PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter

T4Primera
10-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Im going to change the fuel filter on my Legnum VR4 but I need a bit of a hand.
First, where is the fuel filter, is it by the tank or in the engine bay?
Second, which is the Fuel Pump Fuse. All my manuals are in Japanese and I can't work out which one it is?
Finally, is there any particular fuel filter that Mitsi recommend, or are there any that people would recommend using?

Thanks

Mark

BraindG
10-10-2003, 08:33 AM
First, where is the fuel filter, is it by the tank or in the engine bay?

The fuel filters is a pain to change. you need to take off the bottom back seat, unscrew the 4 screws, unhook everything underneath, loosen the big cap thats there, remove that assembly, and your fuel filter is under all of it. pain in the arse.

the others two, im not 100% sure about.. so ill keep quiet for now..

T4Primera
15-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Has anyone changed the fuel filter in their car. My mate went to get a Dyno tune and the first thing the guy said was to replace the fuel filter. When he did he got an extra 23hp because the old filter was so blocked up, that the engine was not getting enough fuel and the ecu was holding it back. The mechanic said never to fill up at a station that has just been refilled by a fuel tanker. He said the fuel tankers stir up all the sh*t in the bottom of the tanks. It gets pumped into your tank and blocks your filter!
I was planning on replacing mine, to be safe and maybe gain a couple hp.
My plan was to find the fuel pump fuse, pull that out, and wait for the car to use up all the gas in the fuel system, so I could replace the filter. Has anyone done this. Does it sound like a good plan.
Is there anything special I should know about fuel filters for the VR4?

Cheers

Mark

BraindG
15-10-2003, 12:02 PM
if you find the fuse give me a shout! still looking for the bugger...

as far as im aware theres nothing special about our fuel filters..

Brind
15-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Increase from a new fuel filter? must be a rare occasion!! I've got a 2.0i Sierra I use for work and the fuel filter wasn't changed for years, and the mileage is up to around 90k it looks really grim, changed it and it made no difference what so ever.