PDA

View Full Version : ATF Blowback?

ghanda
21-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Anyone come across this:

Having the car off the road for last 2 months, thanks in part to a couple of gaskets on order from Japan to cure some oil leaks, I was dismayed to find a couple of drops still there. I parked up on a couple of sheets of white A3 for a few nights to make sure it wasn't just residue (which it shouldn't have been - I watched Andy steam clean and re-lube everywhere)

What was odd was that the amount of oil overnight varied - from a dozen drops to one or two and more worryingly, I could see two distinct colours - brown and red...

Following the oil trail back it's obvious it's coming from the top of the engine - and the only 'wet' part of the engine was a small pool of ATF fluid around the base of the dipstick, around the white plastic bit.

Cleaned it all off with Orange, and jet washed it off. Came home today, after thinking there was something up - the smell: (I posted the other day about how I might have a blocked pollen filter, because I could smell more? I suspect what I am smelling is burning ATF fluid)

So the red puddle is back, dripping down the engine and on to the floor. Hence the two different colours and the smell I'm getting in the cabin.

It's blowing back, up the tube and over the ATF dipstick. The dipstick appears normal - I mean how do you check if it's loose? I know that sounds silly but loose in terms of not being able to withstand the pressure from the ATF fluid...and should there be enough pressure in the ATF system to be able to dis-lodge the dipstick?

Any help please guys! Found the problem (at last!) just need cure now!

richy rich
21-04-2006, 03:02 PM
not some thing ive heard of before

where the dip stick goes in to the box is roughly where all the solinoids are there could be a seal gone in that area.

psbarham
22-04-2006, 08:42 AM
it sounds like a blocked breather somewhere on the box , its a bit like a bov , as the pressure builds inside the box it pushes a valve that releases all the excess air , don't worry this not happening on the pressure side , just on the empty spaces within the box ( does this make any sense ??)

Kieran
22-04-2006, 10:37 AM
I presume you're on about an internal breather valve Paul? I've got a spare W5A51 sat in my garage - can't see any breather tubes?

ghanda
22-04-2006, 12:04 PM
"I've got a spare W5A51 sat in my garage "

...as you do :D :D :D

bradc
22-04-2006, 12:19 PM
And I've got a spare 6a13tt in mine :)

Kieran, do you need the closest 2-3 inches of the bellhousing to the engine? I need to mate an EVO 8 gearbox up to my engine and a spare bellhousing would be really helpful

Kieran
22-04-2006, 03:40 PM
I do I'm afraid Brad. I picked up the gearbox from Mo - I'm sending it off to a Transmission parts manufacturer over here so that they can disassemble it and examine the parts to see if they're compatible with other Mitsubishi units - It's what I was on about in the members area - see here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14332&highlight=knackered

ghanda
22-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Anyway, back on topic...;)

....after a thorough de-grease with Orange, it does look as if ATF fluid is forcing its way up the dipstick tube and down the sides. The ATF dipstick isn't the best design and with no rubber O-ring, I reckon the spring clip has lost it's tension

bradc
22-04-2006, 09:03 PM
ghanda, I noticed on my dipstick that oil does cover the whole thing if I take it out when the car has been used recently, you might be on the right track.

Maybe you could just get a rag or something and tie it up very tightly around the top and see if that stops it.

ghanda
22-04-2006, 11:04 PM
LOL a problem with one of the most advanced cars to come out of Japan in the 90's...sorted with a some stockingnette and a cable-tie :D
I'll let you know how I get on :)

psbarham
28-04-2006, 07:41 AM
I presume you're on about an internal breather valve Paul? I've got a spare W5A51 sat in my garage - can't see any breather tubes?
sorry for the delay replying to this (100+hrs this week :zzz: ) there should be some way for the gearbox to release and introduce air as the oil heats and cools , if you didn't it would start to crack the casting and puts excess pressure on vital seals as it heats up and gases are produced , you also get the same problem when it cools , if no air is itroduced to the housing then a vacuum will form and will cause various problems with cracking and putting negative pressure on the seals . a lot the severity of this depends on the size of gearbox and in the greater scheme of things ours are a small box ( people wishing to say "you've never tried to lift one have you? " can go and stand in the corner now coz you have never seen a BIG gearbox ) so these problems are minimal but it will build enough pressure to make a small qauntity of oil puke out of places it shouldn't really