PDA

View Full Version : AYC 1 bar almost constantly lit

Ollpen
14-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I just put on my 18"/235 yesterday, and since then ive had 1 AYC bar lit almost constantly. I think i do know why its lit, cause the tyres are different worn and wider than supposed to.

Question is;
Does this cause the AYC to work hard or work at all, and if yes (wich probably is the case) will it affect the lifetime of the AYC?

Could be good to know if im slowly killing my AYC by doing this and if so i recon its cheaper to get the tyres replaced to be safe.

bradc
14-04-2006, 09:54 PM
The first thing to do is to check your tyre pressures are identical at the back, after that you might be able to swap one of the front tyres with one on the back that is a closer match for the other tyre?

The AYC will slowly kill itself by overheating not only itself but the oil. Once the oil gets into bad shape, it will start to cause problems as well to the AYC unit.

Nick Mann
14-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah - overwork is a bad thing. The AYC reacts badly to different rolling speeds of the tyres - so different sizes, different pressures, extreme different wears.

Put four identical tyres on and inflate them all correctly and the AYC will be fine. I run 17" 235's and have no problem with the AYC.

Louis
14-04-2006, 11:10 PM
All the gizmos are very clever(and very good to have), and can help lots, but also catch you out, as it is easy to confuse them!.
I had one AYC light coming on when driving in a straight line (normal driving), just by chance I checked my tyre pressures and found the front right to be quite low, I topped it up and noticed the AYC light didn't come on, a week later it was back on, I checked and found I had a slow puncture, puncture fixed no more AYC light!!!.
Now, whether this was planned by mitsy, or it's just a good side affect from the system doesn't really matter, point is that the system noticed!!.
When I got my legnum, it different tyres on the front and rear, no special brand, I used to get ayc lights quite a lot at round abouts etc. I put 4 goodyear eagle f1 gd 3 's on and hardly get the ayc lights when driving normally(cheaper tyres slipping on road surface = ayc lights, better tyres gripping road surface= no ayc lights) so tyre different sizes may do something!!! to the system(or may not), cheers Louis

(I run 235/45/17's with no probs)

kato
15-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Im running with 18's and have had no problems, have you tried disconecting the battery for a few minutes and see if the ECU sorts it out as a reset.

bradc
15-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Louis, I think it is a side effect, but a very good side effect :)

When I first bought my car it had Bridgestone Grid II's on the front and ****ty Yokohama's on the back. I got ayc bars coming up all the time. I changed to GSD3 F1's and now it is a lot harder to get the AYC bars coming up.

Nick Mann, some of the rally evo's now are being setup with the AYC system on in New Zealand. The rally teams are installing large AYC Oil Coolers to keep the AYC happy.

richy rich
15-04-2006, 06:50 AM
i had one ayc light for a wile until i changed to better and wider tyres.

thanks nick:2thumbsup

check tyres and presser this is a good reason for your problems.

ayc is not designed to run all the time, so if it is running all the time you will do as others have said and cook the oil witch in turn will damage the clutch pack,
and ayc pump etc

Ollpen
01-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Ok, some more specific info about the problem that ive discovered since last time i wrote.

On every other startup i have no problem whatsoever with the AYC bars, but every other start its messing around like hell. When that happens i stop at the side of the road, turn ignition off, remove the keys, wait for 10 secs and start up again, and after that there is no problem with it.

This means that something triggers the AYC to start messing around, it IS traction related as it stops glowing when i turn right and 2 bars comes up when i turn left. BUT, at the times it doesnt light up it works properly and it will light up as usual when i make a hard turn.

What could cause the AYC to change calibration on every other startup?

Nick Mann
01-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Sorry, I have no idea! It is hopefully a silly problem though. Possibly a wheel sensor? Do you notice if ABS/traction kicks in easier when the AYC is misbehaving? Maybe one of your sensors is reading incorrectly?

BraindG
01-05-2006, 02:18 PM
you reset the ECU's?

bradc
01-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Or maybe a sensor is slightly dirty or faulty and sometimes sends incorrect readings to the computer?