comes down to just how much money you are going to spend on it in the long run, the mods you are doing there are a good start, you may also want to get a boost controller as an increase in boost will give a large performance increase.

Pod Filters are a little controversial, the stock cold air intake is quite good already, and I would suggest you buy a K&N Panel Filter or the Ralliart one.

The BOV will let you hold boost a little better, the stock one leaks a bit, especially at higher boost settings.

Nick Mann
14-04-2006, 10:05 PM
For power, look at boost controlling and fuel mapping.

For driveability, look at brakes.

Axeboy
14-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Isnt that expensive for a difference.

Filter as said, panel or maybe ARC box :)
Boost Controller - makes a huge difference, i hate going back to normal boost
Exhaust, you already have.
Decat
Brakes - as nick says, might be good to do these first depending how quickly you want to go :p

Those mods wont cost much, but at say.. 0.85bar, you'll notice a big difference.

Just dont go too high... like 1.4 bar... hehe

Although it was fun :p

Anything after this sint going to make much of a difference in my opinion, without spending a fair bit more.

unless people hurry up and sell downpipes or something...

richy rich
15-04-2006, 07:12 AM
unless people hurry up and sell downpipes or something...
this is on the list of things im looking at making as well

soapy1978
15-04-2006, 06:36 PM
currently have a standardish VR4
what mods are recommended
it has a superdragger style rear box going on
HKS filter and bov
thrust intercooler

its a pre face lift so it's running lower power ( how do the facelift get extra power)
going to decat it first then recomendations

as for a boost controler we'll have to meet up and i take you out in mine and your see the difference from 0.5 bar to 1.0 bar/help

Fritzz
15-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Questions about the turbos:

How much boost can the original turbos handle without taking damage or getting "tired"??

How long have you driven with boosted original turbos and does anyone experience any problems after a while??

I don´t want to change turbos after a couple of months because of too much boost. :)

Axeboy
15-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Lots of info available on boost.

Id say 0.85 bar is a safe maximum, although my old car ran at 0.9/1.0 reliably for ever

bradc
15-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Fritzz, they are very small turbos and in my opinion with a stock piping setup anything above about 14psi/1bar is starting to push things. You may also have problems with the stock computer and fuel cut problems.

bradc
15-04-2006, 10:38 PM
something to remember as well that I forgot to add is that 20psi through a straw is going to be better for the turbos than 5psi through a drainpipe :) Have a look at my engine bay in my vbgarage and you will see that I am changing all the turbo piping in my engine bay, and have a look for the NZ workshop day that was held for pictures of Uc's engine bay with all the piping replaced.

Uc's car makes 205kw at the wheels with only 9psi boost. The airflow on his car at 9psi is obviously a lot higher than any stock setup ever could be, and mine will hopefully be the same. I bet that his turbos at 9psi are under a lot more stress than most people's turbos are at 14psi.

Fritzz
16-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Ok. Nice.
Thanks Bradc for an very informative and excellent answer (as always) :2thumbsup

bradc
16-04-2006, 01:00 AM
reputation points! reputation points! reputation points! reputation points! :)

Another thing worth adding is that even if you can't keep above 10psi at higher rpm, you will still be able to run 15psi at lower rpm, 3000-4500rpm which will give you a huge increase in midrange power. The Apexi AVC-R is a boost controller capable of this as an example. Remember that you don't always drive your car at 6000rpm anyway, our turbos are small and boost up very early, so you may as well make the most of it.

Fritzz
16-04-2006, 08:59 PM
So if i wan´t more power at lower rpm then i can increase the boost up to 5000 maybe?

Sounds very good!
Thanks again. :)